Getting A Degree In Thailand

natalie2

Its worth bearing in mind that there are generally two types of degrees (in high contrast) :

The degree that you did primarily for the piece of paper at the end (and perhaps some fun along the way) . . .

and

The degree that you did primarily for knowledge of the subject matter (and perhaps some fun along the way) . . .

Which one will it be?

Edited by Trembly

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are a foreigner doing a Degree in Thailand, will the company be opened to employ you and will you still be restricted by the types of jobs a foreigner can do? If doing a Degree in Thailand means you can work in more industries in Thailand, I think it is a good thing. Otherwise, I would rather go overseas to study.

As an employeer in Thailand who hires mostly recent college graduates, expat and Thai, I have a little different view point. And in my prior life working for a multi-national and interviewing and hiring MBAs from MIT, Stanford, Harvard and the rest because at that time we could get the cream of the crop.

The right degree from the right school will open doors. Especially with HR departments in big, top tier, companies. If that's your path, consider your choices. Aside form the elite I've a different view...

The critical skill for your working career won't be any subject you learned in school. It will be the ability to learn and re-learn and learn more. It's a different world and it's changing every day. For me an American who graduated from a Thai university would tell me that this is a person who took chances, who had the courage to do something different, and who was open to different experiences. It would suggest to me someone open to learning and new ideas. In other words a good hire. In a Flat World this would get my attention. "What the hell was he doing going to school in Thailand??" would make me interested to meet you.

I've hired and fired a both Harvard MBA and a hand-picked by HR Stanford undergrad superstar. Perhaps they weren't drilled in rote learning but they couldn't DO anything. They could talk a good talk, but no clue how to make things happen in the real world. That opened my eyes quite wide as to the value of an elite education.

The most important consideration is what would make you most happy. What in your heart do you really want to do? Follow your north star and don't let anyone hand you cheap advice otherwise. 30 years from now I promise you what college you went to won't turn out to be as pivotal in life as choosing to do the things you have passion for and have love in the doing.

If you nurture yourself, do things you love, and develop an ability to learn, adapt and grow that is the skill that will serve you well. When you interview with a prospective employeer it wil shine very brightly indeed. In addition to a job you'll have the pleasure of a life well lived. Follow your heart.

Three comments:

- Lots of quality research, done many times, proves clearly that high GPA is not a forecaster of high on the job performance. Many companies who used to scramble over each other to employ just the highest GPA graduates (almost no other factors considered) now don't do this because they have learned from experience (sometimes bitter experience) that GPA is not a forecaster of high on the job performance.

- Totally agree, have a good think about what will make you happy.

- Lots of comments about US universities. There are also excellent world class / premium universities across Europe, Australia, Canada, Singapore and China, Brazil, and more.

Edited by scorecard

Ok,

I'm about to complete my MA in TEFL at a Thai university and I can tell you from experience the following:

International program was delivered 70/30 English Thai Split. Imagine even with a half decent Thai Vocab, trying to recapture and develop ones understanding of inferential statistics. Learning Chi Squared in Thai is no joke!

The sumative tests were seldom multiple choice and the formative stuff was often project based or portfolio driven.

The hardest part to take was that a few of us were scoring 90+ Percent on tests while others were barely scraping by. They complained and suddenly everyone was scoring 80-90%.. That REALLY pis.sed me off!!

More focus on format of Thesis than content of thesis drives me nuts. They genuinely will let blatant plagerism slide but if you don't have the right indent, you can't graduate! This is FAAAKKKING NUTZZZ!!!

Thesis advisor glances at my proposal and suggests radical changes. I comply reluctantly only to have the committee tell me to change back the 2 months worth of changes to what I had originally proposed. To cap that off, my advisor was the chair of the committee!! And she didn't even blush. :annoyed:

Overall I started out enthusiastic and my research has helped my classroom no end, and continues to do so. But the overall value of the certificate I will recieve has been diminished greatly by certain practices.

As an employeer in Thailand who hires mostly recent college graduates, expat and Thai, I have a little different view point. And in my prior life working for a multi-national and interviewing and hiring MBAs from MIT, Stanford, Harvard and the rest because at that time we could get the cream of the crop.

The right degree from the right school will open doors. Especially with HR departments in big, top tier, companies. If that's your path, consider your choices. Aside form the elite I've a different view...

The critical skill for your working career won't be any subject you learned in school. It will be the ability to learn and re-learn and learn more. It's a different world and it's changing every day. For me an American who graduated from a Thai university would tell me that this is a person who took chances, who had the courage to do something different, and who was open to different experiences. It would suggest to me someone open to learning and new ideas. In other words a good hire. In a Flat World this would get my attention. "What the hell was he doing going to school in Thailand??" would make me interested to meet you.

I've hired and fired a both Harvard MBA and a hand-picked by HR Stanford undergrad superstar. Perhaps they weren't drilled in rote learning but they couldn't DO anything. They could talk a good talk, but no clue how to make things happen in the real world. That opened my eyes quite wide as to the value of an elite education.

