250Cc Class Too Slow Ya Feel?

gravion

hiya fellow bikers...

is it just me? i feel 250cc ninja, cbr has slow acceleration. not that i go over 90KM on the road and passing heaps etc...

sometimes i feel i require more power to escape from those crazy rear ending drivers. avoiding is my first option though.

im still a newbie at bikes, still around 1 month exp with 250cc classes, which i rent from pattaya bike rentals. (400baht a day)

around 1 year exp with 125cc wave...

when i first rented old cbr150 i already felt it lacks power. (interms of acceleration)

to be honest, those crazy thai rocketing with their fino is way faster than me riding ninja 250...

now im looking into ninja 650 class... but i would most likely will never go over 90km... heee heee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .....

Yes, both 250's are pretty slow. The Ninja is the faster of the two once you get out of first gear but in reality neither bike will set the world alight.

I love riding the ninjette but compared to my GSXR 600 it feels like a toy. If you're buying now I'd recommend a er6n/f over either 250. The second hand 2009 models are fantastic value for money.

Gravion... The thing on the right hand bar is the throttle you need to give it more of a tug.. 250's ain't the fastest but they should beat everything off the lights up to 90km'h.

Especially the Cbr with it's lower grunt. Put a pipe and a power commander on it at it will give you about 25-26ps and 23nm.

It ain't no 650 for sure.. but i really can't see many problems at the traffic lights....My GF's wave 110i is adequate from the lights, just gotta rev the arse off it B):D

Edited by thaicbr

Unless you're next to a Lamborghini or similar at a stop light, I would think a 250cc should get ahead of most cars easily in Thailand.

Here in Bangkok, I find my 135cc scooter gets ahead of all the traffic easily but I guess Pattaya drivers are faster.

Go rent a 650cc but beware, it has real power and if you aren't paying attention it might kill you.

Then again, so will a horse.

I believe if ya change the sprockets,make the front one bigger ,the rear one smaller,you'll be able to wind out the lower gears more,you'll have A faster top end.Plus ya can bore it,do the cam bigger carb etc.

even a stock ninja will hit 90 faster than most things off the lights (except bigger bikes). I think it's probably down to your riding style to be honest. I'm just about to get rid of my ninja today and move up to a versys, more for a comfort over distance than speed thing. I will miss the little ninja, it's a very good little bike for zipping around on and you can really rev it if you need to.

Try taking it up to higher revs before changing gear each time, I think you may change your opinion. It's a much better bike than the CBR in every way in my opinion.

Edited by mrclough

even a stock ninja will hit 90 faster than most things off the lights (except bigger bikes). I think it's probably down to your riding style to be honest. I'm just about to get rid of my ninja today and move up to a versys, more for a comfort over distance than speed thing. I will miss the little ninja, it's a very good little bike for zipping around on and you can really rev it if you need to.

Try taking it up to higher revs before changing gear each time, I think you may change your opinion. It's a much better bike than the CBR in every way in my opinion.

Have you ridden the CBr250r ?????

I was just wondering if you were on wacky weed when you started the thread?

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

A Fino faster than you off the lights? Your supposed to down shift to first gear while waiting for the lights to turn green. The CBR's shifting is really so forgiving, you could actually just release the clutch while twisting the throttle without worrying about stalling the engine or worse. Before the tach's (that's the big clock like thing in the middle of your handlebars) pointer hits the red zone, shift up to second.

Try to learn ride in the proper gear, riding a 650cc sport bike without knowing how to will have painful consequences...

Yes, don't like it at all and in my opinion it's very poor quality fairings really let it down. The older CBR 150's feel much more solid and better built.

Just my opinion though!

Yes, don't like it at all and in my opinion it's very poor quality fairings really let it down. The older CBR 150's feel much more solid and better built.

Just my opinion though!

I kinda of agree about the fairing especially the screen area. I suppose that's what happens when they try and mimic a bigger more expensive bike.

Just my opinion though!

I kinda of agree about the fairing especially the screen area. I suppose that's what happens when they try and mimic a bigger more expensive bike.

Those ugly fairings serve no purpose and just add to the cost of the bike. They should have skipped them and called the bike a CB250.

whateva mate... im gonna be tailgating yo ghey azzes cbrs (and wave) and ninja with me coyote music pounding bus and honkin. ya dig?

whatz up homie with da name CBR and NINJA??? lol betta check ya self... sounz like a kindergarten choice of wordz

and i aint on weed bruh...

anyway im plannin to cuzzin to bkk with me ninja. some fuc_ka thai guard iz like leaning on iz... fuc_ka... im hopin they aint cummin on it...

If the bike was called a CB250 and not a CBR250, would it then suddenly become slower around the Thailand circuit then the mighty ER6'S? If yes, then all the ER6 guys need to do is cover up the 'R" on the Hondas when no one is looking and then they can win.

