Upgrading My Car To A Fortuner, Any Experience?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I trust toyota

Trying to kill a toyota

if the first owner had just rust protected it................................................

5k baht to spray and install 4 rubber/plastic inner fenders

I think it's a 1967 over 40 year's old, did they do plastic liner's then, I wonder what my Toyota would look like in 40+ year's. Look on the bright side load's of it is plastic. But as said it's a Toyota with no rear axle whine like some MPV.

This is why I trust toyota

Trying to kill a toyota

if the first owner had just rust protected it................................................

5k baht to spray and install 4 rubber/plastic inner fenders

I think it's a 1967 over 40 year's old, did they do plastic liner's then, I wonder what my Toyota would look like in 40+ year's. Look on the bright side load's of it is plastic. But as said it's a Toyota with no rear axle whine like some MPV.

guess the first plastic liners from Finnish Lokari was around 1975

• 1 month later...

In Saudi I drive a GMC Yukon and love it to bits. When over here in Thailand, IMO the Fortuna is the next best thing. Regular 500 click journeys are quite comfortable.

Just to stir up the mix somewhat: Mechanically speaking, how would (4.0L or/and a 8 cyl) Jeep Grand Cherokees, '04 and later models, with their suspension and full time 4WD compare?

In Saudi I drive a GMC Yukon and love it to bits. When over here in Thailand, IMO the Fortuna is the next best thing. Regular 500 click journeys are quite comfortable.

Just to stir up the mix somewhat: Mechanically speaking, how would (4.0L or/and a 8 cyl) Jeep Grand Cherokees, '04 and later models, with their suspension and full time 4WD compare?

Albeit I don't know what size the Engine is, a mate of mine bought a Cherokee a few months ago to do desert driving and he thinks it's great. It looks nice too, all fully loaded.

Please forget the Mu7 and present Everest with its dated rear leaf springs, and Mu7 tiny 3 sensor ABS brakes

Basicly 4 attractive SUV vehicles in TH below 1,5 million baht

CRV and Captiva, both frontwheeldrive car based, with viscose awd assisting when frontwheels are already slipping. Both car-like to drive, both useless off road, both sensible for loads (rear wheels start dancing uncontrolled when loaded), CRV very heavy on fuel if pushed above 120kmh, and all petrol models underpowered, only Captiva diesel adequate on power

Fortuna and Pajero. Both sturdy, both powerfull engines, both feels like something inbetween the 2 above and pickups to drive, full time 4x4 makes traction excellent, both seat 7 and still have cargo space, both excellent brakes even when loaded heavily, both low on fuel, both able to carry load and remain stability, both very low running costs for initial 2-300.000km

as I travel with load, high speeds on highways, and on dirt roads and in flooded areas, only two left to choose from, Fortuna and Pajero Sport

i have a fortuner and a pajero........

the fortuner is better

Update on 40,000 service If anyone want's to know. Engine oil, filter, fuel filter, Brake fluid, Steering fluid, front/rear axle oil, gearbox oil, wheel's off and brake's cleaned greased, new air filter for air con: Plus the usual bit's is 5,680bt inc. That's at Toyota. Take's about two hour's with two of them doing it.

Thanks for the info, hey my CRV is a 7 seater too, but the back seats (which I took out) face the rear and folds out.With the leather seats and arm cushion its really comfortable. But its time to upgrade.The Pajero IMO looks like sheet, I love the look of the Fortuner, it looks nice and meaty.A black Fortuner looks great IMO, just want to know if they have any regular problems, like sheety gear boxes etc.