The most important consideration is what would make you most happy. What in your heart do you really want to do? Follow your north star and don't let anyone hand you cheap advice otherwise. 30 years from now I promise you what college you went to won't turn out to be as pivotal in life as choosing to do the things you have passion for and have love in the doing.

If you nurture yourself, do things you love, and develop an ability to learn, adapt and grow that is the skill that will serve you well. When you interview with a prospective employeer it wil shine very brightly indeed. In addition to a job you'll have the pleasure of a life well lived. Follow your heart.

Three comments:

- Lots of quality research, done many times, proves clearly that high GPA is not a forecaster of high on the job performance. Many companies who used to scramble over each other to employ just the highest GPA graduates (almost no other factors considered) now don't do this because they have learned from experience (sometimes bitter experience) that GPA is not a forecaster of high on the job performance.

- Totally agree, have a good think about what will make you happy.

- Lots of comments about US universities. There are also excellent world class / premium universities across Europe, Australia, Canada, Singapore and China, Brazil, and more.

I understand what you guys are saying, but can't 100% agree. For some degrees, grades are not as important. Marketing, poly sci, sociology. computer sci. For others, it's a big deal. Graduate from med school with a 2.5 out of 4.0 and I can pretty much guarantee many places won't be chasing you nearly as hard as the person who graduated with a 3.8. Same with Accounting, Engineering, law, etc. It's all about what you learned in school with those degrees. And with a low GPA, you can pretty much forget getting into a top notch school for your advanced degree.

My friend owns his own law firm. Maybe 100 lawyers. He only hires from the very top percentile, as he only has a few openings per year. So he can be picky. On the other hand, I know a guy (can you believe his name actually is Kermit?) who graduated at the top of his class at a major law school. He is one strange dude. Can't even look you in the eye. Took several years to get a job and that was back in the go go days of the 90s. So for sure, grades aren't everything.

I have an MBA from a top notch school and I do agree grades were not that big of a deal. But in some areas, it makes all the difference in the world.

I remember trying to get my friend a job at Morgan Stanley. He was a perfect fit, but no degree. It took months to get it figured out...and I think his boss eventually just lied to get him in. Turned out to be one of their best programmers...which is something you can learn on your own and be very, very, very good at. Bill Gates, anyone?

Ask the checkout ladies at your local supermarket. You may be surprised at how many have degrees in something or other. Given the education system in Thailand and the inherent degree of graft, corruption and nepotism within, I should think that those overseas regard a degree from a Thai university with as much regard as a used bus ticket. If you are thinking about an MBA the only thing that you need to know is that the Boss is always right - so don't dare to offer an alternative opinion. A willingness to satisfy his libido on request will help you climb the company ladder.

It must be 20 years ago now that I stopped thinking that I could, as a matter of course, expect a UK degree holder to have some knowledge, a reasonable amount of common sense and evidence of some intellectual facility. Even then job seekers would talk of 'Uni' probably because the word University contained far too may syllables for them to handle. I offer this last to head off those who might think I am needlessly 'Thai bashing'. Personal qualities and education standards universally ain't wot dey yews to bee.

In the USA, supermarket girls and Walmart girls also have degrees in something or other.

Anyone can get a degree in any country, as long as you can pay for it. Same everywhere.

and you ARE thai bashing. "Thai Universities are crap" is such a cliche. Tell that to the students at King Mongkut North Bangkok. Those kids are braniacs. Also, getting into Chulalongkorn is not easy.

I bet YOU can't pass the English entrance exam for Chula.

Edited by thaicruze

In the USA, supermarket girls and Walmart girls also have degrees in something or other.

Anyone can get a degree in any country, as long as you can pay for it. Same everywhere.

and you ARE thai bashing. "Thai Universities are crap" is such a cliche. Tell that to the students at King Mongkut North Bangkok. Those kids are braniacs. Also, getting into Chulalongkorn is not easy.

I bet YOU can't pass the English entrance exam for Chula.

I'm sorry, but none of the supermarket or Walmart employees I know have degrees. Thus, their reason for working there. Even the manager at the local store doesn't have a degree. In my Mom's small town, I know a lot of the workers there.

^

That's good for Thais then. At least they all educate themselves to a certain level,

Also, in the USA one can't live on $7.50 an hour. Thais are different. Many university graduates are still living at home. I wouldn't find it strange that so many workers at retail stores are university graduates.

The other thing to consider is that in the USA, having a degree is not entirely necessary. You can have lots of experience and be hired.

A Walmart store manager starting salary is around $90,000 a year. That's a lot of money. With the right experience and good looking resume, but no degree, iit is possible to get a job like that in the USA.

In Thailand, you couldn't pump gas at a gas station without some sort of degree. It is a requirement for almost any job in Thailand to at least have a bachelors in something. This is not the case in the USA.

