Where In Laos For A Month Of Relaxation?

DharmaBumm

Where should I go in Laos to unwind from Bangkok? I have a month before I start training for ordination in Thai forest Buddhist, so spending maybe a week in three different places would be doable. I want something quiet, picturesque if possible, and not expensive-- this probably describes most of Laos though... I think my only idea so far is Don Det. Somewhere else with mountains?

Let me know your ideas...

Start in Luang Prabang, when you feel like moving catch a bus up to Nong Khiaw have a look around stay if you like it then catch a boat up to Muong Ngoi. If you've got time keep going up to Muong Khua and even up to Phongsali if you want to get really remote. All mountainous, all extremely picturesque, all very cheap, except maybe if you want to charter your own boat, and quiet, well its Laos everywheres quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to the north of Laos these days it isn't much different than Thailand. Luang Prabang is just another tourist trap. Try Don Det and then maybe the Bolaven plateau. 90% of tourists go from VTE to LP and you can see it on the locals faces,

North of Luang Prabang receives far fewer tourists than Don Det and other popular Si Phan Don islands. Muang Ngoi is similar to Don Det in some ways, though quieter. But if you go farther north to Muang Khua or Phongsali you'll see almost zero tourists. Luang Nam Tha is pretty chill, too, and although there are usually a fair number of tourists there, it's still a noticeably fewer than at Don Det.

That said, Don Det is a nice place, too.

You might also look at Sam Nua in the northeast and Attapeu in the southeast. Very chilled, few tourists.

Personally I find Phongsali one of the most interesting provinces in the country.

If you go to the north of Laos these days it isn't much different than Thailand. Luang Prabang is just another tourist trap. Try Don Det and then maybe the Bolaven plateau. 90% of tourists go from VTE to LP and you can see it on the locals faces,

North of Luang Prabang receives far fewer tourists than Don Det and other popular Si Phan Don islands. Muang Ngoi is similar to Don Det in some ways, though quieter. But if you go farther north to Muang Khua or Phongsali you'll see almost zero tourists. Luang Nam Tha is pretty chill, too, and although there are usually a fair number of tourists there, it's still a noticeably fewer than at Don Det.

That said, Don Det is a nice place, too.

You might also look at Sam Nua in the northeast and Attapeu in the southeast. Very chilled, few tourists.

Personally I find Phongsali one of the most interesting provinces in the country.

Couldnt agree with you more and with the road to Sam Nua improved it takes a lot less time to get there now.