Uk Passport Photographs

Udox

I am about to renew a UK passport but the very strict requirement for the passport photograph are crazy (15 different bullet points/guidelines)

Has anyone used a photographer or photograph shop here in Phuket who is able to comply with the strict measurements and quality guidelines required and even better if they have used those photographs to successfully secure a new or replacement UK passport?

The cost and time involved (must be sent to Hong Kong for processing the passport) means I want to get it right - first time.

My last passport renewal I was aware of the strict photo requirements for UK passport. Someone recommend a photography shop in Chalong, so I tried there and the shop assistant assured me they could supply an acceptable photo, so Ok I used their services. Off to UK Embassy in Bangkok (that was 2 years back when we could still apply there), nope photos no use. Had to go to a place near the embassy for new photos. I tell this story to make others aware that you cannot always believe what vendors tell you.

The Kodak Shop in Central Festival took pictures which were good enough for my German passport, all this biometric stuff e.a. Maybe you should give them a try. Third floor (cinema level) on right side of the entrance to the department store, opposite the book store.

The Kodak Shop in Central Festival took pictures which were good enough for my German passport, all this biometric stuff e.a. Maybe you should give them a try. Third floor (cinema level) on right side of the entrance to the department store, opposite the book store.

Thanks for the several suggestions.

Yes the new biometric requirements are whats making it difficult.

Your eyes must be a certain distance apart and the distance from your chin to your hairline must be within the limitations etc etc...

At first I wondered how I was going to change the shape and size of my face - but then realised it will depend on how close or distant you sit from the camera. :)

Its my plan to send 2 or three different photographs (2 from each shop) and they can take their pick and bin the rest. for the sake of 150 baht or whatever the cost is of a set of passport photo's.

Its a darn sight easier than getting you application rejected from Hong Kong

Thanks for the several suggestions.

Yes the new biometric requirements are whats making it difficult.

Your eyes must be a certain distance apart and the distance from your chin to your hairline must be within the limitations etc etc...

At first I wondered how I was going to change the shape and size of my face - but then realised it will depend on how close or distant you sit from the camera. :)

Its my plan to send 2 or three different photographs (2 from each shop) and they can take their pick and bin the rest. for the sake of 150 baht or whatever the cost is of a set of passport photo's.

Its a darn sight easier than getting you application rejected from Hong Kong

Oh No - they ask for 2, you send them 6, that'll only confuse uk government and therefore increase the price 20% biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif glad I renewed my last January

In the end I tried the Kodak shop in Central festival (3rd floor in front of Dept. Store entrance)

I showed them the UK requirements and they kept telling me no problem, no problem - even took the photo with a shabby background (white) and told me - "we can make it any colour you want - later"

Returned after 30 minutes and had 12 pictures waiting (150 baht)

I had a ruler and spent 15 minutes examining every detail of the picture - including with the template downloaded from embassy website.

I could not find any fault whatsoever and even the background was 'light grey' as asked for.

I concluded that any other photographer could not be any more precise than this - they were exactly as requested so decided to send just those.

I sent my application by DHL in Koh Kaew at 10.30 on Monday morning (cost 962 baht for both deliveries- there and back)

On Wednesday at 1100 I had an sms from my credit card company to tell me the money had been withdrawn (2009 HK$)

I assume then that the photo's have passed and now just wait for my passport back.

So far I am impressed with the whole process :)

Thanks for the recommendation hkt83100 :)

Let us know how fast you get your new passport, Udox.

I also just sent for a new UK passport, made photos at a photo shop in Kathu opposite the entrance to Prince of Songkhla University. The owner seemed to know exactly what the requirements are for the photos. I sent the application by EMS on July 26th. The EMS tracking online is excellent - I could see that my application was delivered July 28th in the morning. Lets see how long the new passport takes!

I also just sent for a new UK passport, made photos at a photo shop in Kathu opposite the entrance to Prince of Songkhla University. The owner seemed to know exactly what the requirements are for the photos. I sent the application by EMS on July 26th. The EMS tracking online is excellent - I could see that my application was delivered July 28th in the morning. Lets see how long the new passport takes!

