Airport Express Buses Permanently Cancelled

AyG

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I was surprised passing through the airport yesterday to see that the airport express buses that used so conveniently to connect the airport to the popular tourist areas downtown have been cancelled, effective June 1st.

Can it be they are really that desperate to get people onto the white elephant train service?

I sometimes think that the authorities here haven't a clue what tourists want, need and expect.

Why refer to the train as a white elephant? When I used it I found it to be extremely efficient.

It's infrequent, expensive and doesn't connect conveniently with public transport. The city terminal is in one of the most traffic-congested parts of Bangkok. Hardly anyone is using it - passenger numbers are down to 700 per day. It cost over 30 billion Baht to build. For that amount of money you could pay the taxi fare of 700 passengers every day for the next 391 years.

Checked the airport webiste and it does indeed seems they have terminated the airportbus for good, as there is no more mention of it.

Sad, as for many people it was convienient and reasonable priced when traveling alone. The taxi it is from now on.

1.It's infrequent, expensive and doesn't connect conveniently with public transport. The city terminal is in one of the most traffic-congested parts of Bangkok.

2.Hardly anyone is using it - passenger numbers are down to 700 per day. It cost over 30 billion Baht to build. For that amount of money you could pay the taxi fare of 700 passengers every day for the next 391 years.

@1. Nonsense-the tipical ill-informed TV-BS. Trains run ev 15 mins (the all stops) and the now revamped epxress=nonstopp ev 30 mins-in 16/17 mins to Phyathai-with direct footbridge to BTS. That BUS ran ev hour or so-at best-often with even longer gaps as noone turned up.

@2. again nonsense. That BUS had at their final monthes around 200 pax/day for ALL 4 routes. (airport publicity). The 700 WAS the total for the OLD epxress to Makkasan-since they revamped it, nr has sprung up to 1200 in a day or 2-now aorund 1500/day. The all-stops Cutyline has 30-40.000 a DAY-though of course not all to/fro airport.

Indeed, The Express to Makasan every 40 minutes and to Phaya Thai every 30 minutes is INFREQUENT.

As for the city line every 15 minutes does not compare to a subway and as of 9.15 am it runs only every 20 minutes :ermm:

What they should have done is to run City line only every 5 or 7 minutes max, the Express is useless.

I made a short Bangkok visit last week with the wife and even at 2x150B for 2 return tickets the taxi was more convenient: no waiting time, fast, 315B from Airport to hotel on Ratchadapisek and 245 back, including 50B airport charge, 25B tollway and tip for driver. Yes, I did save on tollway, no need to pay for the other 45B.

Anyway, total taxi expense at 560, can't beat the 300+2x taxi fare from Makasan.

I for one will miss the AE buses. The AE2 dropped me off about a block from my hotel when I stayed in the Khao San Road area and the AE4 dropped me right at the train station. No changes, no hassles. Luckily, the cab fare from the airport to either of those places is relatively inexpensive (especially compared to the cab fares in Chiang Mai) and being dropped off at the door, to me, makes up for the extra cost.

Of course, I miss the old Dom Muang terminal too. That was my first entry into Thailand and it holds a lot of memories.

David

Why refer to the train as a white elephant? When I used it I found it to be extremely efficient.

Because he's that "type".

umm 1,500 passengers a day by my definition is a White Elephant -- If u have used the regular trains and have an observant mind u would see that the trains are not of the same standards of the BTS or MRT. Have u not noticed that the breaking system is too strong and the seats are not comfortable (degree of pitch). If this system ever gets to the required numbers do u think that the platforms are wide enough to accommodate waiting passengers and disembarking passengers safely?

Yes it’s wrong to classify everything as T.I.T but actually its fine to critise something that isn’t working. It doesn’t make u more Thai to automatically attack a poster on TV who has a valid point. By any standards the new system is currently a white elephant.

If anything may have been characterized as a "White Elephant" it might have been the AE1/2/3/4 buses, which at 150 baht a pop, and an infrequent schedule, ran nearly empty most of the time. Maybe this is the end of a 5 year contract and thus cancelled now? Airport employees ride the 5xx public buses or mini-vans, which remain an option for budget conscious travelers who find the SARL CityLine or Express and taxis unsuitable.

For the SARL, I'm not sure they have enough rolling stock for more frequent service? Maybe they could use the express trains (not sure about that 4th car: can it handle pax or just baggage?) and run more frequent Cityline service, and shelve the Express for now?

The SARL Cityline always seems full when I use it.

Because he's that "type".

umm 1,500 passengers a day by my definition is a White Elephant -- If u have used the regular trains and have an observant mind u would see that the trains are not of the same standards of the BTS or MRT. Have u not noticed that the breaking system is too strong and the seats are not comfortable (degree of pitch). If this system ever gets to the required numbers do u think that the platforms are wide enough to accommodate waiting passengers and disembarking passengers safely?

