Internet Availability In Nakhu

kirkieb

Have recently experienced the internet in my wifes village outside Nakhu and have to say I will die without a good service provider if I relocate there like we are planning. Is there any system, or service provider others are using in the area that gives a reasonable service of internet or anything on the drawing boards for future internet. Cant seem to find too much info on this and maybe the need isnt great but surely with all of us farangs marrying the gorgeous women and relocating there how can we stay in touch?

Where is Nakhu?Can you get a land -line? Do you have good mobile phone reception?Noland-line- you have 2 options. If you have a mobile phone tower near you equipped to carry CAT CDMA, then you can buy internet access from them. A visit to A CAT office, sign up . pay about B8,500 for the dongle to insert into a USB port ,and agree to a monthly fee of B 850 and you are in business. If you are within about 5 kilometres of the tower ,generally no need to install an antennae.Further away ,,and you will need one. This is the system ,I am using right now. Your other alternative is satellite IPstar,sold by Loxley, in Bangkok. This requires you to lay a concrete block to site the satellite dish on. The technician ,will tell you where to site it, Pay B5,000 approx.,for the dish and for it to be set up.Sign a 12 month contract + B1,600 per month and you have internet. Both are unlimited.I feel CDMA is a bit better than IPstar

Edited by afarang

Where is Nakhu?Can you get a land -line? Do you have good mobile phone reception?Noland-line- you have 2 options. If you have a mobile phone tower near you equipped to carry CAT CDMA, then you can buy internet access from them. A visit to A CAT office, sign up . pay about B8,500 for the dongle to insert into a USB port ,and agree to a monthly fee of B 850 and you are in business. If you are within about 5 kilometres of the tower ,generally no need to install an antennae.Further away ,,and you will need one. This is the system ,I am using right now. Your other alternative is satellite IPstar,sold by Loxley, in Bangkok. This requires you to lay a concrete block to site the satellite dish on. The technician ,will tell you where to site it, Pay B5,000 approx.,for the dish and for it to be set up.Sign a 12 month contract + B1,600 per month and you have internet. Both are unlimited.I feel CDMA is a bit better than IPstar

Hey thanks for that. Na Khu is about 70 ks north east from kalasin. The mobile reception is ordinary at best with the usb modem barely working. The dongle you speak of is it just a antennae booster for the mobile network or is it specific to the A CAT. There are no land lines in this particular village outside Na Khu but the locals have been advised they can get if enough get but after this many years they all seem complacent with their limited contact with the outside world.

You are like us .Land line will not happen ,too many mobiles and TOT is too incompetent .No, this particular "dongle" is ONLY sold by CAT and is your "connector" to the internet.. A visit to your nearest Cat office will help you find out if CDMA will work in your area. It is something that is "added" on to a mobile phone tower. It is not using the mobile phone system ,as such. So,first ,go and talk to CAT. SeeIf it will work in your area ,If not, then You will need satellite -IPstar. It will definitely give you internet ,not quite as good as CDMA., but I used it for 3 years, and was o.k with it. Finally ,you can be up to about 15 kilometres from Your CDMA equipped tower and it will work.

CAT CDMA has come down in price considerably (the dongle is 2,400 baht and unlimited service is 590 per month) however it seems to have slowed down some since the service was launched... it's certainly usable in a pinch (ie. car/hotel)... but I wouldn't suggest it's suitable for home/work use unless all you do is light surfing... don't expect to stream video in good quality or download many large files. ADSL is your best bet if you can get it.

CAT CDMA has come down in price considerably (the dongle is 2,400 baht and unlimited service is 590 per month) however it seems to have slowed down some since the service was launched... it's certainly usable in a pinch (ie. car/hotel)... but I wouldn't suggest it's suitable for home/work use unless all you do is light surfing... don't expect to stream video in good quality or download many large files. ADSL is your best bet if you can get it.

ADSL. we have been through that . Zero possibility of getting a land line.Yes , my CDMA was one of the first. and it is more "powerful" ,faster, larger than the current model. So, maybe he needs to investigate satellite. But I would still try and see if CDMA works in his area.

I use CAT CDMA in a small town outside of Kuchinarai and it works pretty good, it's not lighting fast, but is adequate for surfing and sending e-mails and will download files. I am also quite away from the closest tower, I think about 20 kms. In the near future or even now I think there are other options, such as 3g on True Moves, CAT or AIS.

I use CAT CDMA in a small town outside of Kuchinarai and it works pretty good, it's not lighting fast, but is adequate for surfing and sending e-mails and will download files. I am also quite away from the closest tower, I think about 20 kms. In the near future or even now I think there are other options, such as 3g on True Moves, CAT or AIS.

Are you using an antenna? Where is your nearest CAT office? Any thing to do with internet by mobile phone is totally useless- so very slow. Some people who come here for a month or so , use it solely for email. Anyone who lives here permanently , in Amphur Ban Ktuat ,C. Buriram, if they have access to CAT CDMA, use only CDMA. If they don't have access ,they use satellite.Funnily enough ,because of the cost differential ( Phone is very cheap),we all tried the phone option. Until epic frustration manifested itself.Then it was off to CAT.

Some things we just cant do without. There will be no holding me back if I get a reasonable internet service. At the moment Im back in Brissie so its not stressing me but would like to organise next trip back in September and thought this forum is the best source of info I can find.

Will be visiting CAT as soon as I can. Sounds like its the only way to go for now.

Thanks again for your info.

Brad