Jetski Scam On Channel 3 News.

PoorSucker

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police assist Jet Ski gangs in extortion of tourists visiting Thailand.

"A holidaying Australian couple have told how they were abused and intimidated by Phuket jet-ski operators who sought to rip off the tourists in an extortion scam.

At a Phuket police station, where an officer was supposed to act as the independent mediator in the dispute, the officer handed a passport to the jet-ski operators, one of the Australians said."

Local authorities look for answers following Pattaya Jet Ski Scam exposé on national TV
:lol: :lol:

Headline should have read, Local authorities ticked off that they once again need to go through the motions of having meetings about this revenue stream.

That would have been closer to reality.

TheWalkingMan

QUIZ:

The Pattaya Mayor has a facebook page and many expat are mentioning the jet ski scam.

What does he do?

1. Investigate and stop the criminal activity.

2. Ignore the reports and delete the facebook comments.

3. Ban people from his page that mention the scams.

4. Have a city hall associate spam his site and bury the complaints.

if they can get away with this, the police assisting, with foreigners at the mercy of the maffia/thugs/police, then why stop at the jet ski scam? at what point do they just stop random people in the street, claim they assaulted/molested someobody, stole something, or wake people up in their hotel room and make some story up and demand any amount of money they like? this jet ski scam amounts to a kind of kidnap with ransom demanded from the kidnapped themselves.

if the authorities dont take hold of this and show there is some kind of rule of law in Thailand then it wont stop and we will soon see much worse. it is already too dangerous to rent jet ski's, motorbikes, cars, dangerous to venture into King Power at the airport...so what is next and are there other scams we don't generally know about yet?

any worse of course and it may become a no go country.

I doubt the police are in on it. After all, this town depends on tourism.

Surely, the police would look after the tourists well being and never side with the criminals.

Did you actually listen to the report? The report said the police are in on it.

And no, the mayor isn't going to do anything. He's been blowing smoke for over 1 year now and has taken zero action.

At least now all the Thais will know what is happening. That means even less people will be renting the jet skis.

I'm quite sure someone has made the naive mistake of taking sarcasm a little too seriously....

Tourist reports on jet ski extortion plot:

"This scam is rabid on Pattaya beach i have now noticed it is the length of the whole beach , it looks like the indians are targeted the most but I think that is because they are renting more jet skis than others. The Scammers have an indian man in a Turban helping them he is going the whole length on his motorbike when problems occur. I think the indian people are under the impression he is helping them.

There is also another guy doing the same for Russians.

Last week some Iranians were scammed and one was put in a head lock and his head pushed into the jet ski.

No one is getting let off from this scam the other day I noticed about 15 people in several groups being scammed in the last hour people were still arguing well into the night. this goes on every night some where along the beach , hot spots are in front of Mikes ,Royal Garden and the last rental spot close to walking st.

"There are at least 60 to 100 people being scammed weekly along Pattaya beach and losing thousands or up 1 million baht a week would not be an underestimate.

I witnessed one young Indian guy who was so upset and kept saying I have no money I have no money , don't know what happened in the end/

I also saw a young european couple get scammed looked like they were on a honeymoon.

The scammers will sweet talk people and drop the price just to get them on the jest ski's to be scammed.

They love renting to groups because they will get more scams in one hit .

They do not care how big and strong you are or how many.

Every night some where a long the beach there are arguments going on , No one is safe to rent Jet skis on pattaya beach."

I could have written that myself. It is an almost perfect description of what goes on, on a daily basis.

the only days it does not happen is when the rain is belting down all day and there is nobody on the beach

if they can get away with this, the police assisting, with foreigners at the mercy of the maffia/thugs/police, then why stop at the jet ski scam? at what point do they just stop random people in the street, claim they assaulted/molested someobody, stole something, or wake people up in their hotel room and make some story up and demand any amount of money they like? this jet ski scam amounts to a kind of kidnap with ransom demanded from the kidnapped themselves.

if the authorities dont take hold of this and show there is some kind of rule of law in Thailand then it wont stop and we will soon see much worse. it is already too dangerous to rent jet ski's, motorbikes, cars, dangerous to venture into King Power at the airport...so what is next and are there other scams we don't generally know about yet?

any worse of course and it may become a no go country.

Somebody should let 60 minutes know about this. it is an interesting story. Maybe they will run an undercover operation that will expose these "human rats." There are also Thai government agencies that are supposed to be concerned about this sort of stuff.

My reason for reading this thread is a reaffirmation of my belief in the Thai way. I realise nothing will ever change about the Jet Ski business in Pattaya or Phuket. I wish there was a central location for all the threads on the issue so I wouldn't have to search different locations.

See, if something were to change I would have to alter my belief and lifestyle system so it is important for me to know.

I see it as a test of Thai morals and willpower. If something were to change it would be like the sky falling and chicken little was right so a very important event.

It is a big deal, I would sell all my Baht and get back into dollars.

Edited by kerryk

Well, it looks like the Mayor in Pattaya is getting serious about the daily extortion of tourists on the beach.

He is forming a "Marine Tourism Supervision Committee"

Any day now, these thugs that have been robbing/attacking tourists should be jailed and off the beach.

Edited by pauljones

Well, it looks like the Mayor in Pattaya is getting serious about the daily extortion of tourists on the beach.

Any day now, these thugs that have been robbing/attacking tourists should be jailed and off the beach.

