Do Thai's Read?

happydaze

There are many public libraries in Thailand. If you go there you can see many Thai people reading books or newspapers or studying. Most libraries have a small section of English language books and sometimes an English language newspaper. Also most libraries nowadays have a computer section where you can look at the internet.

It may be true that a greater percentage of Thai people compared to falang read strips with pictures. May be in the falangworld people are more trained in abstract, verbal exercises of the mind, while in Thailand the visual aspect is more appreciated.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't read books; I find it extremely boring.

I hate people who look down nose at those who choose not to read as a leisure activity.

There is a reason people look down on non-readers.

Reading is the modern way of story telling which was the first leisure activity(and almost the only) for a LOT of centuries. It's part of being human, enjoying stories. If you dont enjoy a good book(which is relative to each and everyone) you're clearly trying to be as dumb as you can. Everyone can find a book they fall in love with. Once you do you will see that you can get even more deep into the story than with a movie, with no effort. Usually people who hate book also have never went through beyond page 20-30 (which are usually the most boring) or they read books of no relevance to them. If i had only read french literature books where the story takes place in 1500 to 1800.. I would of never wanted to read an other book in my life..

It's your choice not to be part of humanity though, hating those who look down upon you for ignoring our history and culture have all their rights, just as you have your right to be in your outcast sanctuary.

If you dont enjoy a good book(which is relative to each and everyone) you're clearly trying to be as dumb as you can. Everyone can find a book they fall in love with. Once you do you will see that you can get even more deep into the story than with a movie, with no effort. Usually people who hate book also have never went through beyond page 20-30 (which are usually the most boring) or they read books of no relevance to them. If i had only read french literature books where the story takes place in 1500 to 1800.. I would of never wanted to read an other book in my life..<br /><br /><br />It's your choice not to be part of humanity though, hating those who look down upon you for ignoring our history and culture have all their rights, just as you have your right to be in your outcast sanctuary.<br />

Then i have a problem. I read Lord of the Rings in English once and i fell asleep after 10 pages. Hardly understand those words. Had to open a dictionary most of workds there. Soon i gave up.

Some Thai words do not translate into English, now that would be fun for a Falang/Farang to try and read aThai book..

About the life if Hiso's and rapiist of hiso's? About spirits who eat your food and open your broom closet at night?

are you serious? have you seen thai literature? My gf has a hundreds of book of all thai genre... its stories a 6year old would spit on in the west. Telletubies are Shakespeare compared to this.

I dont like to read but that didnt mean i dont care or know anything outside my own circle ,im a Thai anyway. I also have friends (Thais) that get very excited once there is a book fair and rush to the fiar like they giving books for free lol. they spend alot of money on books. But i do read alot on the internet news and some article im interested to.

I also dont watch any thai soap after the evening news since im 12 ,if u ask me for the name of TV star or i met them somewhere i couldnt tell who is who ,they r just looks the same.

Most of the time if i watch TV , im watching news, documentary channels, and often i end up watching animal planets or discovery channel when there is nothing else to watch.

I believe that if i like to read more i could be smarter than this lol :lol:

I've seen Thai people read on the trains in Bangkok every time I am in Bangkok, and I don't even live there.

I know Thai people who read, but out in the country at least, books are very hard to find and quite expensive. Every trip to Bangkok I buy a pile of books for DH to take back.

Yes you see them reading comics, womens mags, school text, newspapers etc but very very rarely do you see them reading a novel.

The owner of one of our major sub contractors invited me to his house in Bangkok about a year ago. He has got a very impressive library with many of the old clasics. I love books and started talking about this and that and realised (through his embarisment and nervous giggles from his wife) that he hadn't read any of them, they were all there just for show!

No...very rarely do Thai's read novels. Only wife's of TV members who regulaly read all the classics are avid book readers. :whistling:

Edited by Livinginexile

ohh i just come up with a theory, why the percentage of western read more than Thais.

My theory says it is about the climate that lead to the reading culture, Thais read less coz they prefer to go out and have alot of things to do outside the house so they dont put "reading" as the first thing to do. while Western countries are usually pretty cold. so ppl stuck in the house got nothing to do than to "read" because it is too cold to go out not much activities to do outside the house so reading is the best choice to take their mind away outside the house...

what do you think? this is just my opinion anyway. :jap:

ohh i just come up with a theory, why the percentage of western read more than Thais.

