A Tragic Tale Of Two Air Crashes

Lite Beer

SPECIAL

A tragic tale of two air crashes

By Somroutai Sapsomboon

The Nation

30161039-01.jpg

Colleagues stunned by twin tragedies; major operation to retrieve bodies

The tragedy of two helicopters crashing within three days in the same area while on a rescue mission has cast a veil of gloom over the country

The first helicopter, a Huey (UH-1H), crashed last Saturday while on a mission to rescue a team of military officers and journalists. The second helicopter, a Black Hawk (UH-60), crashed three days later during a mission to recover the five bodies killed in the first crash. The second crash resulted in nine more deaths.

On July 11, a 35- member team embarked on a mission to investigate the Ton Num Petch forest (the watershed of the Phetchburi River). This was part of a forest surveillance project at the Kaeng Krachan National Park started five months ago.

"The watershed area was located at the highest altitude there," said Chanachai Kaewphang, the journalist from Channel 7's Praden Ded, who joined the trip.

The two-kilometre distance on steep hills was preceded by a 10km trek.

During the mission, they found and investigated five unarmed forest encroachers from the Karenni tribe, who engaged in slash-and-burn agriculture within the Ton Num Petch forest. After obtaining information, the team deported the Karenni out of Thailand's territory.

"According to our plan, we were to stay in the forest for three nights and then the helicopter was to pick us up at the helipad where we had disembarked. However, because of the bad weather, the helicopter could not land," he said. So, the group had to stay there. The helicopter was only able to drop food supplies.

The next day, the helicopter successfully made three rescue trips after which 19 people remained. Three reporters from Channel 7 programme were on the first flight.

On Saturday, the helicopter continued its recovery mission but unfortunately crashed around noon.

"I was stunned when my colleague called me and said 'the helicopter that picked you up yesterday crashed!', " he said, adding that he rushed to Bangkok on the day he came back from the forest due to his duty.

Chanachai came to know later that Major Kittipoom Akekaphan, a soldier of Thap Phraya Sua Special (ad hoc) Task Force, who had accompanied and always taught him during the mission in the forest, was among the five dead.

The tragic tale does not end there.

Attempts were immediately made to recover the officers' bodies. Due to the bad weather, the military decided to dispatch one of its better helicopters, the Black Hawk (UH-60).

On Tuesday, three days after the first crash, the Black Hawk took off to retrieve the five bodies. Shockingly, it crashed and nine more people perished - eight soldiers and a reporter from Channel 5.

"The second crash was a double shock for me," said Chanachai.

Major Manas Tongkote, a soldier from the same unit as Major Kittipoom who was killed in the first crash, said these twin crashes are the worst accidents ever. There have been no helicopter crashes here before.

Manas is one of those who had joined the survey group at Ton Num Pheth and returned from the forest by the last flight on Friday before the helicopter crash the next day.

Though terribly saddened by the events, Major Manas said his unit now was busy with duties in bring back all the bodies.

"All 14 deaths came from a mission to protect the environment. I will do my best as a reporter to continue their aims," said Chanachai, the 25-year-old reporter.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-24

And didn't someone recently stumle-upon the fatal crash-site, of another military helicopter which disappeared some 10-12 years ago, in the remote jungle near to Mae Sot ? All very sad. :(

Edited by Ricardo

Or maybe he was just pointing the fact that there was no helicopter crash before in the dense forest area where they were to retrieve the dead bodies ;)

My wife has just explained to me some reporters have mentioned that due to bad weather, there are mass pressure present there, thus causing these fatal accidents.

Edited by xtr3mx7

I extend my sympathies to the families of those killed, and hope the inquiry will identify the causes and prevent further incidents.

However, I did find it interesting that a 35-man team were deployed to apprehend 5 hill-tribe people from performing a bit of slash and burn agriculture - hardly an environmental disaster in the making.