We bought three new 2008 Fortuners and have not had any problems what so ever. Ours actually get used allot in the dirt, mud in our work and I've never been let down. I drive 1-2 times monthly from the office in BKK to my home in CM and for me it takes the curves just fine and has plenty of power. As in any vehicle, preventive maintenance is always essential to a long life. I have only used a synthetic oil for the engine with changes every 10,000 kilometers. Filter I change ever other time and have only changed the transmission fluid once in 145,000 kilometers. Must watch out when someone puts air in your tires and to make sure they don't put too much in. Allot of places will put in 40-45 psi in them and that will give you a hard ride. I put 32 psi in ours and the ride is just fine. If I know I'll just be in the city, I'll even go down to 30 psi in the front and 27 psi in the rear. All in all I'll keep buying the Fortuner as it's worked out great for us and they don't get anymore dependable than Toyota in my book.

Thanks for the info, hey my CRV is a 7 seater too, but the back seats (which I took out) face the rear and folds out.With the leather seats and arm cushion its really comfortable. But its time to upgrade.The Pajero IMO looks like sheet, I love the look of the Fortuner, it looks nice and meaty.A black Fortuner looks great IMO, just want to know if they have any regular problems, like sheety gear boxes etc.

We bought three new 2008 Fortuners and have not had any problems what so ever. Ours actually get used allot in the dirt, mud in our work and I've never been let down. I drive 1-2 times monthly from the office in BKK to my home in CM and for me it takes the curves just fine and has plenty of power. As in any vehicle, preventive maintenance is always essential to a long life. I have only used a synthetic oil for the engine with changes every 10,000 kilometers. Filter I change ever other time and have only changed the transmission fluid once in 145,000 kilometers. Must watch out when someone puts air in your tires and to make sure they don't put too much in. Allot of places will put in 40-45 psi in them and that will give you a hard ride. I put 32 psi in ours and the ride is just fine. If I know I'll just be in the city, I'll even go down to 30 psi in the front and 27 psi in the rear. All in all I'll keep buying the Fortuner as it's worked out great for us and they don't get anymore dependable than Toyota in my book.

+1

the fortuner is better

Could you be more specific, I heard from many posters that the pajero is more car like to drive?

I am changing the tin can City hopefully next year so I am very keen to know as much as possible before parting any money.

Please forget the Mu7 and present Everest with its dated rear leaf springs, and Mu7 tiny 3 sensor ABS brakes

CRV and Captiva, both frontwheeldrive car based, with viscose awd assisting when frontwheels are already slipping. Both car-like to drive, both useless off road, both sensible for loads (rear wheels start dancing uncontrolled when loaded), CRV very heavy on fuel if pushed above 120kmh, and all petrol models underpowered, only Captiva diesel adequate on power

Fortuna and Pajero. Both sturdy, both powerfull engines, both feels like something inbetween the 2 above and pickups to drive, full time 4x4 makes traction excellent, both seat 7 and still have cargo space, both excellent brakes even when loaded heavily, both low on fuel, both able to carry load and remain stability, both very low running costs for initial 2-300.000km

as I travel with load, high speeds on highways, and on dirt roads and in flooded areas, only two left to choose from, Fortuna and Pajero Sport

the fortuner is better

THAT, is a very interesting post. Would like to hear your experiences and why your quote. Must admit l am a Toyota guy but would really like to know why your preference. :)

the fortuner is better

THAT, is a very interesting post. Would like to hear your experiences and why your quote. Must admit l am a Toyota guy but would really like to know why your preference. :)

the fortuner seems bigger and wider overall, it has a greater presence on the road

the pajero feels like a fortuner thats been squeezed in the middle and the results have made it made thinner and higher

the pajero is higher off the ground and is more difficult to get into for older folks and small kids

also i often bang my head on the door frame getting in,

i am not 200 kilos or anything but i find the driving position on the pajero more confined than the fortuner

my knees don't bang against the centre console in the fortuner they do on the pajero

the seats are more comfortable in the toyota on long trips, no numb bum with the fort

the leather cracked on the pajero seats within 30,000 km after 50,000 on the toyota

