Foreigners That Just 'Exist' In Thailand

hotandhumid

Thoughts?

Just one thought. Whats your reality / Real World might be reality to you. The type you describe in your post has his reality, and who knows, one might be REAL.huh.gif

Naaah in this forum, there is only THEIR reality. The rest of us can just die on their front door, they would not bat an eyelid

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a lot of talented and experienced ex pats floating around aimlessly in Thailand. I think some, ( obviously not all ), have been caught in an ever downward spiral of inactivity. It's not deliberate, it kind of sneaks up on you and takes you unawares.

It's not exclusive to Thailand, inactivity is a problem for people everywhere. Boredom takes over, and getting the motivation to break the cycle becomes harder. I think for many this forum is a god-send, as you can easily while away hours on here reading through topics. In some cases I reckon the flaming comes from boredom too, people just want to draw attention to themselves and cause an argument / fight.

Many retirees find it difficult to adjust from working life to retirement in every Western country, for various reasons. Some retire into Thailand and after the first rush of excitement and activity they have the same difficulties into adjusting from a work free life as they would in their home country.

There is a large pool of talented people here, it's a pity that there aren't more volunteering opportunities without falling foul of Thai legislation. Mixing with other people is a basic building block of life, as well as feeling you have a purpose to your life irrespective of your age.

Even a simple thing like joining your local Camera club, tennis club, Thai Language classes, fishing club, anything!! anything that gives you a reason to get out of your bed and go mix with like minded people will stop that decay of inactivity.

I see a lot of talented and experienced ex pats floating around aimlessly in Thailand. I think some, ( obviously not all ), have been caught in an ever downward spiral of inactivity. It's not deliberate, it kind of sneaks up on you and takes you unawares.

It's not exclusive to Thailand, inactivity is a problem for people everywhere. Boredom takes over, and getting the motivation to break the cycle becomes harder. I think for many this forum is a god-send, as you can easily while away hours on here reading through topics. In some cases I reckon the flaming comes from boredom too, people just want to draw attention to themselves and cause an argument / fight.

Many retirees find it difficult to adjust from working life to retirement in every Western country, for various reasons. Some retire into Thailand and after the first rush of excitement and activity they have the same difficulties into adjusting from a work free life as they would in their home country.

There is a large pool of talented people here, it's a pity that there aren't more volunteering opportunities without falling foul of Thai legislation. Mixing with other people is a basic building block of life, as well as feeling you have a purpose to your life irrespective of your age.

Even a simple thing like joining your local Camera club, tennis club, Thai Language classes, fishing club, anything!! anything that gives you a reason to get out of your bed and go mix with like minded people will stop that decay of inactivity.

"Many retirees find it difficult to adjust from working life to retirement"

I found this to be very easy. :lol:

Yes you are right I should join the French Club of Expats, they do visit of some Bangkok district for 1500 THB (which is half of my july's income), There, I would mingle with some bored expat's French wives, who's main worry is what shade of curtains the are going to chose for their pied à terre in Bali. That should be worth starving the rest of the month ! biggrin.gif

Yes you are right I should join the French Club of Expats, they do visit of some Bangkok district for 1500 THB (which is half of my july's income), There, I would mingle with some bored expat's French wives, who's main worry is what shade of curtains the are going to chose for their pied à terre in Bali. That should be worth starving the rest of the month ! biggrin.gif

you live on 3k baht per month :blink:

Your all sad on this website.

Seems most of you spend all day on here. Get a life.

I read about about 4 replies to this thread and its the usual crap.

I have never come across such a group of people that i have on this website.

Have a good day u muppets.

A new muppet has arrived to post here.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ME THINKS.

Throughout this thread I can't help but feel the OP merely intended to push buttons which he clearly did.

His lack of interest in dialogue is evident by his avoidance of several direct questions by numerous l posters.

Heck I wish I could reign in my budget a bit!.

Sorry 4300 thb but had to pay my 1900thb extension.

I see a lot of talented and experienced ex pats floating around aimlessly in Thailand.

Most of the expats I see in Pattaya seem to be incompetents or crooks or both.

Maybe all the talented and experienced ones are currently out of town, floating aimlessly.

