Email To SMS Gateway

Tywais

We have a new piece of expensive equipment that needs to be monitored 24 hours a day. I have already setup remote control/monitoring to watch it from the Internet but need a way of sending an alert message automatically to the technician when he is not at home. I can write the software to send an e-mail when an emergency alarm occurs but need to be able to send it via SMS to his phone automatically. I realize he can receive incoming email messages on his smart phone but enabling GPRS/EDGE on his phone kills his battery quickly plus the cost for him to maintain it.

I did some searching with no luck except to find it is a common service in many countries but can not find any for Thailand. A post on TV 4 or 5 years ago said DTAC offered it but has since stopped the service forcing subscribers to go via GPRS.

Anyone know if any of the mobile providers have E-mail to SMS gateway services such as DTAC, AIS, True, etc? I found a commercial site outside of Thailand, Clickatell that has been recommended but no experience with an International gateway service.

Another option might be to get a USB Cellular modem.

You can easily script that with AT command set to send

out SMS .... or even call the dude and play back some

sound file !

Cost would be the modem, and what ever it takes to keep

the SIM card alive months-to-months ...

Good Luck,

rudi

Another option might be to get a USB Cellular modem.

You can easily script that with AT command set to send

out SMS .... or even call the dude and play back some

sound file !

That's on my list of possible solutions of using a standard mobile phone with USB tethering.

I send texts from my PC via my Android phone by using LazyDroid server. It uses a web interface so shouldnt be too hard to script.

As the phone connects to the PC using the USB cable there would be no battery issues and the only cost (apart from the phone) would be a standard prepay SIM card and 1B per text or whatever it is. I'm still using the original 50Baht top-up on mine, after 7 months.

Thanks for those that recommended a USB GSM/GPRS modem and AT command set. That is an easy solution and simple to put into my monitoring software. Already ordered the modem today as the boss says the budget expires in 2-3 days. :D

It ends up the e-mail > SMS solution was not such a good idea as the primary item we are monitoring is the 15kVA UPS for the entire system and need to quickly respond to a power failure due to vacuum systems. The main computer is on a 2nd large UPS while our facility network switches are on smaller ones so chance they (network) shut down preventing e-mail is high.

We bought this to do SMS authentication for Exchange access, but it has a host of other applications, and can work with either an SMS service provider or a 3G modem, using SMPP. They've done a lot of work making it integrate with all sorts of stuff.

Works really well. Can't hurt to take a look, but I don't know what your budget is.

Ozeki SMS

Edited by Chicog