Well I have been checking the DHL Tracking daily and there is still no record of my tracking number for the return of my passport - so I assume it hasn't been dispatched yet (as of today 7 Aug)

How much did it cost you to send by EMS - because apparently they have a special 'deal' with DHL for passport applications to HK. (I paid 962 baht for 2 way postage with DHL)

Well I have been checking the DHL Tracking daily and there is still no record of my tracking number for the return of my passport - so I assume it hasn't been dispatched yet (as of today 7 Aug)

How much did it cost you to send by EMS - because apparently they have a special 'deal' with DHL for passport applications to HK. (I paid 962 baht for 2 way postage with DHL)

According to the DHL website - my new passport is on its way back to me. It was picked up at 1746 hrs today - 11 August, so should be here within 48 hours ?

I posted it in Phuket on Tuesday 26 July so a 2 week turnaround isn't that bad :)

Its all going amazingly well - so far.

According to the DHL website - my new passport is on its way back to me. It was picked up at 1746 hrs today - 11 August, so should be here within 48 hours ?

I posted it in Phuket on Tuesday 26 July so a 2 week turnaround isn't that bad :)

Its all going amazingly well - so far.

My new British Passport arrived by DHL yesterday (13th August). I had sent the application by EMS on 26th July. Passport photos were done at a photo shop in Kathu near the entrance to Prince of Songkhla University. No problems, except I should have sent for a new one earlier as it was due to expire soon - you can apply for a new passport up to 9 months before your old one expires.

My new British Passport arrived by DHL yesterday (13th August). I had sent the application by EMS on 26th July. Passport photos were done at a photo shop in Kathu near the entrance to Prince of Songkhla University. No problems, except I should have sent for a new one earlier as it was due to expire soon - you can apply for a new passport up to 9 months before your old one expires.

You can apply at any time for a new passport, mine does not expire until 2016, and I have already sent away for a new one.

You can apply at any time for a new passport, mine does not expire until 2016, and I have already sent away for a new one.

Will the new passport be dated to start 2016 ??

They cannot predate a Passport, it is valid as of the day they received the paperwork. Mine current one has 2 pages left, am going to Hong Kong in October and have an extension to do then as well, also a re-entry permit, and then Switzerland and the UK next year.

The notes for form C1 (application form) say "You may apply for a renewal of your passport up to 9 months in advance of your application, without losing any validity. For example if you apply for a passport in January, but your passport is not due to expire until September, we can add the additional 9 months onto your new passport, making your new passport valid for 10 years and 9 months. You can apply earlier than 9 months in advance of the expiry of your passport, but we will not be able to add any further validity to your new passport."

Anyone needing to renew a British passport from Thailand should check this website: http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/renewals

The notes for form C1 (application form) say "You may apply for a renewal of your passport up to 9 months in advance of your application, without losing any validity. For example if you apply for a passport in January, but your passport is not due to expire until September, we can add the additional 9 months onto your new passport, making your new passport valid for 10 years and 9 months. You can apply earlier than 9 months in advance of the expiry of your passport, but we will not be able to add any further validity to your new passport."

Anyone needing to renew a British passport from Thailand should check this website: http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/renewals

I finally got my passport back today. The old one was full but wasn't due to expire until 2014. They have given me 10 years and 9 months on this one meaning it will expire in May 2022 (Issued in August 2011)

I cannot fault the system for passport renewal despite having to send it to HK. A little under 3 weeks from posting to getting it back.

I can though, fault the DHL service in Phuket. They received it in Phuket at lunchtime on Saturday (according to their online tracking facility)

By lunchtime today (Monday) I still didn't have it so went to their office in Koh Kaew. Apparently they tried to deliver it on Saturday but couldn't find my house.

I asked why they didn't call - the number is on the front of the package.

"Oh the driver called 3 times but there was no reply and in the end he left a message with your wife"

My wife?

Yes sir - your wife.

"I am not married and live alone !"

Oh maybe he means your voicemail then

OK lets check my voicemail - hmmm , zero messages, lets check missed calls - hmm, zero missed calls !

OK wheres the package now?

