Cancelling A Work Permit

I have heard that once a work permit has been cancelled the person must leave the country within a certain time frame, does anyone know what the time frame is ?

What happens if the person does not leave the country ? Would he effectively be on overstay should he not leave within the timeframe ?

Im led to believe that the visa used to obtain the work permit expires along with the WP, the visa was a single entry 90 day B visa.

Is there anyone who could clarify this ?

Thanks

If you are not on an extension of that visa (currently on the original 90 day entry) there is no effect and you can stay until it ends.

If you are on an extension of stay then after you cancel work permit believe you must also advise immigration within 7 days and will then be given a week to leave. Not sure if that 7+7 is exact so you may want to check previous posts on subject - but if you are not on an extension of stay you can stay until the 90 days are up.

If you are not on an extension of that visa (currently on the original 90 day entry) there is no effect and you can stay until it ends.

If you are on an extension of stay then after you cancel work permit believe you must also advise immigration within 7 days and will then be given a week to leave.  Not sure if that 7+7 is exact so you may want to check previous posts on subject - but if you are not on an extension of stay you can stay until the 90 days are up.

Thanks Lopburi. Im not on an extension of stay so looks like im good for the remainder.

So what does the company do who im employed with ? Is it there responsibility to cancel the work permit ? Is there anything I need to do ?

Cheers.

In this case I am not sure Lopburi is right.

In my case when my work permit was cancelled, I had quit my job,

my visa was also amended. I was left with one month to pack up and go!!

The one year work visa, Non Imm B, is dependant on the work permit!!

If you do not leave you will be on overstay, just like anyone else.

Edited by astral

In this case I am not sure Lopburi is right.

In my case when my work permit was cancelled, I had quit my job,

my visa was also amended.  I was left with one month to pack up and go!!

The one year work visa is dependant on the work permit!!

If you do not leave you will be on overstay, just like anyone else.

He is not on a one year extension of stay per his post so he will not be on overstay. He only on a 90 day entry of a single entry B visa and that is not tied to a work permit.

Be sure to bring the blue book to the Labour Department, and be sure to get a cancellation receipt from them. Otherwise you are liable for a fine of 1,500 - 2,000 Baht next time you apply for a WP.

If you are on a multiple, just stay on until your entry stamp expires. If you are on an extension you have to leave within 7 days and re-enter the kingdom. Lopburi3 is right, as usual.

Cheers

If you are on an extension of stay then after you cancel work permit believe you must also advise immigration within 7 days and will then be given a week to leave. Not sure if that 7+7 is exact so you may want to check previous posts on subject - but if you are not on an extension of stay you can stay until the 90 days are up.

I extended my WP and visa ( for a year)and then left my job the next week. I was told by many, including my work that I had 7 days to leave the country. Someone told me that I could get 1 month if I went to the UK embassy and got a letter.

I think it is a scare tactic from many workplaces to get you to stay.

Anyway, I did nothing for a year. When I got a new visa there was no problem. When I got a new WP there was a slight problem. I had to go round the corner to the Din Daeng police station and pay 1500 baht, cheaper than getting a new visa.

This was a couple of years ago, maybe 3, it may have changed.