World Class Hamburger Review

Finlaco

I'm not sure that is the place that David is talking about. I think he is talking about one that is on the left coming from Mae Sai. Personally, I would not seek out a chicken or pork burger but we will stop at Companion soon and test the coffee. Thanks for the directions.

Correct its on the left past mai fuluang uni....It is a purpose built resteurant with lots of glass and hard wood.Open type plan.you cant miss it...sorry cannot remember the name or exactly where it is but as I have said its a real Burger with fat Crinkle cut fries and cheese.Toasted bun and coleslaw...Iam looking forward to my next MaI SAI TRIP SO AS TO TRY SOMETHING ELSE THERE.has a beautiful bar area and serves cocktails as well.beer of course.......If this place was in the town WCB would not see any customers! Well of course they would but there is no one standing outside trying to lure customers in while draging on a cigerette! that is always a put off seeing that for me and would not step inside that place....But thats me ....

Okay. I think I know now. Building, all by itself, big parking lot, new or about a year old, no other buildings adjoining the property, east side of the highway. I thought it was probably just a glorified, expensive coffee shop. I'll stop in one day and try the burger on for size.

Edited by kandahar

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kandahar mate

It's probably stating the obvious seeing as your favourable reviews put me onto

this place. But, have you tried the burgers at Work @ Home?

Since reading your reviews, I have been there several times and have

found the burgers excellent. Really nice buns, nice meat and fresh salad.

If you haven't, do yourself a favour and give them a crack.

Regards

Will

Kandahar mate

Regards

Will

Agreed. And the Doi Chaang burgers are pretty darn tasty too!

Kandahar mate

Regards

Will

Hi Will. I have tried them and I find them to be okay. If you like that style, fat and small around, then the Wiang Inn is the place to go. In my opinion, the Wiang Inn has the best burger in town of that style. For me, as little as I go to Work @ Home, I always have to go with the home-made bread sandwiches.

Kandahar mate

Regards

Will

Haven't tried those yet. Are they little and fat?

Hence my ealier post "Mein Gott.....what happened to.....". Has anyone tried one of Ricos burgers? I noticed they were on the menu there. Will have to try out the ones near Ban Du (sp?). But believe me, the next time I am in CM....I will be doing a burger fix, for sure! Hardly ever when I was back stateside, would I ever go to BurgerKing, but here (in Thailand, CR withstanding)....with the scarcity of such culinary delights, they are by far the best tasting ones in the country that I have found to date. bon apatite....PP

6 km Don.... ? B)

Agree your burgers are good though, I took a visiting member and his wife out there earlier this year and both gave them the thumbs up.

I keep meaning to try one but always end up ordering the tacos.

Yes i can vouch for that.

It was us. :D

Kandahar mate

Regards

Will

Haven't tried those yet. Are they little and fat?

No, they are a fair bit big bigger than the small but tasty burgers that can be found at work@home, the DC burger is one of the best around!

If that the place called "Phuvaree" (or something similar)?

I pass it on the way into town and also thought it looked like an expensive/touristy coffee shop.

If it has good burgers though I may have to check it out...

On my way back from Maisai yesterday we stopped there as there being a lot of talk about the great burgers so I wanted to have one. WELL they had nothing to sell not even a crumb,chip or anything and the girls said "all gone".

The Iced Mocka was great but I really wanted one of their Burgers. Maybe next time.

Edited by sbk

Can someone who knows exactly where this place is, put it on the TV CR map? I know how to get to Mai Sai and all, but I don't really know the area that well, just the highway. I have to make the yearly visa run in September and would love to try it out. Thanks. PP

Can someone who knows exactly where this place is, put it on the TV CR map? I know how to get to Mai Sai and all, but I don't really know the area that well, just the highway. I have to make the yearly visa run in September and would love to try it out. Thanks. PP

Its before you get to Mai Faluang Uni on the left...Sorry before I thought it was after.Its not called Phuverree or the like

All the previous directions and posts had me confused as to what restaurant and where:

Think this is the place as described:

Go North on Super Hwy #1 from Mae Fa Luang Univ.

Past the PTT Benzine Station and 7-11.

West Side of the Road (left when going north).

Sign says "STEAK HOUSE" It used to be a single family home, but converted into a Boutique type environment.

