With The New PM, What's In Store For Thailand?

webfact

ANALYSIS

With the new PM, what's in store for the Kingdom?

By Kornchanok Raksaseri

The Nation

Pheu Thai's top candidate Yingluck Shinawatra has moved closer to becoming Thailand's first female prime minister following her endorsement by the Election Commission as an MP.

Her government meanwhile is expected to be formed and to start working by the end of August.

Her next step is to wait for the number of the endorsed MPs to reach 95 per cent of the total of 500 so that the House of Representatives can open.

As of Wednesday, the EC had endorsed a total of 370 MPs, including 259 constituency and 111 party-list MPs who won the July 3 election. To meet the minimum requirement of 475, at least 105 more MPs need to be endorsed for the first House convention.

The EC met again to consider more MP endorsements yesterday, but it was still uncertain as of press time whether the minimum requirement would be met.

However, the agency has all along insisted it will endorse the required number of MPs within the deadline of 30 days after the election.

That means in early August, the House of Representatives will open and the House Speaker will then be selected. After royal endorsement, another House convention will be called for the selection of the prime minister.

The Cabinet line-up is expected to be announced soon after the royal endorsement of the prime minister.

Many people are currently waiting to see the faces of the new Cabinet members, which might determine the government's longevity. Optimistic Thais, on the other hand, would expect the government chosen through the election to end Thailand's long political turmoil. Also, many hot issues are waiting to be addressed.

The high prices of food, fuel and fertiliser are among them. Workers, including those of state enterprises, are waiting to celebrate the Bt300 minimum daily wage promoted by Pheu Thai Party.

Many are waiting to see how the relationship between Thailand and Cambodia will develop and what Thailand will do after the International Court of Justice's order to withdraw troops from the disputed area adjacent to the Preah Vihear temple, as Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has said he might leave this for the new government due to legal requirements.

And many are waiting to see what the first female prime minister of Thailand, with the support of her brother, former prime minister Thaksin, will do for the country.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-22

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by raising the mininum wage increases more immmergrant like Bermease and Camidoians to come over. seems like a Taksin move. Seems like he wnta tro open the doors of Thailand to get back at the Thai people.

If the minimum age goes up then the customer would be charged more. inflation would go up. or bosses would look for more reasons to charge the workers like up their accomdation 300 vbaht more and stilll charge the customer.

Wasn't this tried in Greese and failed badly. unless that is what Taksin wants.

sounds like the future means more immergrants more poor thai people then back to where we started. good for me though i wnt to sell houses which means to build houses the same as mine would probably cost 40% more due to building the same house would cost 40 % more plus the rise in building materials.

but i ain't greedy prefer a stable economy to value of my house rising there again houses are only worth as much as what people want to pay. they might just not come here.

i know the thais really do not wnat to sell of land to forangs.

SHame they cannot do a deal where in sertain provinces of ampers we can buy stuff. like forangs land zones or thai/ forang zones.

The title of the article was a little misleading. All the nation did ws repeat common knowledge. It gave no indication if the new PM will even address those issues much less how .

'

I personally do not hold much hope for a better stronger Thailand to be a result of there actions. Nor do I see the gap between the rich and the poor getting shorter.

All that being said they are here and all we can hope is that they will change thier ways and work for the betterment of Thailand even if they can not personally make money off the deals.

Edited by metisdead
Comments on HM the King removed.

Defence Policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Domestic policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Economic policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Education policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Energy policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Environmental Policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Foreign policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Health policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Housing policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Information policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Macroeconomic policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Monetary policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Population policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Science policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Social policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Transport policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Urban policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Water policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

Defence Policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Domestic policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Economic policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Education policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Energy policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Environmental Policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Foreign policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Health policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Housing policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Information policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Macroeconomic policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Monetary policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Population policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Science policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Social policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Transport policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Urban policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Water policy: We’re working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

This is much more informative than the Nation article - and so much more to the point, too. Thanks! :lol:

What's In Store For Thailand?

Well, let me take a stab in the dark on what is in store for Thailand with the new PM?

Inflation, inflation, inflation and more inflation! And let's wait and watch the buying power of baht fizzles into nothing so the 300 baht/day wage would actually be a decrease in living standard!

Well, let me take a stab in the dark on what is in store for Thailand with the new PM?

Inflation, inflation, inflation and more inflation! And let's wait and watch the buying power of baht fizzles into nothing so the 300 baht/day wage would actually be a decrease in living standard!

tsk. tsk such a cynic - they'll just print more money - problem solved!!

PTP will be in power during economic growth phase of the world economy, everyone will be cheering PTPs economic policy irrespective of the fact it will be riding on the back of something they have very little control over.

It will be the same across the world, regardless of the policies of the respective governments has, even if it hinders growth during this time, growth is growth so will be applauded.

and they will probably deliver on the 300baht promise (and the other stuff), though i doubt they would have been able to deliver had they been in power 3 years ago.