If the mayor is forming a committee then action must be taking place! laugh.gif

If the mayor is forming a committee then action must be taking place! laugh.gif

Yes, so glad I'm not a jet-ski scammer, those committees scare the cr*p out of me!! Next thing you know they'll be sending stiff warning letters!

In one of the videos they mention scams may be deliberate or pre arranged accident , this concurs with something I saw a few months ago where a guy and his wife rented a jet ski and was out on the water and after about ten minutes they were hit by another jet ski which happened to be a staff of a jet ski owner.

The scammers will go to any length to make you responsible for their dishonesty including accidents , leaking jet skis that will sink or fuel problems.

Thanks for the laugh.

2009 and 2010 videos. I agree... anytime now... anytime. :lol:

I think those meetings were just for everyone to decide how to text it to the next level. :whistling:

Saw 5 jet ski scams yesterday afternoon. 4 happening simutainsly in front of Royal Garden.

The scammers are photographing the tourists on the ski before the ride. While the tourist is out on the water, the pictures are photoshopped by a lady on the beach with a computer. The customers are then shown a photo with the damage deleted and threatened and intimidated to paying...all with the police assisting them. Of course they are surrounded by a bunch of tattooed punks making threatening gestures.

Saw 5 jet ski scams yesterday afternoon. 4 happening simutainsly in front of Royal Garden.

The scammers are photographing the tourists on the ski before the ride. While the tourist is out on the water, the pictures are photoshopped by a lady on the beach with a computer. The customers are then shown a photo with the damage deleted and threatened and intimidated to paying...all with the police assisting them. Of course they are surrounded by a bunch of tattooed punks making threatening gestures.

I wish we had a TV member with influence who knows people with even bigger influence who can contact 60 Minutes about doing an undercover sting operation that will expose the scam to viewers worldwide. Maybe that will get their attention.

I wish we had a TV member with influence who knows people with even bigger influence who can contact 60 Minutes about doing an undercover sting operation that will expose the scam to viewers worldwide. Maybe that will get their attention.

One thing wrong with getting "an outsider" organisation involved (meaning non Thai) all that would happen is similar to what happened when the recent (last year?) TV docu was filmed by a non Thai organisation?

Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand i think it was called. The film crew that were still in Thailand (Thais) were thrown in jail, and all manner of threats of embargos were made, stating nothing more than that it showed Thailand in a bad light. NOT that most of it was true and needed looking into by the Thai authorities, but that "the big, bad farang film makers" were making nuisance

Penkoprod

Edited by Penkoprod

One thing wrong with getting "an outsider" organisation involved (meaning non Thai) all that would happen is similar to what happened when the recent (last year?) TV docu was filmed by a non Thai organisation?

Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand i think it was called. The film crew that were still in Thailand (Thais) were thrown in jail, and all manner of threats of embargos were made, stating nothing more than that it showed Thailand in a bad light. NOT that most of it was true and needed looking into by the Thai authorities, but that "the big, bad farang film makers" were making nuisance

Penkoprod

Two responses, first to Poanoi: I thought of that too way back when, but they could just accuse you of tampering with the photo, same as you could accuse them of tampering with the photo. Second, if they actually put the 60 Minutes crew in jail that would be the STORY OF ALL STORIES! It would never happen because that would be an enormous negative for Thailand. And if it did, it would be the worst mistake they could make. If we all took the time, right now, to contact 60 Minutes about this, you never know what the response might be. The real challenge is that member s of the police are "in on it." So, they would have to do meet that challenge (I am not saying how to do that or suggesting it). :) It would not be that hard to film it from across the street from one of the tall buildings.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Well i was thinking both that authorities can document existing damages,

and that as a private person i can intimidate back with taking photos of the suspects,

as well as bringing the photos to court, since the photos will have time and date when they were taken. i.e before and after i had a ride.

Well i was thinking both that authorities can document existing damages,

and that as a private person i can intimidate back with taking photos of the suspects,

as well as bringing the photos to court, since the photos will have time and date when they were taken. i.e before and after i had a ride.

Sorry, I should have said "good idea" and "people should do it" but it may not work. Still, it is a good idea. And on that other issue: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/feedback/fb_news_form.shtml?tag=ftr Here you can send a message to 60 Minutes (be sure and check 60 Minutes). I really believe if enough people do this RIGHT NOW something good might come of it.

He never stops drinking that guy , they all have plenty of money some of the vehicles they drive are almost new , there is probably more than 100 people on the beach involved in this scam and most of them drink whisky all day .

Living the life, eh? :lol:

The part that gives me twisted satisfaction is, the owners of the skis and the gang leaders are the ones making all the money but the dirt bags who do all the work will still be living in sub-human conditions and have nothing when this scam is all over. That is the universe's way of dealing with dirt bags.

I see your point, but dirtbag A, the big bosses, are still coming away with big bucks even if it's at the expense of dirtbag B, the rip-off technicians.

It simply baffles the mind that the government sits by and lets things like this happen. I would think that face for the country would override a handful of crooks making a lot of money.

I saw a guy try to take one of the scammers photos while he was being scammed, and they knocked the camera out of his hand and it broke into a few pieces on the sidewalk. Policeman was standing right there and did nothing. Told the falang to "call his embassy" if he had a problem with it.

You have to pay them if you don't break their jet ski. But they don't have to so much as say "sorry" if they smash your camera.