Yes it's wrong to classify everything as T.I.T but actually its fine to critise something that isn't working. It doesn't make u more Thai to automatically attack a poster on TV who has a valid point. By any standards the new system is currently a white elephant.

You seem to ignore the fact that the Airport Line carries over 33K pax a day (1600 on the express and between 32-36k on the Cityline). Hardly, a white elephant.

An observant mind would notice that the rolling stock of the Airport Line are Desiro Class trains also used on the Heathrow Connect line made by Siemens (the same maker of the rolling stock used on the MRT & BTS save for the 12 new CNR 4 car trains operating on the BTS Silom line since late last year). So newer trains made to operate at twice the speeds that the MRT & BTS operate. Not sure what 'standards' misconception you are under?

There are problems with the platform design at some stations and yes in the future when the line is carrying 500K pax a day we will see the same congestion that one currently sees on the Sukhumvit, Silom or MRT lines (indeed any line in the world) as some platforms are narrower than they should be. Some modifications are currently being made (primarily extra escalators).

There have been many teething problems, the SRT is a very poor manager (though the operation is contracted out) and has made many foreseeable mistakes (look at how the train network is managed) and much still needs to be done. However, come up with some specifics. (check out the airport Line thread on the Airport forum)

However, by any reasonable standards your characterisations that the ARL is a white elephant is illogical given the amount of pax currently using the line in the first year of operations.

Indeed, The Express to Makasan every 40 minutes and to Phaya Thai every 30 minutes is INFREQUENT.

As for the city line every 15 minutes does not compare to a subway and as of 9.15 am it runs only every 20 minutes :ermm:

What they should have done is to run City line only every 5 or 7 minutes max, the Express is useless.

I made a short Bangkok visit last week with the wife and even at 2x150B for 2 return tickets the taxi was more convenient: no waiting time, fast, 315B from Airport to hotel on Ratchadapisek and 245 back, including 50B airport charge, 25B tollway and tip for driver. Yes, I did save on tollway, no need to pay for the other 45B.

Anyway, total taxi expense at 560, can't beat the 300+2x taxi fare from Makasan.

The line is not there to cater for most pax to/from the airport. However, at peak hour or during a heavy downpour I would want to take the Airport Line & MRT for your route. Sometimes it will be useful for some, often it won't for many. each trip has its own requirements and will dicatate different transport options. Once there is more of a network the line will have more utility.

The frequency is a big problem. You are correct that the Cityline needs to be around 7mins - 10mins. Basically, it is currently limited due to the fact that the SRT has only 5 sets of Cityline rolling stock. Moves are afoot to order 5 more sets. Basically, the Cityline has been a little more popular earlier than envisaged whilst the Express has not met the unrealistic expectations that the SRT had prior to the line opening.

The Express went from a 15min headway to what you has described due to the changes of extending the service to Phayathai while still maintaining a Makkasan service. If and when the SRT links the Express line to the Cityline tracks past Makkasan then it can revert back but currently the SRT does not have the creative capacity to consider arrangements that the Express from Phayathai can stop at the Cityline platform at Makkasan so the Express does not stop. That clearly was a design failure as was the expectation that Express trains would only run from Makkasan. (In future the Express line is planned ot be extended to Bang Sue and Don Muang which envisaged a stop at Phayathai).

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I was surprised passing through the airport yesterday to see that the airport express buses that used so

conveniently to connect the airport to the popular tourist areas downtown have been cancelled, effective June 1st.

Can it be they are really that desperate to get people onto the white elephant train service?

I sometimes think that the authorities here haven't a clue what tourists want, need and expect.

You seem to be very confused about who does what and how transport services operate to/from the airport.

The Airport Buses were owned and operated by the Thonburi Bus Co on a concession from the AOT. Clearly, if TBC are not getting the pax numbers they are not going to continue a loss making service. I am a little surprised that they cancelled all 4 routes but if we are to believe them, they were only getting around 200 pax a day! (As asanee noted in the above reply).

Also, you should note that the SRT runs the Airport Line and the AOT actually is in essence with the Airport Line give the AOT operates their Airport Limos (which have been on permanent 25% rates since the ARL opened - though I doubt many, if any, Limo pax would take the ARL) and generates the surcharge on all taxi fares. Thus, more business for the SRT means less profit for the AOT.

The only airport bus that you could rely on for a scheduled return to the airport was on KSR and that did not run in the wee hours anyway.

I'm rather happy with the airport link. The fools wait, pay more and take the express, the rest of us pay B15 and go local. Of course, local is overcrowded with similar fools overloaded with 2 30kg bags and a carry on. Not much sympathy there or anyone that has to roll a bag for that matter. Sorry Mario.