the fortuner has auto door lock after a few hundred metres, the pajero doesn't

the toyotas more powerful with better gear ratios for overtaking and kickdown

the toyotas engines not as noisy as the mitsubishi

the toyotas a better ride and is quieter with less road noise

less squeeks and rattles on the fort

the toyota is much cheaper to service and has been more reliable

ie spent less time at the dealers and toyota dealers are bettter

things i would like on the fortuner that the pajero has

the last row of seats in the pajero hide in the floor pan until you need them

i took them out of the toyota altogether i hated them hanging there in space obstructing my vision

electric folding mirrors, pajero has, fortuner doesn't

electric seats on paj, not fortuner

the down side is that at every traffic light you feel like you are at a Fort rally

they are so popular, its like everyone has one

the Pajero, not so much, so therea bit more elitist element with the pajero

final word, in my view the Fort just feels better made and more solid overall,

i would buy a fortuner again not a pajero

Mate I've owned 2 Fortuners in Thailand over the past 4 years and rented a CRV on a trip to Chang Mai not long ago.

Fortuner I've always liked and they've dated well. Toyota must be laughing. My issue is that these vehicles are really starting to date. Especially their interiors and dynamics. Toyota will only get away with their cosmetic changes for so long. Interiors have hardly changed in at least 5 years.

CRV I seriously considered one last year, but heard they were very thirsty. I also found them a little crampt. There's a new model around the corner and it looks nice.

I'd also suggest looking at other alternatives. I never thought I'd say this, but the latest Chevrolet also get's a good rap. Another good Aussie design.

Happy motoring

I currently have 2005 Honda CRV which has been a great car, I also had one in Sydney when I was there and never had a problem with it apart from the normal wear and tear. If anyone was looking to buy a second hand car I would highly recommend getting one, My wife bought it as new and with a little care it has lasted.

But now we want an upgrade, we want to get a Toyota Fortuner. I drive to work everyday and drive through bumpy roads, love going on road trips and I think it would handle it better than the CRV. I have a friend who has one and he loves it, but would like to know from other people who has one, any common problems? etc. I test drove my mates one and loved it.

So whats the fuel consumtion like?

Any known faults?

Anything else would be nice regarding advice.

If it's comfort you want, why would you get a Fortuner? It's a pick up truck with seats in the back.

Get a nice full size sedan.

the fortuner is better

I ate a piece of bark and the sole of a shoe. The bark was better.

Seriously. Comfort with cheap but overpriced SUVs? An oxymoron

A mitsubishi, Toyota or Honda truck for $45,000? That's good value? You could get a Lexus for that.

Edited by thaicruze

the fortuner is better

A mitsubishi, Toyota or Honda truck for $45,000? That's good value? You could get a Lexus for that.

couple of things, anyone who buys a car based on an on line review is a moron

go rent one before you buy

before i came to Thailand i had an S class Mercedes

i liked it, i didn't like the Lexus LS which i could have had instead

i could not see the merit in buying either single model here at the high costs involved

my opinion is only that, an opinion, i like the fortuner, the pajero somewhat less

for sure though i wouldn't want a Cruze, i like to look down on small car drivers from my lofty tower...........

ps i think a toyota pickup with seats in the back is called a Vigo

Edited by timekeeper

the fortuner is better

And talking about morons, I hear they often choose to buy a Cruze

Here in the Philippines, we call Fortuners "Tagtag"...

it's the sound it makes and the ride when you sit in the back seat..

Same as the Sportivo,but theres no choise here. I may be wrong but Brit Ferangs here never had that type of Pick Up at home,so most like them becase they look Tonka Toyish. Plus Thai Women demand them.:D

Same as the Sportivo,but theres no choise here. I may be wrong but Brit Ferangs here never had that type of Pick Up at home,so most like them becase they look Tonka Toyish. Plus Thai Women demand them.:D

you are wrong

pickups have been around UK for more than 10 years

ford ranger, nissan frontier and navarras

hilux invincible (vigo), mitsubishi L200 (triton)

so rest assured Brits do not have to come to Thailand to drive Tonka trucks nor to pander to the wants of demanding Thai women, unless thats your bag of course.........