Sorry 4300 thb but had to pay my 1900thb extension.

wow!!! that is pretty amazing.....Greece could do with you to sort out their deficit B)

Just a quick philosophical aside (do not want to hijack this thread and will not post again)........I think 99% of humans today exist and never really live before they die. They are like robots who are programmed to consume and follow instructions from a select unit of mega-greedy people who control them. They never understand who they are, where they are, what life is about, etc. They die without ever having lived. And now on a more positive note :)

I must agree with this. I watch an endless stream of dead men walking commute to work every day. They are dead already and have been unable to live a life.

Thanks for the replies to date. More interesting.

By the way, if these characters I am referring to come into some money I would bet they would change their lifestyle. Guaranteed.

Life is for living, not existing.

i think that is far from true about guaranteed, your idea of living would be somebody elses idea of hell. if there happy good luck to them

Thailand, probably the worst dressed expats in the world.

No doubt that I fit in that category. I dress to suit myself and I really don't have to impress anyone. Do you actually think that I would concern myself as to what you think? I dress comfortably and other than my wife throwing away some of my favorite clothes, I'm quite happy.

The Vietnam Veterans Organization was probably quite happy to receive about 40 ties, 10 sport jackets, 15 pairs of dress pants and a number of suits. My job required me to dress like an important person and those days are over. I will never wear a suit and tie again as long as I live.

There are people living in the west who sit in smug satisfaction confident they destroyed my life and I ran away to a third world country to live out my golden years in shame and poverty. I think they stand about the same chance of understanding Thailand as the OP which is pretty close to nil.

I have to wonder why the OP posted two almost identical posts. What is this doing for him? If I remember correctly he is bailing out in a couple of months anyway. Probably another case of the, “Thai woman did me wrong blues.”

I have to wonder why the OP posted two almost identical posts. What is this doing for him? If I remember correctly he is bailing out in a couple of months anyway. Probably another case of the, "Thai woman did me wrong blues."

You are a sharp observer, kerryk. Everyone else seems to have missed what you have caught him at.

I went in a bit more detail though, of his past posts, on page 3. He's definitely looking for affirmation. He is posting about himself.

Edited by happyrobert

:whistling:

See my other post on this topic for WHY I am here in Thailand.

I have read comments on here that seem tp presume that retirees here in Thailand somehow had a boring life and are here because we are losers,

Just for the record. I worked as a communications electronics technician before I retired.

Much of that work was for American companies overseas.

I worked and lived in the following:

Vietnam, Puerto Rico, Ethiopia, Iceland, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Greece.

I have a degree in Social Studies and specialized in American History.

My hobbies are Electronics, Psychology, and Astronomy.

I am a Buddhist and subscribe to 3 different Buddhist blogs. Zen Buddhism is a particular passion.

I also have an interest in Science and recieve two daily newsletters on the latest Science and Technology discoveries.

So please don't assume that all retirees in Thailand are just here slowly stagnating and rotting away.

As I said in my previous post, I retired here in Thailand by choice, because my Thai family is here.

Sp please do not assume all farangs that live in Thailand are losers or had a boring job before they retired.

Have you ever seen the White Nile rapids where the river meets the Blue Nile after it comes out of the Ethiopian highlands?

I have.

We are not all losers.

:whistling:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

when I lived in Thailand there was plenty of people saying 'England I could never go back there'

well those types it appeared were on the bones of their arse and would beg-steal-lie and cheat and love to play the victim, they had pretty much nothing to their name as they had spunked their nest egg.

I decided to move back as the work I was doing at the time(Estate Agent) became so popular with anyone and everyone setting up business doing it (well attempting to) that the name of all those in that profession has been badly damaged to pretty much beyond repair.

I had money, but not enough to carry on as I had been living like and luckily for me I still had youth on my side so knew it wouldn't be easy moving home but in the long term it was for the best.

I had 10 great years out there, but sometimes people need to wake up and realise that the position they are in or have put them in has changed and they need to do something about it?

Thailand, probably the worst dressed expats in the world.

No doubt that I fit in that category. I dress to suit myself and I really don't have to impress anyone. Do you actually think that I would concern myself as to what you think? I dress comfortably and other than my wife throwing away some of my favorite clothes, I'm quite happy.

The Vietnam Veterans Organization was probably quite happy to receive about 40 ties, 10 sport jackets, 15 pairs of dress pants and a number of suits. My job required me to dress like an important person and those days are over. I will never wear a suit and tie again as long as I live.

Why would your wife throw away your clothes without even asking you? That to me shows that she has very little respect for you, or the clothes are so crap that not even she can believe that you would actually wear them. Either way it puts you in a bad light.

