Just How Much More Can They Keep Jacking Up The Price ?

My PCX was in for a service yesterday at Mityon in Naklua Road.

While i was waiting, i enquired how much a new CBR 250 (non ABS) was - 138,000 b was the reply....

Told the lady that was 38,000b above list price - she just shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

And to think i could have bought one (from Mityon) for 100,000 6 months ago.

are people out there actually paying 30% plus over list price to get one ?

Suddenly the Kwacker 250 ninja looks good value !

Pattaya always seems expensive, its very easy to shop around with the internet most dealers in BKK are 110,000 with a few shops in other areas still selling at list 99,000 (chumphon I think).

sumet the sponsor sells at 115,000 with free first class insurance helmet and jacket, and I believe openly spoke of a decrease in the price due Q3 this year.

Pattaya always seems expensive, its very easy to shop around with the internet most dealers in BKK are 110,000 with a few shops in other areas still selling at list 99,000 (chumphon I think).

sumet the sponsor sells at 115,000 with free first class insurance helmet and jacket, and I believe openly spoke of a decrease in the price due Q3 this year.

Sumet may just earn my business afterall, even though it means a flight to BKK and a ride back up to Chiang Mai :)

I was visiting the beautiful new Kawasaki showroom (http://www.realmotosports.com/) on Ramkamhaeng road last week and asked the rather attractive English speaking sales girl what their best selling bike is- rather surprised to hear it's the Ninja 250R. Apparently there are still plenty of buyers out there who recognize that the little Ninjette is worth a bit more money than the new Honda CB'r'. :lol:

I can empathise with the OP but its a free market and dealers will ask what ever the market will bear. Remember, you have the Golden Rule: He who has the gold rules. If they refuse to deal, vote with your feet and walk away :)

I was visiting the beautiful new Kawasaki showroom (http://www.realmotosports.com/) on Ramkamhaeng road last week and asked the rather attractive English speaking sales girl what their best selling bike is- rather surprised to hear it's the Ninja 250R. Apparently there are still plenty of buyers out there who recognize that the little Ninjette is worth a bit more money than the new Honda CB'r'. :lol:

So you're saying the best selling bike at a Kawasaki dealership is a Kawasaki?

Got mine at Chumphon 2 weeks ago for 99k so well worth the trip down from Kanchanaburi where my two local dealers have it at 120k and 140k and say waiting list of 2 months.

One could also argue that the way the CBR is vastly outselling the Ninjette then there are plenty more buyers who recognise the fantastic value of it even when dealers are marking the price up.

So you're saying the best selling bike at a Kawasaki dealership is a Kawasaki?

Um, no... I'm saying that of the dozen or so different models that they sell that the Ninja 250R is the top seller. Get it? :rolleyes:

One could also argue that the way the CBR is vastly outselling the Ninjette then there are plenty more buyers who recognise the fantastic value of it even when dealers are marking the price up.

No doubt Honda will sell more cheap CB'r's than Kawasaki will sell Ninjette's. Just as Kawasaki will sell more Versys' than Triumph will sell Tiger 800's. Volume of sales doesn't have much bearing on the quality of the vehicle. I'm just a pleasantly surprised that the cheap new CR'r' hasn't put a big dent in Kawasaki's sales of the more expensive Ninjette. Obviously the Ninjette buyers recognize that their bike is worth the additional money. :)

My apologies for being a noob, but what's the difference between the 250R and the 250SE?

Perhaps you're referring to the Kawasaki Special Edition colors?

Yes, http://www.realmotosports.com/ listed the 250 twice with the R having XXX,XXX as price (does that mean extra options?),and the SE at 147,500. Specs listed look the same. It's just the paint job then, eh? I was thinking along the lines of the Daytona 675 vs the Daytona 675R.

We actually sell the non ABS model for 120,000, but do in fact include one year of first class insurance coverage, a jacket, and helmet in this price. Thanks.

