Phuket Pirates Plea For Sympathy, Assert Right To Sell Illegal Goods

Lite Beer

Phuket pirates plea for sympathy, assert right to sell illegal goods

phuket-1-10719klIsRFUKYUeedfoprRLspVaptn.jpg

Vice Governor Weerawat Janpen reads a letter given to him by protesters. Photo: Pimwara Choksakulpan

phuket-4-10719AjgTJWqpFUySjHdQimUMCbbfow.jpg

About 60 pirates took part in the protest. Photo: Pimwara Choksakulpan

PHUKET: A group of pirates from Kata and Karon staged a protest in Phuket Town on Wednesday to fight rising opposition to the sale of illegal wares

The protest leaders first arrived at Phuket Police Station, where their letter of complaint was received on behalf of Phuket Police Commander Pekad Tantipong.

The crowd of about 60 vendors then moved on to Provincial Hall, where Vice Governor Weerawat Janpen received a letter on behalf of Governor Tri Augkaradacha.

“We are asking for justice as the police have been raiding our stores and seizing our illegal goods every day now for more than a month. We are in financial trouble and some of us need to borrow money,” said one protest leader, who asked not to be named.

“Why do the police raid only the shops in Kata and Karon but not those in other areas, such as Patong and Kamala? We feel we are being targeted,” he said.

“We have been running our [illegal] shops for 20 years now,” he added.

However, the protesters explained that before the raids began, warning letters were handed to each operator.

The warning letters said that the Royal Thai Police and the Intellectual Property Department have a joint-policy to suppress the sale of pirated products, which they said was damaging the country’s economy and reputation, he explained.

The letters were marked as issued by Phuket Police Commander Pekad, he added.

“They want us to sell only local products and OTOP [One Tambon/One Product] items which other shops are already selling. The police said that it is possible to earn a living by doing that.

“But we have already invested in our businesses so action like this is causing big problems for us – now most of our shops are closed. That’s about 1,000 shops in Kata-Karon going out of business,” he said.

One shop selling pirated goods makes about 5,000 baht a day, he explained, adding that this means 1,000 shops are making about five million baht for Kata and Karon.

“But the warning letters said we are destroying the country’s economy,” he argued.

The protest leader also complained about the cost of constantly posting bail for those arrested, including migrant workers illegally selling goods in the shops by not performing the type of work prescribed in their work permits.

“We have to pay 20,000 to 30,000 baht to post bail for each person arrested, while our products – which we bought from Pratunam, Sampeng and Pahurat in Bangkok – are being seized every day,” he said.

“We want to know why the police are being so unfair, and whether there is something else behind this. We would like the Phuket Commander to leave Phuket,” said one of the protest leaders.

The police said they would pass the protesters' letter on to Maj Gen Pekad, who was not in Phuket on the day.

V/Gov Weerawat said a committee would be tasked with finding a practical solution to the problem.

“Actually, this problem started with Karon Subdistrict Chief [Kamnan] Winai Chitchiew collecting money from us and then not being fair to shop operators, so we stopped paying him,” said one shop operator.

“Then he [Winai] complained to every related organization and instigated the raids on our shops. This might be why the commander [Maj Gen Pekad] is doing this.

“The commander could choose to compromise instead of just using the law to force people to change. If he wants to enforce the law, he has to do so across the whole island – not just in select locations,” he said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-07-24

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A truly heartbreaking story. I was moved to tears then realised I had to check my download speeds on The Pirate Bay for my movies.:rolleyes:

Yet again we see the Royal Thai Police have their priorities. No problems with jet boat scams, tuk-tuk scams etc etc. T.I.T.

“Actually, this problem started with Karon Subdistrict Chief [Kamnan] Winai Chitchiew collecting money from us and then not being fair to shop operators, so we stopped paying him,” said one shop operator.

“Then he [Winai] complained to every related organization and instigated the raids on our shops. This might be why the commander [Maj Gen Pekad] is doing this.

Really, you think.

I kind of see both sides here. The only profits turned by the motion picture industry is from DVD/On Demand etc. However, I have always thought it was a bit harsh to enforce copyright laws such as these in developing and 3rd world countries which amount to an insignificant portion of profits anyway. Hollywood and the record industry should write it off as charity and double their efforts at shutting torrent sites if they want to put a dent in piracy.

It's okay to sell illegal foreign goods as it foreign companies who suffer. (but they are rich and powerful and Thai people are poor, meek and humble so that makes it acceptable, right? ) But. OMG see the seething anger and resentment when foreigners try to copy and make a profit from Thai stuff. I remember the fury when US companies tried to create their own version of Hom Mali Rice.