So, tramp clothes or no respect from the wife? Which one is it?

when I lived in Thailand there was plenty of people saying 'England I could never go back there'

well those types it appeared were on the bones of their arse and would beg-steal-lie and cheat and love to play the victim, they had pretty much nothing to their name as they had spunked their nest egg.

I decided to move back as the work I was doing at the time(Estate Agent) became so popular with anyone and everyone setting up business doing it (well attempting to) that the name of all those in that profession has been badly damaged to pretty much beyond repair.

I had money, but not enough to carry on as I had been living like and luckily for me I still had youth on my side so knew it wouldn't be easy moving home but in the long term it was for the best.

I had 10 great years out there, but sometimes people need to wake up and realise that the position they are in or have put them in has changed and they need to do something about it?

that might be true 10 years ago, things are changing

I got a job at home lost it(relocation). Several months down the line, found a job in Thailand, lost it.

Why am still here? Both working or not, is way better here...

When I got a job in Paris I had t live in 8m2 flat.Here never a million years

When unemployed, here I get to eat veggie with my rice/noodles, back in Europe I could not afford it.

In Paris every company is relocating their production in Asia, no point going back there ...

Last March was the last time spoke to a Ferang, i work all over Thailand,but i never see them in Industry, never even think much about them really.Ive found they dont stay long anyway, they get Screwed by the tarts, and go home , or go back to Pattaya in search of a Good Feed.Theres plenty to do if your Mobile and Fit.

Last March was the last time spoke to a Ferang, i work all over Thailand,but i never see them in Industry, never even think much about them really.Ive found they dont stay long anyway, they get Screwed by the tarts, and go home , or go back to Pattaya in search of a Good Feed.Theres plenty to do if your Mobile and Fit.

that might be true 10 years ago, things are changing

I got a job at home lost it(relocation). Several months down the line, found a job in Thailand, lost it.

Why am still here? Both working or not, is way better here...

When I got a job in Paris I had t live in 8m2 flat.Here never a million years

When unemployed, here I get to eat veggie with my rice/noodles, back in Europe I could not afford it.

In Paris every company is relocating their production in Asia, no point going back there ...

appreciate what you are saying, but theres too much temptation to be caught up in something that could put you in thailand for the rest of your life regardless of whether you never want to return home or not....I see it with my own eyes, okay it was in Pattaya but quite sensible people turning up there with money, blowing it then being preyed on by those who look for people in desperation....

anyway as said before I think there is a job for you out there but afraid it's a relocation job and in Greece :whistling:

Enjoy the good times but don't just give up and say this is it for me is the way I look at things :jap:

Please put this out of its misery.

You want to put the best thread that has been on here for a long long time out of it's misery?

Would you rather go back to discussing how much grown men spend on a tin of baked beans, or what a rip off it is that the cinema prices have increased by 5 baht??

I have to wonder why the OP posted two almost identical posts. What is this doing for him? If I remember correctly he is bailing out in a couple of months anyway. Probably another case of the, "Thai woman did me wrong blues."

You are a sharp observer, kerryk. Everyone else seems to have missed what you have caught him at.

I went in a bit more detail though, of his past posts, on page 3. He's definitely looking for affirmation. He is posting about himself.

The guy just likes to stir up trouble. He never posts any answers i will ignore his threads in future.

Please put this out of its misery.

You want to put the best thread that has been on here for a long long time out of it's misery?

Would you rather go back to discussing how much grown men spend on a tin of baked beans, or what a rip off it is that the cinema prices have increased by 5 baht??

I'd rather discuss man's inhumanity to man on Beano's thread but I'm too drunk.

The OP asks for thoughts...well., the same ones came to me that came to so many others -- and which came to me the last couple times time this _____ posted some ____ about the way other people live --and I was going to read through the thread and the post something about it...

But then I got to this and thought, it doesn't get better than this:

By way of comparison would you say you understood these people more better or less better than you understand the ThaiVisa quotation system?

And just as an aside, do you think any of these sad unfortunate people you're talking about spend even a fraction of the amount of time you spend thinking about them, thinking about you? Probably not or there would have been a condescending prick thread already.

Perfect.

I've had some fantastic times when I have been absolutely penniless in the past. You get a real sense of camaraderie and a kind of keen gallows humour when having to share lao kao in a bare apartment with others that are in the same boat. It's no fun when rent day comes about though.

Truth.