Brian

What a joke, there has been 7 Ninja 250s gathering dust here in Pattaya Kawasaki for over a month. There is no demand if they are piling up in the showrooms. :whistling:

If you guys want to save money just buy a used cbr 250, they are everywhere for 85k up. Being that they are still relatively new, cant see much going wrong with them.

And factory warrant still intact Used CBR 250r if you need help communicating send me a PM.

I just rented one for 2 days and glad I didn't buy one new, while its a comfortable bike, that's really all it has going for it. No way it will hang with a Ninja. My test is going uphill Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, and although the CBR 250 is 'supposed' to have more torque. The Ninja felt much more at ease climbing up.

My apologies for being a noob, but what's the difference between the 250R and the 250SE?

Perhaps you're referring to the Kawasaki Special Edition colors?

Yes, http://www.realmotosports.com/ listed the 250 twice with the R having XXX,XXX as price (does that mean extra options?),and the SE at 147,500. Specs listed look the same. It's just the paint job then, eh? I was thinking along the lines of the Daytona 675 vs the Daytona 675R.

Hmmm, I know in some countries that the Special Edition is more expensive but I thought that here in Thailand the price was the same... Actually looking at the Kawasaki Thailand site I think they only sell Special Edition colors right now. The paint and decals are the ONLY difference between Special Edition and regular. AFAIK price is still 147500 Baht for the Ninjette 250 (EX250).

What a joke, there has been 7 Ninja 250s gathering dust here in Pattaya Kawasaki for over a month. There is no demand if they are piling up in the showrooms. :whistling:

I don't know anything about Mityon's sales figures in Pattaya. Just telling you what the sales girl told me here in Bangkok where the Ninjette is their best selling bike. It doesn't surprise me that most farang retirees on fixed incomes down in Pattaya would prefer the cheaper CB'r'... Though honestly I think a scooter would be far better for getting around Pattaya than a motorcycle. :whistling:

If you guys want to save money just buy a used cbr 250, they are everywhere for 85k up. Being that they are still relatively new, cant see much going wrong with them.

And factory warrant still intact Used CBR 250r if you need help communicating send me a PM.

I just rented one for 2 days and glad I didn't buy one new, while its a comfortable bike, that's really all it has going for it. No way it will hang with a Ninja. My test is going uphill Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, and although the CBR 250 is 'supposed' to have more torque. The Ninja felt much more at ease climbing up.

Wow that's a lot of bikes up for sale and they've only been on the market what? 2-3 months? I guess it reflects what a lot of my Thai friends have told me- that people buy the bike because it's cheap, then realize once they have it how boring it is and get rid of it...

Wow that's a lot of bikes up for sale and they've only been on the market what? 2-3 months? I guess it reflects what a lot of my Thai friends have told me- that people buy the bike because it's cheap, then realize once they have it how boring it is and get rid of it...

Tony, you have to make up your mind once in a while.

First you say its normal that more Honda's will be sold then Ninja's and does not mean the ninja is bad

Now later you say.. wow so many Honda's are being sold second hand must be because they are bad.

So first when it positive for Honda it does not matter that many are sold has nothing to do with quality. Then when many are resold volume does come into play seems like you want to use the same argument on both sides to bad mouth Honda.

First saying volume is not important and later saying it is whatever suits you best.

Come on your a good rider but not a genius that is clear now

Also the amount of bikes for sale might be a reflection of how many were sold new first. Its only natural that many will be for resale.

Tony, you have to make up your mind once in a while.

First you say its normal that more Honda's will be sold then Ninja's and does not mean the ninja is bad

Now later you say.. wow so many Honda's are being sold second hand must be because they are bad.

So first when it positive for Honda it does not matter that many are sold has nothing to do with quality. Then when many are resold volume does come into play seems like you want to use the same argument on both sides to bad mouth Honda.

First saying volume is not important and later saying it is whatever suits you best.

Come on your a good rider but not a genius that is clear now

Also the amount of bikes for sale might be a reflection of how many were sold new first. Its only natural that many will be for resale.

