Thai Election Commission Endorses Abhisit, Yingluck

webfact

EC Endorses Additional 12, Including Abhisit, Yingluck

The Election Commission has endorsed an additional 12 MP's, including Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, Democrat Secretary General Suthep Thaugsuban, and prime minister elect Yingluck Shinawatra.

The red shirt leaders, however, remain under investigation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-07-19

footer_n.gif

Balloting outcome for Abhisit and Yingluck endorsed

By The Nation

The Election Commission has endorsed the balloting outcome of Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva and Pheu Thai's Yingluck Shinawatra following the last week's delay due to complaints about alleged campaign violations.

The EC deliberation is still in progress and will conclude on how many MPs-elect to be endorsed besides the two later Tuesday's afternoon.

Of 500 MPs-elect, some 139 have their endorsement delayed due to campaign-related complaints.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-19

Always interesting how media stories are reported or memes created. The linking of Abhisit and Yingluck here is interesting as one is virtually a PM elect on the second biggest electoral win in Thai history while the other is the leader of a badly beaten party. Sure the red carding of either would be a big story, and the holding up recognizing them is a story too but the story about Yingluck is monumentally bigger and yet the press report them as though they equate.

Always interesting how media stories are reported or memes created. The linking of Abhisit and Yingluck here is interesting as one is virtually a PM elect on the second biggest electoral win in Thai history while the other is the leader of a badly beaten party. Sure the red carding of either would be a big story, and the holding up recognizing them is a story too but the story about Yingluck is monumentally bigger and yet the press report them as though they equate.

Two possible reasons

1. (nominal) leaders of the two biggest parties

2. one care-taker PM, the other (most likely) PM-in-waiting

Edited by rubl

Two possible reasons

1. (nominal) leaders of the two biggest parties

2. one care-taker PM, the other (most likely) PM-in-waiting

Again, this is a joke....

The EC itself should be under investigation. We all know from the past that they are corrupted to the bone. You cannot approve a candidate and endorse him or her as electable and than when they are elected tell the people that although people voted on a party list for the party certain people cannot become a parliamentarian. The first task for the new government is to investigate the EC, Suthep and Prayuth.

BALLOTING OUTCOME

Abhisit, Suthep and Yingluck endorsed as MPs

By The Nation

The Election Commission has endorsed the balloting outcome of Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva, his fellow Democrat Suthep Thaugsuban and Pheu Thai's Yingluck Shinawatra following the last week's delay due to complaints about alleged campaign violations.

Tuesday saw the balloting endorsement for 12 MPs-elect, including the three, EC member Sodsri Satayathum said.

The other MPs endorsed is Democrat Suthep Thaugsuban.

Sodsri said campaign-related complaints involving Abhisit, Suthep and Yingluck were dropped due to the lack of cause to suspect wrongdoing.

In the Abhisit case, the EC ruled that the sale of consumer goods at discounted prices were carried out by the Commerce Minister under successive governments. The event had no linkage to Abhisit. Based on the complaint, Abhisit was alleged to have abused of power to sway votes.

For the Suthep case, the probe uncovered no cause to suspect Suthep for smearing or raising false charges against his rival.

In the Yingluck case, the elections law did not prohibit the involvement of barred party executives in political activities. The ban was limited to holding office. The EC decided not to launch an inquiry into the campaign appearance involing Yingluck and her sister Yaowapha and brother-in-law Somchai, who are barred party executives.

The EC will hold its next deliberation on Thursday. It is expected to decide the balloting outcome for red shirts who run under the Pheu Thai's banner.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-19

So I understand this and please correct me if I am wrong.... As long as Thaksin does not hold an official position he can ask his sister to do whatever he likes...

Just as long as she is the person that announces it...

All she has to say is that they discussed and she thought it was a good idea...

Well, personally I assume that the endorsment of both old and new PM together is more an approach to prevent massiv uproad in either party... I would not want to imagine what would have happened if one of the two would have been endorsed and the other one not...

But what tragickingdom wrote is true: How can politicians be allowed to be elected by the voters and afterwards, dozends of them get under investigation to find out whether they should not have been on the poll list of their party...

Current EC needs to be be fired and a new one with new rules needs to be put in charge.

EC certifies MP status for Abhisit and Yingluck

BANGKOK, 19 July 2011 (NNT) - The Election Commission (EC) has granted MP status for outgoing Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and incoming Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

After pondering all complaints against several candidates, the EC decided to grant the status to 12 people, including Mr Abhisit, Ms Yingluck, and Suthep Thuagsuban.

The decisions on status of the elected core figures of the United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) are still pending.

Election Commissioner Sodsri Sattayatham revealed that the EC voted 5-0 granting both Mr Abhisit and Ms Yingluck the status.

