400k In The Bank Or 40k A Month

To continue to get 1 year marriage visa i understand that you have to have either 400k in the bank or atleast 40k per month.

Does this have to be 400k cash every year? I mean i want to buy a condo, could i just say i have 400k equity in the condo? I mean having 400k cash sitting around doesnt seem like the best way to invest your $$.

Or 40k per month income, how far do they research into this? Can you bring in your bank statement with 40k+ of deposits per month? Or do you have to bring in tax returns and what not? And if the money is foreign income does that mean you would have to bring in foreign tax returns?

How many questions do they ask about where the money came from?

400k in the bank mean exactly what it says. And it has to be confirmed by the bank and show a trail from overseas (unless you work here with a work permit). The income provision is primarily for those with local employment. If you are over age 50 there would probably not be much of a problem if you have income from overseas confirmed by your Embassy but if under there may be closer check to insure you are not illegally employed here. In all cases no set answer fits as usually they are not out to get you (even though they are police). Normally if the appearance of supporting your wife and a normal account use is met questions will be few.

Correct me if I'm wrong, which I often am. :o

But if the money in a Thai bank is set at 400,000, doesn't the pension income have to amount to the same 400,000 per year? Thus, wouldn't it be more like 33,333 baht per month? And can't you combine the savings with the pension? For example, 150,000 in a Thai bank, and 250,000 in annual pension income?

The amount it set at 40k per month. As said this is designed for local employment rather than pension income (support Thai wife rather than retirement). You do not need any set income if you maintain 400k in the bank account. As to how a combo would work believe that would be up to immigration as I do not recall anyone outlining specifics using this method for other than retirement (but I may have just missed it).

400k in the bank mean exactly what it says.  And it has to be confirmed by the bank and show a trail from overseas

About my situation is not the same. That means, nobody never asked me to confinrm and/or to prove that my 400k comes from abroad .

(unless you work here with a work permit). The income provision is primarily for those with local employment. If you are over age 50 there would probably not be much of a problem if you have income from overseas confirmed by your Embassy but if under there may be closer check to insure you are not illegally employed here. In all cases no set answer fits as usually they are not out to get you (even though they are police). Normally if the appearance of supporting your wife and a normal account use is met questions will be few.