Meanwhile (in yesterday's locked topic) the investigators into the 48 or so resorts encroaching on national park near Korat are being called on to cease and desist - hey, we're making money here! Some farmers were reported to be making up to B3,000/day from the tourists - perhaps the Tax office might consider sending an investigator or two as well.

The reporter k. Chanachai claims he will continue to protect the environment. I hope to see his name on future reports from Korat.

Three killed, one injured in Bell 212 helicopter crash in paddy field in Phetchaburi's Kaeng Krachan/ MCOT

A Huey crashes on Jul 16. Black Hawk crashes Jul 19 while retrieving its victims. Now a third (a Bell) crashes retrieving it's victims/via@Journotopia

Another helicopter's just gone down?

Tragically it would come as no shock.

I have no figures, but do have the firm impression that between them, the police and army lose an average of 1 helicopter per year.

Is it poor maintenance or poor training, or a combination of both?

I'd say it's due to both, from what i have seen in more than a decade here is that as a nation they take no pride and have no shame in the work they do, in all industries....

JH

This story, or series of stories, just keeps getting sadder. My condolences to the family, friends and fellow-soldiers of the killed and injured.

I hope there is a thorough investigation into the causes of these accidents and that all possible corrective action is taken.

The removal of ethnic groups from the preserves may be a good intention, but I don't think it so urgent that such efforts need to be taken.

Again, my condolences to those affected by these tragic events.

Very sad occurrence, for all involved....

Hard to imagine this is just an unlucky coincidence of bad events... Under the circumstances, has to be some combination of poor piloting, poor equipment maintenance or poor decision by superiors making to fly in unsafe conditions... Hard to tell from the news reports whether there was anything going on weather or terrain-wise there in those days.

But it's a kind of hard to imagine what would be an unsafe flying condition for a properly maintained and piloted BlackHawk helicopter in Thailand...

Don't forget either, there was the crash back in Feb. of two Thai fighter jets (F-16s).... presumably a mid-air collision, though I don't recall if the reports ever said that... There, of course, was going to be an investigation into those crashes as well. Don't recall ever seeing any public account of its findings, though. Hardly surprising.

Another helicopter's just gone down?

Tragically it would come as no shock.

I have no figures, but do have the firm impression that between them, the police and army lose an average of 1 helicopter per year.

Is it poor maintenance or poor training, or a combination of both?

I'd say it's due to both, from what i have seen in more than a decade here is that as a nation they take no pride and have no shame in the work they do, in all industries....

JH

I have only been here 4 years, but would agree with you.

jb1

I have only been here 4 years, but would agree with you.

jb1

Boats, trains and planes... Seems Thailand has more than its fair share of problems with all of them...

Not forgetting to add, helicopters, motocy taxis, buses and even amusement park water slides and roller coasters....

It's the amusement parks that can be real killers...

Yingluck offers condolences for the loss of lives in helicopter crashes

BANGKOK, 24 July 2011 (NNT)-Pheu Thai’s Party List MP, Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra, has expressed condolences towards all of the three helicopter accidents while confirming that the cabinet will be organized once the Election Commission of Thailand has endorsed all of 475 MPs.

Ms. Yingluck has also expressed condolences towards the explosion and gun attack in Norway. Ms. Yingluck has not confirmed the media whether she would participate in the soccer charity match to help raise fund to help the family of Mr. Sornwichai Kongton, a camera man from Army TV Channel 5, as a re-election for MPs who were given a yellow card is taking place at the moment.

She also insisted that no one in her family had the authority to make a decision for her over the cabinet line-up. She later commented on the report claiming some Phue Thai MPs had traveled to Dubai to meet her brother that it was their personal decision. She believed that her Party executives would make the best and fair decision to choose members of the cabinet.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-07-24 footer_n.gif

I have just added helicopters to the list of vehicles in which I will avoid travelling in this country - joining Tuk-tuks, jet-skis, mini-vans, speed boat ferries (I'd rather swim to Koh Pha-Ngan if I could find a reason to go there), and those long, narrow passenger ferries.

Does getting old make you more cautious, or just smarter?