My theory says it is about the climate that lead to the reading culture, Thais read less coz they prefer to go out and have alot of things to do outside the house so they dont put "reading" as the first thing to do. while Western countries are usually pretty cold. so ppl stuck in the house got nothing to do than to "read" because it is too cold to go out not much activities to do outside the house so reading is the best choice to take their mind away outside the house...

what do you think? this is just my opinion anyway. :jap:

Go to the beach and look at who's reading and who isn't.

I also think you are overestimating how much spare time we get in the West.

wat i was saying ,i didnt mean nowaday, i mean in the past like 100 or watever years ago where alot of activities r not been discovered yet no traveling abroad etc.. these can be the cause that make reading become a part in the culture.

Its hard to know. Most Thais are un-educated (compared to the West) so its hardly suprising that they only read comics and magazines.

It would be interesting to hear though whether educated Thais are 'bookworms'.

Personally, I learned to read early (thanks dad!) and was laughed at for being a bookworm when I was v young. Its a joy that has never gone away. Everybody to their own.

I hate people who look down nose at those who choose not to read as a leisure activity.

Reading is the modern way of story telling which was the first leisure activity(and almost the only) for a LOT of centuries. It's part of being human, enjoying stories. If you dont enjoy a good book(which is relative to each and everyone) you're clearly trying to be as dumb as you can. Everyone can find a book they fall in love with. Once you do you will see that you can get even more deep into the story than with a movie, with no effort. Usually people who hate book also have never went through beyond page 20-30 (which are usually the most boring) or they read books of no relevance to them. If i had only read french literature books where the story takes place in 1500 to 1800.. I would of never wanted to read an other book in my life..

It's your choice not to be part of humanity though, hating those who look down upon you for ignoring our history and culture have all their rights, just as you have your right to be in your outcast sanctuary.

Boy, what an incredibly judgmental *flame removed* you are. Just because you like to read books doesn't mean that those who don't are somehow "less human." Do I read? Hell yea. I read research papers, quarterly stock reports, news magazines, the sports page, Stickman, news about politics, entertainment, medical updates, world affairs...the list is endless.

Do I read books? NO. Not in about 10+ years. And any time you want to have a debate about something that matters, let me know, and I'll chew you up and spit you out like yesterday's Skoal. The point is reading books is a personal choice and being a reader makes you no better or worse than the next guy.

Edited by sbk
lets keep it civil

Boy, what an incredibly judgmental *** you are. Just because you like to read books doesn't mean that those who don't are somehow "less human." Do I read? Hell yea. I read research papers, quarterly stock reports, news magazines, the sports page, Stickman, news about politics, entertainment, medical updates, world affairs...the list is endless.

Do I read books? NO. Not in about 10+ years. And any time you want to have a debate about something that matters, let me know, and I'll chew you up and spit you out like yesterday's Skoal. The point is reading books is a personal choice and being a reader makes you no better or worse than the next guy.

Did somebody touch a nerve?

Thanks for giving us a perfect example of the kind of people i was referring to.

Boy, what an incredibly judgmental *** you are. Just because you like to read books doesn't mean that those who don't are somehow "less human." Do I read? Hell yea. I read research papers, quarterly stock reports, news magazines, the sports page, Stickman, news about politics, entertainment, medical updates, world affairs...the list is endless.

Did somebody touch a nerve?

Very reactive, I know. Couldn't help myself.

Thanks for giving us a perfect example of the kind of people i was referring to.

Why get upset about it? There are people that enjoy reading and others that enjoy playing or watching sport. As I said before, everybody to their own.

Why get upset about it? There are people that enjoy reading and others that enjoy playing or watching sport. As I said before, everybody to their own.

That's the whole point, isn't it? Just because one's choice for entertainment is different than another doesn't mean that he/she is "trying to be as dumb as (he/she) can" or "not (wanting) to be part of humanity." I'm still a little astonished that this guy could make such asinine statements. Is he for real?

It was a tad strong and preachy. The guy was clearly trying to be intellectually superior and just made himself to look a bit of a tool instead.

I still think though that those who say they don't enjoy reading should maybe try persevering. If they are finding it boring then maybe they are not reading the right books (for them). I'm a copywriter by trade which means that reading for me is an occupational hazard. I get to read and write on everything under sun and sometimes I'd rather watch paint dry than read on certain topics, whereas other contracts are very interesting and an absolute pleasure to read on.

What's more is that some books are just a bit crap, as with movies. But it wouldn't stop you from watching movies just because you watched a crap one once.

