Jetski Scam On Channel 3 News.

PoorSucker

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these were carjackings in broad daylight in front of hundreds of people what would the BiB do?

There is your question of the day?

The real question of the day is, if you really cared why don't you post a question about somewhere where it may do some good like, "Live Videocast Direct From Pattaya City Hall: Seminar On Rights Of Foreigners In Thailand" instead of just carping about it in a forum where it will never make any difference?

Foriegners trying to take on the mafia re. illegal activities in Pattaya - come on, don't make me laugh :lol: They'll be trying to stop prostitution next. :lol:

You are probably correct but how do you expect to change anything if you don't try? There is a venue for change and publicity and you are ignoring it. Sad really. Why even comment? Thai Visa goes through the effort to provide a forum to do something and all you can do is ridicule good men trying to make a difference.

The intelligent outsmart the the dumb the world over.

The dumb foreign marks are probably used to coming out on the losing end of life.

The main reason people are getting ripped off is because it is not expected. Why? Because it is not that common elsewhere. Intelligent tourists travel to Cancun in Mexico or the Bahamas, for example, and do not anticipate getting ripped off in a similar scam because it is not common practice. In Thailand, it is not only common practice to rip off tourists, it is condoned by officials who are supposed to protect tourists from such illegal activity.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Why don't any of you people post questions in "Live Videocast Direct From Pattaya City Hall: Seminar On Rights Of Foreigners In Thailand"

So they can make more excuses and say they are working on it? All they have done for the past few years is bought time and tried to save face. That's it. The new regulations they JUST put into place, changed nothing at all except there are not MORE police involved trying to get cashed out. The media created a feeding frenzy it seems. Like raw meat tossed into a shark tank.

The person in control of it all supersedes city hall. That is now a well known fact.

Otherwise, it is a great concept and I'm sure for many issues it is productive.

^ Smart Thais.

Not so smart foreigners.

And that is one of the major problems with many Thais. They think ripping off foreigners is "smart." It is actually dumb behavior because in the long run it ruins the tourism industry. It also makes foreigners less inclined to marry Thais and less inclined to invest $$$$$$ in Thailand, among other things. There are examples of the end game under this corrupt development plan: Zimbabwe is one example. Any Third World backward country that wishes to attain developed world status has to introduce and respect the rule of law. That results in a different end game: Singapore is one example. Question: How many minutes in one hour?

Foriegners trying to take on the mafia re. illegal activities in Pattaya - come on, don't make me laugh :lol: They'll be trying to stop prostitution next. :lol:

You are probably correct but how do you expect to change anything if you don't try? There is a venue for change and publicity and you are ignoring it. Sad really. Why even comment? Thai Visa goes through the effort to provide a forum to do something and all you can do is ridicule good men trying to make a difference.

mmm. Do you really think a few foreign pensioners can clean up Pattaya. If you do, you must be straight off the boat.

Why do people really care? There's a lot worse crimes going on there.

You want to stop one illegal activity whilst supporting another???????

^ Smart Thais.

Not so smart foreigners.

And that is one of the major problems with many Thais. They think ripping off foreigners is "smart." It is actually dumb behavior because in the long run it ruins the tourism industry. It also makes foreigners less inclined to marry Thais and less inclined to invest $$$$$$ in Thailand, among other things. There are examples of the end game under this corrupt development plan: Zimbabwe is one example. Any Third World backward country that wishes to attain developed world status has to introduce and respect the rule of law. That results in a different end game: Singapore is one example. Question: How many minutes in one hour?

Imagine going through life not being trusted, being thought off as a thief and a liar. In my work, among my friends and family and everyone I meet I am proud of being seen as an honest, reliable and gentle person. I would hate to think anyone thought of me as a thief, a cheat, a liar, a thug or cruel person. I would be deeply ashamed and have to think about how to change myself for the better. And I truly look down on people I view as thieves, cheats, liars or thugs. And yet so many people I see over "here" appear to me to be exactly like that. Not all, I suppose, but many, it seems to me.

How low they have sunk to be viewed like that.

^ Smart Thais.

Not so smart foreigners.

Imagine going through life not being trusted, being thought off as a thief and a liar. In my work, among my friends and family and everyone I meet I am proud of being seen as an honest, reliable and gentle person. I would hate to think anyone thought of me as a thief, a cheat, a liar, a thug or cruel person. I would be deeply ashamed and have to think about how to change myself for the better. And I truly look down on people I view as thieves, cheats, liars or thugs. And yet so many people I see over "here" appear to me to be exactly like that. Not all, I suppose, but many, it seems to me.

How low they have sunk to be viewed like that.

The Thais don't care what falang think about them. That is why NOTHING is ever an issue until their own people find out about it, like City Hall jumping into multiple meetings once Channel 3 news exposed Pattaya and this scam. Prior to that, regardless of all the international attention and bad press, they didn't care. It was the same with the CP videos selling on the beach. Once the Bangkok Post picked it up, they were gone in a day. Before that, no one gave a hoot.

