Traveling With In-Laws

WHITESAND

When I travel to the UK with just my wife and daughter they tell me to use the short British National queue, but this time will be taking her mother and father. Does anyone know if we should all get in the National queue or do I send them alone to the alien queue?

Did the same with my wife, but next time travelling with the MIL, so gonna keep an eye on this.

The Immigration Officer did say that anyone who was travelling with me, so I assume that it would be okay.

In my limited experience (one time), the Thai went to the Foreign line when entering the USA and in the Thai line when entering Thailand. It would make sense that they go in the line based upon their passport's country of issue.

RickThai

every country seems different: in israel, i go thru the israeli queu hubby is supposed to go thru the foreign que but him being thai, they would automatically stick him in the third line for foreign workers (happened once) which takes hours to process; last time, he came in my line, he presented his israeli id (not citizenship) and i fussed about being split up from hubby due to language blablab, so they let him thru anyhow...

not sure if that isreai buddy buddy/homey style would work in united states officaldom or with the brits.

bina

I've not done it myself but I've seen others do it. There's no real difference in the lines, they're all staffed by the same people and are all in the same room. I think the idea of a UK/EU passport holders line is that, in theory, it should be quicker as they don't have to check on any immigration status.

Just pick the shortest line! The UKBA do have staff patrolling the lines too so you can ask them when you get there if you like, I wouldn't sweat it really, I don't think it matters. But you should all be allowed to go through together as a family.

Edited by bifftastic

every country seems different: in israel, i go thru the israeli queu hubby is supposed to go thru the foreign que but him being thai, they would automatically stick him in the third line for foreign workers (happened once) which takes hours to process; last time, he came in my line, he presented his israeli id (not citizenship) and i fussed about being split up from hubby due to language blablab, so they let him thru anyhow...

not sure if that isreai buddy buddy/homey style would work in united states officaldom or with the brits.

bina

Hebrew is a great sounding language to kick up a fuss in!

Last two trips to the uk with my wife and daughters.

2004 - Only my wife had a Thai passport, my daughter is disabled and holds a British passport, we were told to get in the non EU passport holders que.

2009 - Same thing but with our other daughter, also entering on British passport and my wife with Thai passport.

Pile of sh*te!

I went to the UK with my son, wife and mother-in-law. We all went through the UK line together; wife and MIL hold only Thai passports.

Please do the same upon the return to Thailand.

And let us know the result.

;);)

My family always go through the Thai line together and all approach the counter at the same time when returning here. No problem at all.

Be it UK or Thailand we've never been told we're in the wrong line.

I went to the UK with my son, wife and mother-in-law. We all went through the UK line together; wife and MIL hold only Thai passports.

;);)

My family always go through the Thai line together and all approach the counter at the same time when returning here. No problem at all.

Be it UK or Thailand we've never been told we're in the wrong line.

;);)

Really?

That is good news indeed.

I would never have believed it, if it was not for you telling me.

In the UK I travel through the Non-EU line with my wife.

Being a Non-EU citizen my wife might take a few extra minutes for processing, I don't see why EU Passport holders should be delayed by my wife and I choosing to go through the EU Line when only one of us is an EU Passport holder and I only hold up the Non-EU line momentarily when they run a cursory scan over my passport.

If I am traveling alone and if there are a number of Non-EU families holding up the EU line I would become somewhat irritated by the additional delay.

In Thailand: With long lines in the Non-Thai sections my wife has queued in the Thai Passport holder line and asked the immigration officer if I can join her. This has only been necessary once and was not a problem.

IMO: Go in the line you are supposed to be in (i.e. Wife in Non-EU line). If these lines are huge - try the 'mixed' approach.

If you hold a UK passport all of your companions can go through the UK channel -( as a family) They will not split up a family on entry.

You will find the same courtesy is extended here for you too if you are part of a Thai family.

My son holds a Thai passport and we get through in seconds, and I must just give credit where credit is due, with extremely friendly immigration staff. (too many negative posts at times about Thai immigration- they have been nothing except smiling and helpful)

If you however have a bit of time to kill waiting for a connection in the UK, you could always send your extended family into the slow queue behind the hundred or so Nigerians in the foreign passport channel, it does sort of make the wait a little less stressful.

samran, in israel, being dramatic always works best; politeness just gets u standing in a long line with everyone passing you. hysterics, shouting, 'i know people in high places', all work much better. sad but true. ive recently had to help a US couple here who lost their luggage, he was all politeness and low key with no results. i told him to 'turn over some tables': suddenly four peices of luggage were found within the hour. amazing. thats why the thai foreign worker line takes so long here. thais just wait for their employers, they dont ask questions, demand to speak to someone, ask for managers, etc. hubby got stuck in that group and him being newly more 'israeli' made a ruckus, and like magic he was shuffled thu to me making a drama on the other side of the immigration line (me saying hubby has isreaeli id but cant speak langauge well, i have to return the car to the kibbutz in a an hour, etc etc...).

in thailand, he was pulled to the side since he has israeli stamps and they decided he was still a foreign worker so pulled to check for some sort of thai tax form that he has to get when he leaves thailand. so i shoved over and stuck to him like glue. thai immi wasnt pleased but i was all sweetness and light... foreign workers get treated like shit at either end.

a lot must depend on if u fell on someone who knows the rules and has been in the system long, or if its someoen new who is afrain to make mistakes so they get really picky...

well we have no money so next thai trip is only hubby for a home visit; and my next trip is with daughter to the states home visit with US passports... bina

If you hold a UK passport all of your companions can go through the UK channel -( as a family) They will not split up a family on entry.

