Rubber Trees

tonika

My wife is obsessed about buying a Rubber Tree plantation in Issan. Seems there is one that's going cheap. Apparently there is a sale of approx. 20 rai of mature trees ,ready to tap, for a bargain price of B 1,000,000. . She insists that there is a regular income to be made from them. And, that if we don't buy immediately, we will lose out. As I know next to nothing about Rubber Trees I'm rather sceptical. Would appreciate anyone who can give me any help or advice on this matter..

It is too cheap. I smell a rat. What is it with Thai women in that they know nothing about farming but pressurise their farang husbands into buying land and becoming farmers ? You have to be born into that profession, in my opinion.

One reason why Thai ladies like to buy farm land, gold, big cars etc is for show/prestige. Having 40 million Baht in the bank doesn't show off wealth to the neighbours. Having 50 Rai of land. 6 Baht gold and a big house with a Fortuner on the drive does.

Also, if your money is in your home country then in the event of your death it would make it difficult, if not impossible for them to get at it. Therefore ......................................................................Please don't say I'm wrong as I see it on a regular basis. The scams some women get up to is beyond me.

A woman living near me, married to a farang (I hate the word) gets him to buy 6 Rai for 200,000 Baht each. Way over the real value and not enough land to get a good annual return on. My missus asked about this and her reply was as I explained above about getting all the money over to Thailand. Also she explained that the land was really to ensure her 2 Thai children had somewhere to build a house on in later life,.

I'm sorry if I've gone slightly off topic.

Edited by sinbin

well since you are way up north there maybe send our "Jim" ( JamesCollister) a pm..seems not exactly a wonderful price but no idea what tappable rubber trees and land goes for these days. Better get a local experienced farmer ( good luck) to check it out for quality of trees, land soil etc etc..

Edited by David006

Sounds to me beeing a good prospect,depending of course on location,how old and in what condition the trees are and so on.I live in Isaan and here the price would be about two millions for a "normal" land.

I dunno....seems like a good deal if the trees are 6-7 years old and you've got a good tapper? I'm trying not to be cynical, some times the're hearts are in the right place, you could always buy it, and then get her to give you a 30 year lease (isufruct) then you can't be ripped off! Either way if the trees are not what you like then you could always put in "Glua kio" (lady finger bananas)?

Try to look on the bright side, risking a million baht might be cheap....in the long run??;)

OP some words of wisdom above . You need to know a lot more than just price, title, rain fall, clone type. If your wife's family even know anything about rubber. Have a read through the farming forum. Posted something on the subject last week. Tread carefully, 1 Mil Baht is a lot of money to throw away. Jim