If you get to the Cosmo Benzine Station, turn around. Can also try the Teak House restaurant on the East Side of the Highway if making a U Turn at the Cosmo Station. Varied menu including Falang food. Tried it once a few months back, Nice.

Okay....I got it! It is north of Chiang Rai and south of Mae Sai on the west side of the superhighway near the STEAK sign, kind of in the vicinity of Mah Fah Luang University. I can find it...really. It is all good. Besides, I really do miss Easter. Mind you , I am not that far off from being able to hid my own eggs....been diagnosed with CSR....or was that CRS....hmmmmm.....can't remember. Anyway, There are no such things as problems...only challenges. Now, if I can only remember where I put the car keys......PP

I suppose I'll have a look for it on the next trip to the border. But that will be a bit. And it won't be lunch time. Maybe on the way back.............

But for now, too much going on here to make the drive.

Edited by kandahar

This is a true hamburger story but I will not name the place. Wouldn't want one incident to hurt the place in the eyes of others. The owner does frequent the forum though. The place is outside of CR.

I met forum friends there for lunch and I ordered the cheeseburger. I was told that they didn't have the cheeseburger because they didn't have cheese. I ordered the hamburger, with fries. The meals for everyone else arrived and the rest of the crowd began enjoying their lunch. I waited. And waited. Finally, my burger and fries arrived. The burger was cold; not even slightly warm. The fries were hot. I figured out why the burger had taken so long to arrive and why it was cold. It was a burger from the 7-11, five or six K down the road. Seriously. I know 7-11 burgers and there was no mistaking the chopped pork patty, the bun, the distinct taste or the 7-11 toppings that were on it. As I studied it, I recalled that shortly after I ordered, one of the staff had gone outside and gotten on a motorcycle and left. I didn't pay any attention after that and didn't hear the motorcycle return but the staff member was back inside now. Slow trip to the 7-11 and charge me the menu price for a 30 baht burger. I think the menu showed 80 baht for the hamburger. I don't know why they didn't just say they were out of burgers. I would have tried something else. But after that episode, there is NO chance of me ever trying something else there.

Edited by kandahar

Ok for the non believers. The place is called Teak House and not far past Mae Chan on the way back from Mai Sai on the left.Sorry to the Where's Wally brigade! Now be critical about The Teak House in a objective way.....

I, and probably many others that don't know, thank you. Thank you very much. I am looking forward to the visit and hope I hit it on an up day. PP

Has anyone got a phone number for any good hamburger joints?

I can't walk, and sometimes I get hungry while driving around, but I need to contact any place by phone to order.. Thanks :)

Edited by LJW

Excellent. Now I have 2 burgers to try on future trips into town.

Teak House on the way into town.

Steak House on the way back home.

:)

I vaguely remember seeing signs for these places but have never stopped or paid much attention to them.

Will look out for them now though!

The place just past Mae Chan on the way into CR is called "Teak Cafe".

It is an orange building or orange sign.

It is just before you get to the Cosmo on the other side of the highway - so when you see the Cosmo on the other side of the road, start to slow down and look out for it.

I stopped at the "Steak House" on the western side of the highway yesterday for dinner.

They didn't have any beef burgers in stock (they are on the menu for 99B) so I had a pork burger (69B).

Was quite small, but for 69B was a decent portion.

The chips were average. Overcooked and not white and fluffy inside. They were hot and crisp though.

The salad was 3 slices of tomato, couple of onion rings, 4 slices of cucumber and some lettuce leaves.

Salad was nice and fresh.

The bun was average, soft and cake like and a bit too sweet for my taste. I prefer more bread like buns.

The burger had 2 thin pork patties which were tasty with a hint of garlic, but they were soft which suggests they were microwaved rather than cooked on a grill or fry pan.

Overall, not an amazing burger, but for 69B it's decent value and I'd eat it again, but wouldn't go seeking it out if I was craving a burger.

Oh and the Lung Ho iced black coffee was very good.

I have not tried the Steak House, altho the parking lot is full most of the time.

I did eat at the Teak House (or Cafe) a few months back.

Nice impressive menu including imported meats from Australia.

Even had Veal Parmezian (spelling ??).

The owners appear to be a young Thai couple that speak fairly good english.

I had a inexpensive steak combo meal with pepper corn sauce. and the Mrs had a a thai dish.

Both dishes were decent and not expensive at all.

Didn't try the burger, but wil next time.