The EC has not finished the consideration for 130 other elected candidates, saying it will announce the result again on 21 July.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-07-20 footer_n.gif

So I understand this and please correct me if I am wrong.... As long as Thaksin does not hold an official position he can ask his sister to do whatever he likes...

How do you want to prevent such "consultation" anyway, whether she is in office or not? How do you prevent ANY politician to talk with ANY consultant about what couls / should be done next? And even more... how do you prevent such discussions taking part within the immediate family?

Whether or not Thaksin might return to Thailand or stays in Dubai, no law can ever stop him from talking with his sister. Would you want to hack into the phones of every politician in order to find out whether they discuss politics? We have seen the results of such actions in England...

How do you want to prevent such "consultation" anyway, whether she is in office or not? How do you prevent ANY politician to talk with ANY consultant about what couls / should be done next? And even more... how do you prevent such discussions taking part within the immediate family?

Whether or not Thaksin might return to Thailand or stays in Dubai, no law can ever stop him from talking with his sister. Would you want to hack into the phones of every politician in order to find out whether they discuss politics? We have seen the results of such actions in England...

Exactly, why do you think Taskin called her his clone? Cause she can't be stopped from talking to him and relaying his policy on to PTP MPs and parliament. Ultimately he will govern by proxy

Exactly, why do you think Taskin called her his clone? Cause she can't be stopped from talking to him and relaying his policy on to PTP MPs and parliament. Ultimately he will govern by proxy

Never said it was right or wrong, just wanted an understanding on what the EC had decided.

My views I`ll keep to myself. It`s not like my views would change anything, however it does seem to be wrong that for example if he was to sit in the same room as the cabinet members, give his ideas that as long as he is not the one to announce whatever they decide then that`s ok and legal.

Don't worry, the Thai Election Commission will figure out some way to disenfranchise the Thai voters. How dare they have the temerity to vote against the elites!

Don't worry, the Thai Election Commission will figure out some way to disenfranchise the Thai voters. How dare they have the temerity to vote against the elites!

They *did* vote for the elites. Wake up.

Thai PM-elect approved by vote body

BANGKOK, July 19, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand's prime minister-in-waiting Yingluck Shinawatra was on Tuesday approved to enter parliament, election officials said, clearing one of the final obstacles to her appointment.

Yingluck, the sister of ousted former leader Thaksin Shinawatra, was given the go-ahead by Thailand's Election Commission (EC), after it delayed ratifying her over campaign irregularity claims last week.

The vote body dismissed the allegations against Yingluck -- whose Puea Thai Party won a landslide at the July 3 election -- which means she can now take her seat as the country's first female premier.

"The committee has investigated the facts and cannot find any violations of electoral law," said EC secretary general Suthipon Thaveechaiyagarn.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-19

I am 100% sure Khun T. is running the show from Dubai. Welcome to Thaksinland.

The elections law did not prohibit the involvement of barred party executives in political activities. The ban was limited to holding office.

In big bold letters, a statement of what the law is. Now, will any of the people screaming in the forums cease and desist from making claims that there was an illegal act?

I think there is a dead crow on the road near the Phuket aerodrome. Perhaps it can be cooked up,. some balloons hung near one of the Patong beer bars and the TVF "legal experts" can come by and feast on some delicious crow.

laugh.gif

Edited by geriatrickid

Your post doesn't make sense because (I believe) you do not understand the meaning of barred/banned politicians. In the 2007 vote, Yongyuth Tiyapairaiwas was accused of election fraud. He had been elected as a People Power Party representative and subsequently became the House Speaker. He was later indicted and and barred from taking public office and as he was on the executive board of PPP the party was dissolved which led to the Democrats coming to power and the installation of Abhisit Vejajjiva as PM.

Now, exactly as had happened with executives of Thai Rak Thai Party previously, the executives of Peoples Power Party became banned/barred politicians - using your word - but all that meant was that they had had their voting rights revoked and so could not vote in local or national elections. A person who does not have the right to vote in Thailand cannot hold a public office or set up a political party and is therefore what you are calling a banned politician. However, apart from not being allowed to vote,he does not lose his democratic rights under the law and can make any legal statement that he likes or take any legal action that he likes the same as any other Thai citizen can.

The elections law did not prohibit the involvement of barred party executives in political activities. The ban was limited to holding office.

In big bold letters, a statement of what the law is. Now, will any of the people screaming in the forums cease and desist from making claims that there was an illegal act?

I think there is a dead crow on the road near the Phuket aerodrome. Perhaps it can be cooked up,. some balloons hung near one of the Patong beer bars and the TVF "legal experts" can come by and feast on some delicious crow.

laugh.gif

Maybe you'll be eating crow when your beloved hero has turned Thailand into the next Burma. Or maybe not. Would that make you happy?

Yeah reading your thoughts Billy you ain't that silly!.