Yeah, there is a bit of a white elephant aspect to it - but does anyone remember the scorn heaped upon the BTS? We will come to love it like we do the MRT and BTS. Just the fact that I can be certain of getting to the airport and not stuck in traffic is a plus.

My hunch is the whingers that need to get to PhayaThai and trans to BTS and have loads of luggage and are impatient forgetting the same ride in "the real world" would be quite spendy.

But it has to be careful on costs. In a fleeing taxi with no traffic we can get to the airport from the flat for B105. Door to door! We take it to avoid traffic. Its also good for single trips if I send my gf back home and I still continue to wander. B15 better than B105!

I remember when blue a/c buses were a splurge for Bangkokians.

Those dam_n buses were always a ripoff. I think they got up to B150 pax so for 2 pax you could go almost anywhere in BKK on the meter from airport. 3 backpackers could taxi to KSR and actually save both money and time.

The buses were old, hot, broken - good riddance!! If its not working for you - take a taxi. I LOVE PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

Edited by bangkokburning

Those dam_n buses were always a ripoff. I think they got up to B150 pax so for 2 pax you could go almost anywhere in BKK on the meter from airport. 3 backpackers could taxi to KSR and actually save both money and time.

The buses were old, hot, broken - good riddance!! If its not working for you - take a taxi. I LOVE PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

You seem to be forgetting that taxis now have converted to gas, so their boots (or trunks if you're of an American persuasion) are almost completely filled with gas tanks. There's nowhere for luggage except inside the cab. There's no way you could get three backpackers into a taxi these days. Two adults with a large suitcase each would be really pushing it.

<br />
The fools wait, pay more and take the express, the rest of us pay B15 and go local.
<br />How close to the airport do you live, that you only pay B15?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Similar to the BTS fare schedule, the ARL Cityline starts at 15 baht and increases by 5 baht for each station, ie. a maximum of 45 baht. Thus, anyone paying 15 baht is only travelling to the next station.

The only airport bus that you could rely on for a scheduled return to the airport was on KSR and that did not run in the wee hours anyway.

I'm rather happy with the airport link. The fools wait, pay more and take the express, the rest of us pay B15 and go local. Of course, local is overcrowded with similar fools overloaded with 2 30kg bags and a carry on. Not much sympathy there or anyone that has to roll a bag for that matter. Sorry Mario.

Yeah, there is a bit of a white elephant aspect to it - but does anyone remember the scorn heaped upon the BTS? We will come to love it like we do the MRT and BTS. Just the fact that I can be certain of getting to the airport and not stuck in traffic is a plus.

My hunch is the whingers that need to get to PhayaThai and trans to BTS and have loads of luggage and are impatient forgetting the same ride in "the real world" would be quite spendy.

But it has to be careful on costs. In a fleeing taxi with no traffic we can get to the airport from the flat for B105. Door to door! We take it to avoid traffic. Its also good for single trips if I send my gf back home and I still continue to wander. B15 better than B105!

I remember when blue a/c buses were a splurge for Bangkokians.

The buses were Old ,Broken Hot?Total rubbish, They were BRAND NEW, fully air -con.I agree B150 was ridiculous. But the buses were in excellent condition.I repeat ,they were BRAND NEW.And built for purpose ,Plenty of space to store you "excess" baggage ,at no extra cost. So ,please no more lies

re

The buses were crap. The drivers were jerks who would take to the streets to pocket the tolls or pick up friends. It was overpriced. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I know because I commuted through the airport twice weekly for two years.

The buses were crap. The drivers were jerks who would take to the streets to pocket the tolls or pick up friends. It was overpriced. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I know because I commuted through the airport twice weekly for two years.

What a rant!!! The coaches were brand new, The bodies were purpose built, so they had Masses of luggage space' For backpackers.

Fully air- conditioned ,with comfortable seating. Drivers were Jerks? Total arrant nonsense. Pocket the tolls? NEVER saw ANY evidence of this.Pick up friends ? they had to run a route ,according to a timetable,so could not, as that would have required a deviation from the set route.As I lived in Bkk, for many years ,travelled on said buses, I am well aware of the set routeOverpriced ? yes ,terribly so. But as someone else has already said Taxis don't work- No luggage space for backpackers. As a result of a gas bottle in the boot. You know? I suspect you know nothing ,making such absurd statements.That bear no reality to reality.

Edited by afarang

• 2 weeks later...

......passenger numbers are down to 700 per day. It cost over 30 billion Baht to build. For that amount of money you could pay the taxi fare of 700 passengers every day for the next 391 years. ......

Depends if the meter's rigged or not.