Certainly I've never claimed to be a genius! Riding big bikes in Thailand might even indicate a screw loose ;)

But I'm not sure I agree with you that comparing new vehicle sales to sales of second hand vehicles isn't revealing.

I'd argue that it's quite odd to find dozens and dozens of second hand CB'r' 250's up for sale only months after they went on sale. It doesn't strike you as odd? Again, I'm no genius, but I can only think of a couple explanations.

1) A lot of buyers can't make the payments and need to sell.

2) A lot of buyers are not happy with their purchase and want to sell. (Buyer's remorse).

I really can't think of any other reasons to explain why so many CB'r' are turning up for sale only months after they were sold. Can you?

We've only got a handful of CB'r' 250 owners posting on this forum so it's hard to define any trends, but one owner already sold his bike in favor of a Versys and another has been telling us from day one that his Honda is just to hold him over until he can save enough money for a bigger bike...

Probably 1,2 and 3.

The Cbr250 is an introduction to Bigger bikes especially here in Thailand. Many are Looking at them and thinking WOW i can get one of those.

Then for what ever reason are selling them on, that could be that they do not like them, maybe they can't get used to the clutch or the extra weight or even the extra POWER B) .

OR 3) that they have just decided that big bikes are cool and they are buying Kawasaki 650's OR some such.

Personally I think its about 50% number one. 35% number two and 15% number three.

Edited by thaicbr

As I've pointed out in another thread there was a VAST exodus of bikers that went from the EX250 to the ER-6 in the same ~3 months time period. Also noted was the fact that there are only a few remaining owners of EX250 on this forum that are actively posting.

There is something to be said about people seeking value; this undoubtably makes the CBR quite attractive. Add in the Honda glitz that Thais are enamoured with along with easy credit that they're notorious for not keeping up with, makes it not terribly surprising to me that there are a lot of bikes up for sale. How many of the bikes for sale (to be honest I'm not too keen on looking through them all) are farang owned? How many of those guys were looking to do what Snowflake did and use it as a stepping stone to their next big bike or were coming from the West having spent quite a bit of time riding big bikes and were using the CBR to get used to Thai motorcycle riding?

The claim that Kawasaki's sales leader is the same-same as it is in the States shouldn't really surprise anyone; refer back to the consensus that value rules (even more so in an economy that has less purchasing power). But without actual sales figures what does that mean? I'm sure that the 318i is BMW-Thailand's best selling sedan; but compared to say Toyota Camry sales it means nothing in the grand scheme. And I'm sure there are a LOT more couple month old Camry (ies?) being sold at any point in time than BMWs. Does that mean that the people that purchase the BMW are more satisfied with the car than the Camry purchasers? Perhaps, or more likely the much SMALLER number of 318i being sold have a smaller prescense in the pre-owned market?

"Whatever the market will bear" refers to monopolies, oligopolies and/or collusion = greed attaching itself to the ability to limit or refuse performance. It is not a 'law' but a method of producing excessive profit by intentionally cutting off availability. Adam Smith did not approve.

It cannot be used in a free market where there is competition for sales. It is the result of limiting production of goods by those able to do so.

But this is a huge worldwide problem due to a popular brand being in greater demand than Honda is able to supply; that is, Honda is not limiting little CBR's in order to make more profit but because it takes a while to build new factories when their new model has been successful beyond thier dreams.

The only way for purchasers to bring down prices in such situations is to not buy (market no longer bears the price). As the only alternative from a major seller is from Kawasaki and its price is much higher, one's only choice here - to avoid excessive prices - is to wait, in this case. Fools and their money are soon parted is not an economic law - it is an observed phenomenon to which many westerners in the market will deny, as the sum, to them, seems unimportant.

Or, it appears, we can purchase second hand, probably from a Thai seller, as farang are not posting here v. often.

Just a comment on the thread title: Given the excellent prices in the Thai CBR thread as shown above, the new prices will drop very shortly. 105k for an almost new ABS model, 85k for non-ABS... I am almost tempted to get one for the mrs...