Same as the Sportivo,but there's no choice here. I may be wrong but Brit Ferangs here never had that type of Pick Up at home,so most like them because they look Tonka Toyish. Plus Thai Women demand them.:D

you are wrong

so rest assured Brits do not have to come to Thailand to drive Tonka trucks nor to pander to the wants of demanding Thai women, unless that's your bag of course.........

Correct. :)

Same as the Sportivo,but there's no choice here. I may be wrong but Brit Ferangs here never had that type of Pick Up at home,so most like them because they look Tonka Toyish. Plus Thai Women demand them.:D

you are wrong

so rest assured Brits do not have to come to Thailand to drive Tonka trucks nor to pander to the wants of demanding Thai women, unless that's your bag of course.........

You miss my point Commercial Trucks are used by Tradesmen for their trade. Here they replace passenger Cars. And pick ups were around in the U.K since the late Fourties, Jowitt and Bradford etc. These so called SUV things are trucks with seats at a stupid price..

you are wrong

He missed one out!, we had Isuzu Rodeo's at the Luton car plant for general running about jobs!

ph34r.gif

Let me just inform the peep's that think that a Fortuner is the same as a Vigo pick up they are nothing like each other. Having had a Vigo 3lt 4 door 4x4 for nearly 3 year's and a Fortuner for over 2.5 I can tell you they are both chalk and cheese. From the bottom up. EG not the same wheel's, tyre's, suspension, shock's, brake's, one has leaf one coil spring's, chassis the Vigo is much longer. Light's the Fortuner has a double set up the Vigo has one bulb one's. Then we get to the interior all the bit's are electric on the Fortuner, on the Vigo it's got manual switch's, the rest I wont go into electric leather seat's ect, suffice to say go look. How dose it handle one like a big car and the other like what it is a pick up. Do/Did I like both yes. But please don't tell me there the same. Because someone will be talking out of their Bum and it wont be me.

Let me just inform the peep's that think that a Fortuner is the same as a Vigo pick up they are nothing like each other. Having had a Vigo 3lt 4 door 4x4 for nearly 3 year's and a Fortuner for over 2.5 I can tell you they are both chalk and cheese. From the bottom up. EG not the same wheel's, tyre's, suspension, shock's, brake's, one has leaf one coil spring's, chassis the Vigo is much longer. Light's the Fortuner has a double set up the Vigo has one bulb one's. Then we get to the interior all the bit's are electric on the Fortuner, on the Vigo it's got manual switch's, the rest I wont go into electric leather seat's ect, suffice to say go look. How dose it handle one like a big car and the other like what it is a pick up. Do/Did I like both yes. But please don't tell me there the same. Because someone will be talking out of their Bum and it wont be me.

I thought they had the same road wheel dimensions, both made of alloy, same tyres, same brakes, same engine and transmission, only real difference is a bit shorter chassis and rear coil springs. ;)

I thought they had the same road wheel dimensions, both made of alloy, same tyres, same brakes, same engine and transmission, only real difference is a bit shorter chassis and rear coil springs. ;)

Same engine now same auto box so that make's it the same thing A. 16" rim's Vigo 18" on my Fortuner. Not sure what tyre's the Vigo has buy mine have Bridgestone H/P Sport P265/60R18 109V so not the same. Shock's VSC C/Control Vigo body 46cm longer, My brake's on the Vigo not a patch on the Fortuner. Vigo higher. Do you want me to go on. As stated have did own both, and I can tell you you cant throw the Vigo about same as you can a Fortuner.

Im at a Loss. Weve got a Prerunner 4 Door down the yard,and i cant tell any difference between that and the Sportivo, jeez they are just bloody Trucks,face the fact.A Pigs still a Pig, no matter how much lipstick its wareing. No Match a PJS as far as ive found .If you go too far you sound as daft a Mr Cruze, Whats wrong with it being a Posh Truck Anyway..:)