Even when I was driving the 250 CBR back to my condo from the rental shop I noticed that It had so much power that i could run away from all the traffic on 2nd road. Although the 250 CBR won't do zero to sixty miles per hour in three seconds the way larger bikes can the bike can do it in 6.5 seconds and I'd think the little Ninja will do roughly the same. To put this in perspective during the 1960's the Pontiac GTO that was then considered a must have muscle car would turn in about the same zero to sixty performance Now put yourself in this situation. Imagine yourself driving in traffic down Pattaya's 2nd or Beach Road behind the wheel of a GTO. You tromp the accelerator clear into the floor and let her rip until you hit 60 miles an hour. Hell...make that 70. You can do the same thing with the 250 Ninja or 250 CBR but do you have the guts to do it or the complete lack of common sense? Even if you ignored all common sense and lived to tell the tale, as someone else put it here, nothing would have stayed with you except for a bigger bike.

whateva mate... im gonna be tailgating yo ghey azzes cbrs (and wave) and ninja with me coyote music pounding bus and honkin. ya dig?

whatz up homie with da name CBR and NINJA??? lol betta check ya self... sounz like a kindergarten choice of wordz

anyway im plannin to cuzzin to bkk with me ninja. some fuc_ka thai guard iz like leaning on iz... fuc_ka... im hopin they aint cummin on it...

This an English speaking forum, you don't appear to have the necessary qualifications.

This an English speaking forum, you don't appear to have the necessary qualifications.

:lol: At least you have the ability to translate what ever language it is....I am still working on it! :blink:

iz it cuz im black? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Are you a prathom student by any chance?

Unless you're next to a Lamborghini or similar at a stop light, I would think a 250cc should get ahead of most cars easily in Thailand.

I certainly don't go revving off the lights at every opportunity on the CBR, but on the odd occasion I have I can only recall two cars shooting off ahead, a Porsche and a Jag. The Civics, Vios' and Jazzes of this World usually need to try for some reason. Failing pretty badly.

Of course not forgetting the CBR also shoots off from the ninja250 due its superior torque and lack of 'porkiness'.

OP

If you're only interested in acceleration and don't go faster than 90 in your needs, you might be classified as an atypical rider - except for the very young newbies. Many of us have preferences, but taking off from a stop better than anyone else (particularly for someone new to bikes) might just be a passing stage; most of us eventually hit the road outside towns.

What I mean to suggest is that you probably won't catch up to your ultimate wishes for a while. Just learning the habits of Thai drivers and their customs will take perhaps a year. Meanwhile, either of the 250's in question should serve you well; my 125 Fi Hayate whips virtually all cars in town traffic and the Honda is quicker by far.

You might not know that bikes bigger than 250 cc's are not part of Asean treaties, so anything built outside of Thailand is charged heavy import taxes. We've got to jump up to 650's to find bikes that go quicker in lower ranges that are built here, so we get upper speeds as well, though, which presently will do you no good but costs anyway. And you pay at least 100,000 baht to go faster in low ranges. That's why so many of us lust for a locally built 350-400 twin.

One of the hardest things in the world is to wait when I've got my mind set to get a machine, if the money's sitting around. If I had a brain in my head, I'd wait in such cases.

But speaking of new bikes, check out the Kawasaki 650 series - made here and therefore price-beaters in the range. Meanwhile, see if you cannot squeeze more out of your lower gears.

Problem seems to be that you're attempting to ride your ninja the same as you do your skateboard, assuming that "ninja" isn't your nickname for your skateboard. The real Ninja has an engine that you have to start, etc.

The point about "pulling away from the pack" is often heard around here an excuse for buying much more bike than one can probably handle. It's a fantasy of escaping a pileup of bikes crashing against each other at the light--which never happens. A year or so ago, upcountry, a farang "pulled away from the pack" at high speed only to die immediately thereafter when a truck pulled out in front of him. If he hadn't been trying beat everyone, he'd still be alive, I assume.

As other posters have pointed out, your problem seems to be lack of driving skill. If a car pulls up too close behind you, and they often do even if you are doing the speed limit, you just move over and let it pass. When you stop at a light, you stop well over to the left anyway, not in the center of the lane--so you aren't going to be rear-ended there. After the cars have stopped, I might then pull out into the center to have more room when pulling off. But even if I don't, I never seem to have any problem. :)

Defensive driving is what best ensures your survival on a motorbike. It's worked well for me in my 14 years of driving a bike in Pattaya.

I'm just totally amazed at how much attention a small 250cc motorbike gets on this Thaivisa forum, it's hardly a huge step up from a 125cc and is very clearly a small bike and racing off from the lights is hardly a measure of anything since the winner for a few secs will always be the idiot that wants to jump the green light and get run over by a bus .