Word of advice to these criminals - Sell something legal.

Then this will teach you from now on to pay your protection money to the mafia police whether you think it is fair or not. You should be thankful all they are doing is closing your shops rather than breaking your kneecaps.

I kind of see both sides here. The only profits turned by the motion picture industry is from DVD/On Demand etc. However, I have always thought it was a bit harsh to enforce copyright laws such as these in developing and 3rd world countries which amount to an insignificant portion of profits anyway. Hollywood and the record industry should write it off as charity and double their efforts at shutting torrent sites if they want to put a dent in piracy.

What about the clothing and textile industry, perfumes, and watches? The simple truth is that pirated goods are produced by and support usually large scale criminal organizations, which have their fingers in many pies (human trafficking, extortion, racketeering and drugs) If you buy pirated goods you support those gangs. Not the shop owner.

Why you arrest me

I have been robbing condos for 20 years now

I have all me saving invested in break and enter equiptment

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the law."

I must admit when I first read this, it was with complete disbelief, then I just had to laugh at the audacity of the Pirates, "how dare you the Police disrupt my illegal business!". 10/10 for cheek, 0/10 for common sense. Could only happen in a developing Country - TIT. I love it.:blink:

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Typical Thai mentality ......DUMB :boring:

Why Yes, ........thank you so much for your (letter of confession) "I have been breaking the law for the last 20 years", and paying to do so, (second offense)

Reminds me of the old t.v. show "Dumbest Criminals".................

Edited by BigSkip

“We want to know why the police are being so unfair, and whether there is something else behind this. We would like the Phuket Commander to leave Phuket,” said one of the protest leaders.

It's called LAW. Something you have been breaking for 20+ years. Odd concept here going to jail for breaking the law, I know. The thing behind it is called international law and international pressure.

For whatever reason the cops are doing their job here, I say good that they are doing it. Now if we could just get them to do this everywhere else...

Am I reading this correctly? Are these folks protesting because they have been breaking the law for 20 years and want to know why, only now, they are being persecuted? Would they feel better if they were charged for their crimes with penalties for the past 20 years? I guess I get confused in the Thai mentality of things. I've only been here 19 years so I still have a lot to learn.

Its illegal to sell copy protected materials. The pirates have been getting away with it by paying off the police. then they made a mistake by refusing to pay off the police, and now the police are using this opportunity to put these guys out of business and also make sure that the others who might be thinking about refusing to payoff the police will know whats in their futures also. Keep paying bribes or suffer!

"We have been running our [illegal] shops for 20 years now," he added.

:)

“We want to know why the police are being so unfair, and whether there is something else behind this. We would like the Phuket Commander to leave Phuket,”

I would like that they deport my mother in law to Africa.....................:jap:

It reflects a genuine problem in Thailand. Thais have been so used to breaking the law and getting away with it for decades that now, when police and Forestry Department officials actually do their job and enforce the law, people genuinely feel that they have a justified grievance. Then they look for a compromise, which means paying a bribe to carry on breaking the law for another 20 years or so.

But don't worry! Corruption isn't going anywhere with Thaksin's new government.

At first I had to laugh at it. At one point they tried to justify it with all the money they are bringing in to the community. They forgot to mention that most of it went in their pocket.

But all that aside it is there way and not likely to change in the foreseeable future.

The really funny part is one of the posters on this thread was complaining a while back that he was having trouble with his unlicensed red bull shirts.

Not only the Thai way of life but quietly being used by farongs to fill there pockets.

Amazing Thailand they come from all over the world to participate in a society they look down on.

TIT :jap:

There are funny elements. But this is real people. They are used to things being allowed by authorities. That is a reality, and people adapt to this, with their economy and obligations. Prostitution has been outlawed in Thailand since 1960. What if the police sent out a warning letter, and subsequently arrested all the girls and closed all bars in Karon and Kata, while nothing was done in Patong? Would we hear "Haha, they have been doing something illegal for as long as you have been working? And now you object to the law being enforced? TIT!" ? If "No", could it be because our respect for the law and sympathy for sudden and random law-enforcement is different if applied to pretty girls and those dependent on their support - vs. towards ugly men and ditto? If they need money, can't they just send their daughters to work in the bars? Sudden law enforcement targeting selected groups have nothing to do with justice or proper management of a society, and objections are completely valid.

Indeed, if you consider that in USA you can sign up for unlimited streaming of movies through companies like Netflix for $8 usd/month the prices they expect people in Thailand to pay for movies seem more than a little unfair.