You will find the same courtesy is extended here for you too if you are part of a Thai family.

My son holds a Thai passport and we get through in seconds, and I must just give credit where credit is due, with extremely friendly immigration staff. (too many negative posts at times about Thai immigration- they have been nothing except smiling and helpful)

If you however have a bit of time to kill waiting for a connection in the UK, you could always send your extended family into the slow queue behind the hundred or so Nigerians in the foreign passport channel, it does sort of make the wait a little less stressful.

Oh yes they will.

Me and my 1 month old baby had to sit around and wait while the missus queued at the non-EU desk.

That was 7 years ago now so maybe they're gotten easier about letting foreigners in.

The line that processes you has nothing to do with letting foreigners in more easily. What nonsense.

Oh yes they will.

Me and my 1 month old baby had to sit around and wait while the missus queued at the non-EU desk.

That was 7 years ago now so maybe they're gotten easier about letting foreigners in.

It sounds like most people think I will be fine traveling as a family. First time My wife and daughter visited I was not sure and sent her to the non EU line while my daughter and I went throught the EU line. The officer checking my passport asked why I was travelling alone with my daughter. When I told her my wife was in the other line she said your wife can come through with you. Also security questioned me on why I was hanging around and again told me my wife should have gone through with me. but I was just unsure about weather this would apply to the in-laws. I guess it does.

I went back to the UK at the end of last month, on arriving at the Immigration queues, I noticed 5 people in the EU queue and an endless queue in the Non EU Passport holders line at Heathrow. I got my thai wife to line up in the Non EU passport holders queue, whilst I went to the EU Queue (British passport holder), I got to the IO and asked him if my wife could join me, I told him she was Thai, he said okay. I then left the IO and went to get my wife, we rejoined the queue for the EU passport holders, she was called forward the IO then asked her if she was travelling with anyone, I had stayed at the waiting line, he then told me to join her, asked her a few questions, asked me the last time I had been home, and wished us a pleasant stay.

Upon returning to Thailand, we joined a queue at Immigration that was quite short, my wife went first the IO said she should have used the Thai queue, but the queue was long and she wanted to stay with me, he then processed her paperwork and them mine and we were on our way.

Both Immigration officers were helpful and cheerful, unlike some reports on here have indicated.

Edited by beano2274

I went back to the UK at the end of last month, on arriving at the Immigration queues, I noticed 5 people in the EU queue and an endless queue in the Non EU Passport holders line at Heathrow. I got my thai wife to line up in the Non EU passport holders queue, whilst I went to the EU Queue (British passport holder), I got to the IO and asked him if my wife could join me, I told him she was Thai, he said okay. I then left the IO and went to get my wife, we rejoined the queue for the EU passport holders, she was called forward the IO then asked her if she was travelling with anyone, I had stayed at the waiting line, he then told me to join her, asked her a few questions, asked me the last time I had been home, and wished us a pleasant stay.

Upon returning to Thailand, we joined a queue at Immigration that was quite short, my wife went first the IO said she should have used the Thai queue, but the queue was long and she wanted to stay with me, he then processed her paperwork and them mine and we were on our way.

Both Immigration officers were helpful and cheerful, unlike some reports on here have indicated.

Do you think you would have got a different reaction if you just walked up with your wife and gave both passports in Heathrow?

When I came back to Thailand last time we had a baby in the push chair and I was taken around the corner from the long immigration queue on arrival in Thailand to an almost hidden empty immigration desk. I cannot remember if it was supposed to be for Thais though.

I just phoned immigration at terminal 4 to get the official stand. They would normaly be OK for immediate family to go through the EU queue but that does not include in-laws. If the Eu queue is not busy it maybe ok, best to ask an immigration officer on the ground and then it may be possible. So I guess I will have to wait and ask.

I just phoned immigration at terminal 4 to get the official stand. They would normaly be OK for immediate family to go through the EU queue but that does not include in-laws. If the Eu queue is not busy it maybe ok, best to ask an immigration officer on the ground and then it may be possible. So I guess I will have to wait and ask.

Like I said ask first then get your wife and the family.

When going to the UK am always told to take familly to uk q, on coming into Thailand use Thai q as i live here ,never a problem ,in fact this year the chap on the desk in Thailand asked if i had a familly here when i said yes he smiled and said welcome home.

When going to the UK am always told to take familly to uk q, on coming into Thailand use Thai q as i live here ,never a problem ,in fact this year the chap on the desk in Thailand asked if i had a familly here when i said yes he smiled and said welcome home.

The immigration officer I spoke to seemed quite confident it would be ok, untill he asked what time I arrive and I said 7.30 am. That he said was a very busy time and as there will be five of us it may not be possible. So not a big thing but anybody know how long it normally takes to clear the non EU queue at 7.30 in the morning?

I went to Holland with the wife last month and upon arriving i asked if she could have joined my cue. They said its quite normal but there are no formal rules allowing it. Most of the time they would accept it.

Wife was however in the other cue because she could not believe it. So after we met up again i told her and said she could have saved herself some time.

All go through together in the EU channel, you are one family and travelling together.

When my wife and I travel to Austria, she goes to the foreign Passport and I to the EU Passport counter.

We can be separate for a few minutes without problems.