Khon Kaen Compared To Chiang Mai

Renoir

Hi,

I spent a month visiting Thailand and forgot to visit Isaan :-( My guidebook barely mentions Isaan but now I see that I may have missed something. According to Wikipedia, Chiang Mai has about the same population as Knon Kaen. I enjoyed visiting Chiang Mai. How does those two cities compare? Is there enough things to do there to spend a few months there? I will take an early retirement in about two years and I am looking for places to visit and stay for a while.

Thanks,

Renoir

Dear Renoir,

Most farang living in Khon Kaen prefer this town as it is.

Please go to Chiang Mai, Udon Thani. Korat, Pattaya, Bangkok, wherever.

But please leave KK as unspoiled, underpriced, Thai!

Thank you

Dear Renoir,

Thank you

I do not believe that is what the op asked ?? He was asking how does Khon Kaen compare to Chaiang Mai, in locals opinions

ps - Khon Kaen isn't that cheap anymore, slowly catching up with it's southern compatriots jap.gif

No comparison. Chang Mai is a mature tourist destination with plenty of attractions, things to do, cultural scene and a large population of expats.

Khon Kaen has very little if any foreign tourism, therefore limited things to do. It has a growing population of expats. Mainly those who have moved with the GF's from Bangkok or Pattaya (I know I'll get me head ripped off for saying this. But it's the truth).

I enjoy both, but for different reasons.

And why do you enjoy Khon Kaen?

Renoir

No comparison. Chang Mai is a mature tourist destination with plenty of attractions, things to do, cultural scene and a large population of expats.

Khon Kaen has very little if any foreign tourism, therefore limited things to do. It has a growing population of expats. Mainly those who have moved with the GF's from Bangkok or Pattaya (I know I'll get me head ripped off for saying this. But it's the truth).

I enjoy both, but for different reasons.

Dear Renoir,

Thank you

Kudos!:jap:

In my not so humble opinion there are a lot better places in isaan than khon kaen.

Having said that, everybody likes different things. If you are serious about retiring somewhere in thailand I would recommend visiting different places to see which one you like. Udon thani, nongkhai, nakhon phanom, ubon ratchatani, sisaket, surin, etc, etc are some of the places in isaan or maybe some of the small villages. Or chiang rai, chiang dao, phitsanulook etc etc in the north.. Might also be worth checking out some places in Cambodia if you don't have your heart set on Thailand.

Opinions are subjective so there is no reason to flame me for this, it's simply my opinion: So to answer the question; compared to Chiang mai khon kaen is a sheet hole on a stick.. I'm sure people have found their peace of heaven there, but to me it was a one of the most boring places I've been in thailand.

Having said that, maybe it would work for you so check it out. (And I was there less than 24h)

Edited by remiss

"Hi,

I spent a month visiting Thailand and forgot to visit Isaan :-( My guidebook barely mentions Isaan but now I see that I may have missed something. According to Wikipedia, Chiang Mai has about the same population as Knon Kaen. I enjoyed visiting Chiang Mai. How does those two cities compare? Is there enough things to do there to spend a few months there? I will take an early retirement in about two years and I am looking for places to visit and stay for a while.

Thanks,

Renoir "

I would suggest that if you want information on various cities around Thailand you can do your research on the net,most Cities also have forums that you can get a lot of info from....it is not rocket science!

Personally Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen are totally different Cities and you just cannot compare the two,you say..." Is there enough things to do there to spend a few months there?"

What do you like to do?

What hobbies/interests do you have?

What are your likes and dislikes?

How much money would you like to spend or save?

These really are questions that only you can answer by visiting different Cities yourself and letting the places and the people get under your skin.

Khon Kaen is working city with a lot of new money being spent here,the housing boom is everywhere and they are getting bought,entertainment is to my taste Thai style.And the numerous restaurants and places of relaxation and entertainment will not be found in a couple of months,this is a big city and it needs time to understand it.I love Khon Kaen. jap.gif

Having been to many places in Thailand I can assure you that CM is far more interesting than KK (as a visitor). I spent 10 days in KK, which was 8 days too many. If you want to visit Isaan, then might I suggest Udon Thani as being a better option. (just a personal observation)