Edited by dickyknee

Depends on how long they're in; more than a couple of years and it's back to MEGA corruption, political 'stability' due to aggressive suppression of opposition, high inflation, etc etc. Thaksin will be back, and it's no more Mr.Nice guy! Get used to the idea, nothing us farang can do but watch and weep as it unfolds. Doom and gloom I'm afraid, unless that is, did someone say "coup"?

Do you really think bringing Thaksin back is their main priority ;)

Defence Policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Domestic policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Economic policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Education policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Energy policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Environmental Policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Foreign policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Health policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Housing policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Information policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Macroeconomic policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Monetary policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Population policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Science policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Social policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Transport policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Urban policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Water policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Do you really think bringing Thaksin back is their main priority ;)

It's NOT their main priority, but I think it's their ONLY mission.

by raising the mininum wage increases more immmergrant like Bermease and Camidoians to come over. seems like a Taksin move. Seems like he wnta tro open the doors of Thailand to get back at the Thai people.

If the minimum age goes up then the customer would be charged more. inflation would go up. or bosses would look for more reasons to charge the workers like up their accomdation 300 vbaht more and stilll charge the customer.

sounds like the future means more immergrants more poor thai people then back to where we started. good for me though i wnt to sell houses which means to build houses the same as mine would probably cost 40% more due to building the same house would cost 40 % more plus the rise in building materials.

but i ain't greedy prefer a stable economy to value of my house rising there again houses are only worth as much as what people want to pay. they might just not come here.

SHame they cannot do a deal where in sertain provinces of ampers we can buy stuff. like forangs land zones or thai/ forang zones.

here you go again alway having a go at the new government give them a chance we all know by now you dont like the red shirt's but try and say something new1 Edited by soundman
Fixed quotes.

well wage increase=price increase=less competitive=less investment=less jobs=higher unemployment=trouble

Thailand managed to stay under radar while the entire world hit crisis, i guess PTP policy's would help Thailand to join the rest of the world.

Not to mention, cutting company tax by 7% would decrease government revenue, so i am really unsure how they going to wiggle out of this one.

PTP will be in power during economic growth phase of the world economy, everyone will be cheering PTPs economic policy irrespective of the fact it will be riding on the back of something they have very little control over.

It will be the same across the world, regardless of the policies of the respective governments has, even if it hinders growth during this time, growth is growth so will be applauded.

and they will probably deliver on the 300baht promise (and the other stuff), though i doubt they would have been able to deliver had they been in power 3 years ago.

you talk some rot don't you , but i do understand full well as you are always printing the same when you are on that you dont like the Reds, to you if the do bad it will be see i told you so , and if they do well it's what is going on in the world..................you have so many bright ideas don't you !

In my humble opinion the 300 baht per day wage increase will only compel employers to reduce their staff causing an employment problem. But that's me.

here you go again alway having a go at the new government give them a chance we all know by now you dont like the red shirt's but try and say something new1

Well I'm glad that someone could decipher what he was saying

Defence Policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Domestic policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Economic policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Education policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Energy policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Environmental Policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Foreign policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Health policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Housing policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Information policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Macroeconomic policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Monetary policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Population policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Science policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Social policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Transport policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Urban policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Water policy: We're working on this but bringing back Thaksin is our main priority

Do you really think bringing Thaksin back is their main priority wink.gif

i know the post was possibly made in half-jest but do ye really think they care about one man's well-being above every issue facing thailand?

is it if they can't get thaksin back, to hell with thailand? ye really think they are THAT evil minded?

i know the post was possibly made in half-jest but do ye really think they care about one man's well-being above every issue facing thailand?

is it if they can't get thaksin back, to hell with thailand? ye really think they are THAT evil minded?

I would not say evil minded just incredibly focused.

totally greedy and hero worshipers Can i say Stalin Hitler Poll pot mugabwie all like Taksin ok get it

here you go again alway having a go at the new government give them a chance we all know by now you dont like the red shirt's but try and say something new1

Well I'm glad that someone could decipher what he was saying

No Kidding, What happen to spell checkwhistling.gif

LOL-EXCELLENT!

The thing is will those who voted for it realise that's why they don't seem any better off.

totally greedy and hero worshipers Can i say Stalin Hitler Poll pot mugabwie all like Taksin ok get it

Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot exterminated whole classes or groups of people. They slaughtered without mercy millions. Letitbe, with your stupid comparisons you not only open yourself up to ridicule, but also totally undermine any valid points you may have or may in the future make. Think hard about what those three evil bastards did. If you still feel that the comparison stands, then you are deluded. If you realise, as(I presume) an educated and cultured man, that it is rubbish, then please withdraw it.

you talk some rot don't you , but i do understand full well as you are always printing the same when you are on that you dont like the Reds, to you if the do bad it will be see i told you so , and if they do well it's what is going on in the world..................you have so many bright ideas don't you !

<deleted>???