A friend in Chiang mai is reading something all of the time. Another one of thoses farange misconceptions about Thais shot down.

Not quite. At least that contradicts what I've read, seen and heard.

BE ADVISED: The following is not a value judgment nor does it discount that there are or may be perfectly logical reasons for the differences suggested herein. Thank you.

Studies I have seen -- I won't vouch for their accuracy or statistical merit as I'm not qulified to -- have shown that Thais read much less than that of neighboring countries and many countries around the world;some reports say as little as an average of 2 books a year (Vietnam, for example, is well over 50 I believe).

It's far more common than it used to be but there's no doubt in my mind that the number of Thais I see reading on trains or buses if significantly less than you will see locals reading on trains or buses in NYC or London etc.

25 years ago, when I taught English in Thailand, I discovered that I could incidentally learn a lot about Thais from the fact that I always asked similar questions or raised the same topics with various classes. Since then I still have an opportunity in both my work and otherwise to ask a question or two from Thais, and as many as a couple times a month I continue to get some anecdotal data that way. Moreover I have a 2 friends who are university teachers and have taught conversation classes here for a very long time (one, for 18 years) and they too gather information the way I used to, in class. We share our information on a regular basis and one of the things we agree on is that it's a rare Thai who says they like to read and of those who do, the majority read comic books, and of the rest most read magazine (TV, gossip, or sports).

If all this is true, I don't think it's poverty, given the numbers compared to the percentage of middle class and wealthy, and comparing it to their neighbors. I also think that the fact that Thailand reportedly has a high literacy rate perhaps tells us something too -- they can read but they don't: I have generally high regard for Thais and I don't think they are stupid in general (obviously, just as anywhere including my native land, there are plenty of stupid people) but while I've known many exceptions, I do think that as a general rule, they are not especially intellectually curious.

(Of course, Moe, if a Thai friend of yours reads a lot, I guess that's all we need to know about 65 million Thais, eh? wink.gif)

EDIT for attempt to sort out syntax and clarity

Edited by SteeleJoe

Yes you see them reading comics, womens mags, school text, newspapers etc but very very rarely do you see them reading a novel.

The owner of one of our major sub contractors invited me to his house in Bangkok about a year ago. He has got a very impressive library with many of the old clasics. I love books and started talking about this and that and realised (through his embarisment and nervous giggles from his wife) that he hadn't read any of them, they were all there just for show!

No...very rarely do Thai's read novels. Only wife's of TV members who regulaly read all the classics are avid book readers. :whistling:

If you are going to have a go at my post mate-make it a real one. Replying to this is barely worth my time ;)

I dont like to read but that didnt mean i dont care or know anything outside my own circle ,im a Thai anyway. I also have friends (Thais) that get very excited once there is a book fair and rush to the fiar like they giving books for free lol. they spend alot of money on books. But i do read alot on the internet news and some article im interested to.

I also dont watch any thai soap after the evening news since im 12 ,if u ask me for the name of TV star or i met them somewhere i couldnt tell who is who ,they r just looks the same.

Most of the time if i watch TV , im watching news, documentary channels, and often i end up watching animal planets or discovery channel when there is nothing else to watch.

I believe that if i like to read more i could be smarter than this lol :lol:

Well you are 12, dont feel bad about sticking to animal planet and discovery.. just keeping those stimulus in your life will make sure that one day you'll get into book, its natural. And even if you don't, as long as you're interested in the beautiful world you will keep learning. You can learn a lot on the internet and youtube.

It was a tad strong and preachy. The guy was clearly trying to be intellectually superior and just made himself to look a bit of a tool instead.

I still think though that those who say they don't enjoy reading should maybe try persevering. If they are finding it boring then maybe they are not reading the right books (for them). I'm a copywriter by trade which means that reading for me is an occupational hazard. I get to read and write on everything under sun and sometimes I'd rather watch paint dry than read on certain topics, whereas other contracts are very interesting and an absolute pleasure to read on.

What's more is that some books are just a bit crap, as with movies. But it wouldn't stop you from watching movies just because you watched a crap one once.

So you think people who don't read are flawed and should keep trying to better themselves.. how is this any different to what i said? ( you wouldnt say they should keep persevering if it wasn't a flaw in them)

i dont have a problem with non-reader, just those who hate reading. You can love reading a good book yet still only feel like reading 1-2 a year

Edited by seriouseats