With the driver Sir

The same driver who can't find my house ?

Yes Sir (take a moment to cringe)

To cut the story short - the driver got to my house (with my directions passed to the office) and assured me he had called last Saturday

I asked to see his phone and sure enough there were the three missed calls - the number was not mine though, he had messed up the sevens and one's - even the number was written clearly on the package

He left - head held low !

Now then - I assume I need to transfer my arrival stamp into the new passport at Phuket immigration.

Will they charge me for this (no doubt ?)

Has anyone done this recently in Phuket ?

Will they charge me for this (no doubt ?)

Has anyone done this recently in Phuket ?

I went yesterday to Immigration to transfer my visa to the new passport. No charge. The guy to see for this is Khun Noppong.

I went to immigration today and explained to the (English) Immigration Volunteer Assistant that my actual visa had expired and I was staying (legally) on the last 3 months of my visa run which I did just before the visa actually expired and that next month I will go out of Thailand and 'buy' another 1 year visa - so do I need to transfer anything into my new passport ?

I was told categorically NO

because the visa had expired and I was here on the last few weeks of my final entry, and next month would be getting a new visa anyway, there was no need to transfer anything and when I questioned about how will they know when I leave what my required exit date is - that he told me I will need to exit using both passports as evidence of legality of stay - and once I have exited - the old passport can be put away somewhere safe as I will then revert to the new passport with the new visa and from thereon in - just continue with (just) the new passport.

Sounds believable I guess - but if he is wrong - they can hardly say I am here illegally (I have a valid stamp in my old passport, obtained on the back of a 1 year visa - also in the old passport)) and if I do get problems when i next exit, guess who will be first on my visit list ! However we must assume that if they are giving out advice to foreigners in an official capacity - that information should be correct and they are well trained? (am I optimistic or not)

Sitting next to him was the 'European' Assistant Volunteer who made such a spectacular job of messing up my forms for a residency letter last visit. I made sure to speak to the (English) guy next to him this time.

Sounds believable I guess - but if he is wrong - they can hardly say I am here illegally (I have a valid stamp in my old passport, obtained on the back of a 1 year visa - also in the old passport)) and if I do get problems when i next exit, guess who will be first on my visit list ! However we must assume that if they are giving out advice to foreigners in an official capacity - that information should be correct and they are well trained? (am I optimistic or not)

Seems like you have a non immigrant visa multi entry valid for one year. And your one year has expired but you made a visa rum before it expired and your exit stamp is still in-date. That being the case then there is nothing to transfer to your new passport. You leave Thailand on your old passport (passport must still be valid at least until the exit stamp date), you get a new visa outside Thailand, re-enter with the new visa, go to Immigration and have them transfer the new visa into the new passport.

Seems like you have a non immigrant visa multi entry valid for one year. And your one year has expired but you made a visa rum before it expired and your exit stamp is still in-date. That being the case then there is nothing to transfer to your new passport. You leave Thailand on your old passport (passport must still be valid at least until the exit stamp date), you get a new visa outside Thailand, re-enter with the new visa, go to Immigration and have them transfer the new visa into the new passport.

You are correct that I have (had) a multi-entry which expired earlier this month - and correct again that I made a final visa run just before it expired, to give me 3 'free' months. I can stay here until October, however will obtain another 'new' visa next month somewhere outside of Thailand.

When Hong Kong receive your passport application forms - they automatically (electronically) cancel your old passport and I will be unable to use it as a valid travel document. (So technically it is still in date but 'electronically' invalid as it has been (or will be) superseded by the new passport). The number is also different so I suspect that when they scan it - it will show as an invalid document.

Naturally now I have a nice new passport - I will get the new visa put into that new one. Your post seems to imply I would put my new visa into my old (now invalid) passport, and then get it transferred into my new one at immigration. Why would I do that ?

The only reason they told me to take two passports on my next exit - was to prove I was here legally and what date I should leave. He will then stamp me out and close the book (so to speak) on me here in Thailand.

Me, re-entering a few days later will start a whole new chapter. Nice new passport, nice new visa and nice new entry stamp (Hopefully). I will feel like a virgin again :)