Well, personally I assume that the endorsment of both old and new PM together is more an approach to prevent massiv uproad in either party... I would not want to imagine what would have happened if one of the two would have been endorsed and the other one not...

But what tragickingdom wrote is true: How can politicians be allowed to be elected by the voters and afterwards, dozends of them get under investigation to find out whether they should not have been on the poll list of their party...

Current EC needs to be be fired and a new one with new rules needs to be put in charge.

Well I could be wrong but it was my understanding that the EC was set up to investigate irregularities in the candidates campaign.

How do we know from previous times that they are corrupt. I understand how we know from previous times that some of the TV poster's disagreed with them.

I was a little bit more concerned about the Yingluck and Abhist getting disqualified over non sense reasons. I can't speak for the commission but I personally would have looked the other way over those nonsense last straw attempts to disqualify the people .involved.

Did you mean vote for a different set of elites. :whistling:

Your post doesn't make sense because (I believe) you do not understand the meaning of barred/banned politicians. In the 2007 vote, Yongyuth Tiyapairaiwas was accused of election fraud. He had been elected as a People Power Party representative and subsequently became the House Speaker. He was later indicted and and barred from taking public office and as he was on the executive board of PPP the party was dissolved which led to the Democrats coming to power and the installation of Abhisit Vejajjiva as PM.

Now, exactly as had happened with executives of Thai Rak Thai Party previously, the executives of Peoples Power Party became banned/barred politicians - using your word - but all that meant was that they had had their voting rights revoked and so could not vote in local or national elections. A person who does not have the right to vote in Thailand cannot hold a public office or set up a political party and is therefore what you are calling a banned politician. However, apart from not being allowed to vote,he does not lose his democratic rights under the law and can make any legal statement that he likes or take any legal action that he likes the same as any other Thai citizen can.

Thank you for your description of banned politician. I could not make sense out of the importance of a politician voting.

The one question I had was about the jailed J (some thing) I was to the understanding that he did not vote but still got elected.

laugh.gif

Maybe you'll be eating crow when your beloved hero has turned Thailand into the next Burma. Or maybe not. Would that make you happy?

There there, never mind Mark will be OK and Toy Story is on tonight!

Thank you for your description of banned politician. I could not make sense out of the importance of a politician voting.

The one question I had was about the jailed J (some thing) I was to the understanding that he did not vote but still got elected.

The EC's main purpose is to ensure that an election is fair, honest and democratic and that is all. If there are allegations of wrongdoings, that are in any case outside the remit of the EC, the EC should approve the selection of the MP(s) in question as the allegations can be settled after the election process by the courts. In the case of the Red Shirt leaders none of the charges against them can be heard by the EC and they will have to be settled by the courts. All of the Red Shirt leaders had their qualifications approved by the EC before they were allowed to stand for election and as none of them have been tried and found guilty by the courts I don't understand the delay in the approval of their MP status.

In the case of Jatuporn his bail was revoked and although pleas were made to the court that he be taken under escort to vote they were refused so yes he didn't vote but there is something of catch 22 involved here. Certainly it is an unusual case and will have to be argued in Court.

laugh.gif

I love it!!!! I pointed out in a previous thread that the Act specified only that banned politicians could not be office holders and was given the usual browbeating from the usual suspects; my error on that occasion was to believe that the Democrats were not so stupid that they would not consult the EC to ensure that their complaint was prima facie able to be substantiated as an infringement. That resulted in the accusation that I was implying collusion between the Democrats and the EC, which I was most certainly not doing.

It seems a good thing to me that the "Rule of Law" so beloved by the anti-Thaksin faction has been properly applied in this case.

Oh! and I am still not a supporter of any Thai political party - merely someone who likes to question...........

it has been reported that 12 more MP's have been endorsed including Yingluck, Abhisit and Suthep so what is wrong about that???

Also - one is an ex-prime minister that has left behind a stable and prospering economy and the other is a dishonest, inexperienced untried so-called politician that hoodwinked tens of millions of people into voting for a bunch of rabble (including several suspected terrorists) by promising them the earth without having the money to pay for it and who it appears will take Thailand back to the middle ages so yes I agree, why include Yingluck in the same sentence as Abhisit as she is not worthy of cleaning his shoes, let alone attempting to run a country when she hasn't got a clue as to what she is doing!!!!:blink:

begin removed ...

It seems a good thing to me that the "Rule of Law" so beloved by the anti-Thaksin faction has been properly applied in this case.

Oh! and I am still not a supporter of any Thai political party - merely someone who likes to question...........

Well, now we know. On with whatever other cases remain, we still need a few more MPs endorsed before the new parliament can convene.

PS how the EC ruled on the legality of the involvement of k. Thaksin doesn't seem to be so different from the case filed by Pheu Thai when the Abhisit government was formed ;)