As for the university situation, George W. Bush went to Harvard. Proof that all you need in the USA to get into the best school is money. He still can't put a proper English sentence together.

Edited by thaicruze

It seems there may be some confusion between Thai programs & international programs here. I understood that the OP was looking into international programs, as her Thai language requirements for the Thai program would be a bit much.

There is a *huge* difference in the two types of programs. Again, based on my own experience in getting an MA from Chula in an international program, the international programs are *not* rote learning with multiple choice tests. We had essays tests-- things that were very difficult for me as a native English speaker, and the grading scale was similar to my American BA standards. Chula's grading scale was a minimum of 70% to pass the class.

There are international BAs available which would be comprable to their overseas counterparts. So I think to compare a Thai BA with an international program BA here is a bit like comparing apples & oranges. And depending on what the degree is in, there are certainly advantages to a BA from a Thai international program in certain areas (i.e. Thai/Asian/Southeast Asian studies).

Your specific questions:

1. The way degrees from Thailand are looked upon by foreign employers, if I were to return home ( US ) for example.
  2. Is there a specific university that anybody would recommend?
  3. Is there a university that offers international programs that I should avoid?

I think if you really want to know what a possible employer thinks about a Thai "international education" you should write or email an HR office of a company in the US that you think you might want to work at and ask them this question. I would suspect that most employers in the US don't know anything about international education much less about Thai education.

I cannot speak for other universities because I only study at one. I have been studying in an international program in Chiang Mai for the last 4 years. There are pros and cons to this.

Pros

• English: 55% of the student body is from a country other than Thailand. Because the majority of students originate from a country other than Thailand, teachers have to teach in English at all times.
  • International Environment: With such a large number of students from other countries, it is easy (in my business classes) to ask about specific cultural or business related questions to people from these many other countries.
  • No tunnel vision: Studying a subject in English in an English speaking country will probably surround you with native English speakers from that country. Chances are there will all only be able to share experiences as it relates to the country they are in. They will not be able to share their experience from outside their country. Hence, you get tunnel vision.
  • Western Text Books: All of the text books are from the USA. Concepts taught in the US are also taught here.
  • International Connections: Studying with students from 30 different countries enables you to make connections all over the world. These connections can prove very valuable in the future after you finish your degree in Thailand.
  • Low Cost/High Quality: The cost of education in Thailand is a lot less than education in western countries. However, this does not mean that the quality is any less. Courses here are just as hard. I have failed classes before and so have some of my other classmates. My failures were due to my weak math skills as some of the harder business subjects such as Productions Operations Management, Finance or International Trade require decent math skills.

Cons

• Bad teachers: For the most part, I am happy with my teachers. However, some of my teachers were not that good. When I ran into a teacher like that, I was quite vocal about my disappointment. However, many of my teachers were awesome!
  • Bureaucracy: Sometimes the bureaucratic of getting things done in Thailand seems a bit much. For example, if I wanted to drop one class and add another I would have to get 6 or 7 signatures from all over campus.

4 years is a long time to stay in one place. Make sure you like the location of the university as well. Loving the place where you study is very important to your motivation to study. I love studying in Chiang Mai and would not want to study anywhere else.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a message either here in this forum or privately. :D

• 2 weeks later...

You should have a look at " Stamford International University"(STIU) BANGKOK CAMPUS

They offer both Undergraduate and Graduate programs

STIU offers a 3 year undergraduate program and 1 year MBA programs( MBA can either be FULL TIME or on WEEKENDS)

STIU offers 12 majors from 3 Facultys

Faculty of Business Administration (B.B.A.)

Accounting

Finance

Information Systems Management

International Business

Management

Marketing

Airline Business Management

Faculty of Liberal Arts (B.A.)

English Language Studies

Communication Arts

Hospitality and Tourism

Faculty of Science and Technology (B.Sc.)

Information Technology

Computer Animation

The lecturers at STIU are from all over the world. Australia/NZ, USA, UK, ASIA. & speak english very well.

Stamford also offers a VAN SERVICE that picks up and drops off at certain spots so it makes it easier to get around from and too Uni from your apartment.

Also offered are EXCHANGE programs

So you can do an exchange at other Uni's. Example; Blake Hall College UK

Double Degrees are also offered with a joint partnership with University of Bedfordshire in the UK.

Afflications

Blake Hall College UK

Bremerhaven University Germany

Griffith University Australia

HES Netherlands

Mikkeli Polytechni Finland

Schiller International University

-Florida USA

-London UK

- Madrid Spain

- Heidelberg Germany

- Leysin Switzerlnd

- Paris France

University of Bedfordshire UK

University of Vaasa Finland

Lastly

Stamford will soon be partnering with Laureate International Universities. (they are worth googling)

Laureate International Universities have

5 Institutions in North America

29 Institutions in South America

18 Institutions in Europe

2 Institutions in Middle East

11 Institutions in Asia Pacific

Hope this has helped

Edited by Jellyb3ans