What Makes A Millionaire?

Just came back from the pub- was having an arugement with a friend- what makes someone a millionaire?

Having a million in cash? Or having a million in assets e.g. including value of house, investments, stocks etc?

A (dollar) millionaire is defined by Forbes as 1 mio. (USD) nett assets, excluding the primary home.

@ lazygourmet: Yes, you are right. Remind me of a British saying (must be from the filthy rich there): "Money is something you have, not something you talk about!"

Just came back from the pub- was having an arugement with a friend- what makes someone a millionaire?

I would say if you both have to argue about it you are both to far away from being one so why argue about it.

Why is that ?? maybe they are closer to it than you and they were trying to figure out who got there first......as to pass the bar tab to the most worthy.

what makes someone a millionaire?

Having a million in cash?

Well that would exclude Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Donald Trump for starters.

Oh I dont know about that..... You would be surprised how many have a mill in cash & much more.

Recently on CNBC they showed a ATM slip someone found on the street... Wall Street of course :whistling:

But anyway it showed the owner withdrew $400 that day leaving a remainder of just a few dollars shy of 1 million in their account.

Why are "millionaires" only defined and denominated in dollars?

Is an Italian with 689.000 Euros a millionaire?

Is someone from New Zealand with 1.1 mil NZ dollars still a little short of being a millionaire?

I converted $120 US in Laos and became an instant millionaire.

A millionaire is whatever you want it to be.

Since most paper currencies are heading towards worthlessness, maybe a millionaire is someone with a million ounces of gold?

Why are "millionaires" only defined and denominated in dollars?

Is an Italian with 689.000 Euros a millionaire?

Is someone from New Zealand with 1.1 mil NZ dollars still a little short of being a millionaire?

I converted $120 US in Laos and became an instant millionaire.

A millionaire is whatever you want it to be.

Since most paper currencies are heading towards worthlessness, maybe a millionaire is someone with a million ounces of gold?

Mainly because the USD is the Wold Reserve Currency

Of course you can convert any currency to USD & when you reach 1 million your there :)

As for gold ( it too has a world spot price )you only need 61,728 ounces

(at todays price) to be a millionaire ;)

Edited by flying

Whoa dude and here I was thinking that only 618 was enough to get in the club...

something wrong with your calculator Flying? :o

:lol: :lol: ok sorry ....that will teach me not to type without enough coffee in my brain

Edited by flying

The time I most felt like a millionaire was when I was a Trainee working in Paris earning a basic wage and tips - Renting and only taking care of No1 - No worries .. just fun

I think later in life to be classed as a millionaire one also has to have no cash worries and be able to enjoy life ...

There are many millionaires who are asset rich and cash poor with too much borrowing , which does not lead to a happy life and in my book does not mean one can be classed as a Millionaire ..... B)

Edited by churchill