The problem with many Thais is, they don't believe life exists or matters outside of Thailand. Nothing could be further from the truth. The world is all connected now, but many Thais can't seem to wrap their minds around that. This is one of the reasons they will always be a developing country while all their neighbors are growing, while the Thais are stuck in the mud. 3G is a prime example. North Korea has 3G (and they don't even have food). Laos has 3G. They have 3G on the top of Mount Everest. But Thailand... still too busy figuring out who is going to profit the most from it and struggling to get it up and running everywhere while they all try to get their hands in the cookie jar. They are not high up on the global corruption list for nothing. It's a shame really because this place could be so much more. I hope someday it can.

^ Smart Thais.

Not so smart foreigners.

And those making big bucks off it care about that?

And nothing will kill off the tourism industry in Thailand. ;) So they have nothing to worry about.

If certain members continue to post off topic slurs in the face of my public warning HERE and nothing new or constructive about the jet ski scams this thread will be closed.

You have been duly warned, take note!

mmm. Do you really think a few foreign pensioners can clean up Pattaya. If you do, you must be straight off the boat.

Me? I don't care. I said for the people who have been posting about how bad the scammers are that they take advantage of a venue made possible by Thai Visa and ask the Judges panel about it, in addition to posting rants on a thread that no one of importance outside of you and me will read.

Kerryk the judges are likely to answer queries about court and legal matters. The beach problems are always sorted one way or another on the beach. Plus the jet ski posters on here are mostly resigned to it being impossible to stamp out and all we can do is try and warn people of the problem.

Kerryk the judges are likely to answer queries about court and legal matters. The beach problems are always sorted one way or another on the beach. Plus the jet ski posters on here are mostly resigned to it being impossible to stamp out and all we can do is try and warn people of the problem.

My internet connection would not connect with the meeting so I don't know. I asked a question was it illegal to take a photo of an illegal action like extortion of tourists renting a jet ski, since the forum was about criminal activity. I asked but I don't know if any of the questions posted on the question thread actually got asked.

Pattaya Jet Ski Scam86

By Peter Dickinson

Good Blog on the Scam

The Scam gets Sophisticated

The real tragedy of this scam is that everyone who lives in Pattaya knows that it goes on and yet nobody does anything about it. There is big money being made by a small number of corrupt and very dangerous people. It is unsafe to make too much of a fuss about it.

Every year without fail the newspapers will cover the story. Letters will be written, Questions will be asked and then all will be forgotten once again.

It was recently reported that the scam has taken on a greater degree of sophistication. The Jet Ski operator will take a sneaky photo of his clients next to the Jet Ski just before they set out. The Jet Ski will have clear damage. Assuming his clients have not noticed he is very pleased when they set out. Before they are ten minutes into their enjoyment the photo will have been doctored to remove the damage. When they return he has photographic evidence to prove the damage his customers have done. It wasn't there when they set out. Who is going to argue. A photograph never lies. Does it?

http://peterdickinson.hubpages.com/hub/Pattaya-Jet-Ski-Scam

Pattaya Jet Ski Scam86

By Peter Dickinson

Good Blog on the Scam

The Scam gets Sophisticated

The real tragedy of this scam is that everyone who lives in Pattaya knows that it goes on and yet nobody does anything about it. There is big money being made by a small number of corrupt and very dangerous people. It is unsafe to make too much of a fuss about it.

Every year without fail the newspapers will cover the story. Letters will be written, Questions will be asked and then all will be forgotten once again.

It was recently reported that the scam has taken on a greater degree of sophistication. The Jet Ski operator will take a sneaky photo of his clients next to the Jet Ski just before they set out. The Jet Ski will have clear damage. Assuming his clients have not noticed he is very pleased when they set out. Before they are ten minutes into their enjoyment the photo will have been doctored to remove the damage. When they return he has photographic evidence to prove the damage his customers have done. It wasn't there when they set out. Who is going to argue. A photograph never lies. Does it?

http://peterdickinso...ya-Jet-Ski-Scam

It is relatively easy to spot a photo-shop bodge up,not necessarily on the beach though. Lines not correctly lined up,different shading,incorrect timings. If it meant a visit to the cop shop it would be relatively easy to spot mistakes ,especially from a hurried manipulation

I personally witnessed a jet ski renter being photographed by the jet ski thug at Soi 11. As soon as the rider was out in the water, a lady with a notebook downloaded the photo and began to do something with it. About 8 jet ski punks surrounded her and watched what she was doing.

I personally witnessed a jet ski renter being photographed by the jet ski thug at Soi 11. As soon as the rider was out in the water, a lady with a notebook downloaded the photo and began to do something with it. About 8 jet ski punks surrounded her and watched what she was doing.

Same here just keep an eye on where the photographer goes I have also seen one scammer point to the camera screen and it looks like they are indicating some thing needs to be done.

an example on this thread post 430.

Edited by saintofsilence

Same here just keep an eye on where the photographer goes I have also seen one scammer point to the camera screen and it looks like they are indicating some thing needs to be done.

http://www.thaivisa....s/page__st__425 an example on this thread post 430.

Maybe we should go to the police station and tell them about this?.....................

There are certainly worse crimes in Pattaya, but not 'many'.

I'd be happy to stop that illegal activity as it gives Pattaya a bad name. Another certain illegal activity is embraced and the specific reason most go there. I don't think many go to Pattaya fantasising about being ripped off and have their wellbeing threatened by thugs.

Edited by Wallaby