Getting A Degree In Thailand

natalie2

Hi all,

I'll get straight to the point, recently i have been thinking whether or not to do a degree at a University in Thailand, I have been looking at several university websites looking at different courses available,

considering my location ( Thailand ) BA in international studies seems favorable.

I moved to Thailand not so long ago with my father, turns out he will stay here indefinitely, and i have made some Thai friends along the way that are trying to give advice on which institution to attend,

i know the international degree programs here are fully accredited but my main concern is the way degrees from Thailand are looked upon by foreign employers, if i were to return home ( US ) for example.

Is there a specific university that anybody would reccommend? or even a university that offers international programs that I should avoid?

Thanks!

Peace.

Nat :jap:

Edited by natalie2

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are getting a degree in Thai Language it is a good idea. Anything else, silly idea.

Thanks for your reply! could your briefly expand on whay it's a silly idea to do anything apart from a Thai language degree.

Ask the checkout ladies at your local supermarket. You may be surprised at how many have degrees in something or other. Given the education system in Thailand and the inherent degree of graft, corruption and nepotism within, I should think that those overseas regard a degree from a Thai university with as much regard as a used bus ticket. If you are thinking about an MBA the only thing that you need to know is that the Boss is always right - so don't dare to offer an alternative opinion. A willingness to satisfy his libido on request will help you climb the company ladder.

It must be 20 years ago now that I stopped thinking that I could, as a matter of course, expect a UK degree holder to have some knowledge, a reasonable amount of common sense and evidence of some intellectual facility. Even then job seekers would talk of 'Uni' probably because the word University contained far too may syllables for them to handle. I offer this last to head off those who might think I am needlessly 'Thai bashing'. Personal qualities and education standards universally ain't wot dey yews to bee.

If you're doing a degree for academic interest, I would not go to university in Thailand. If you're doing it for future employment, maybe yes but you'd be much better off talking to someone - or better, several people - who recruit for the kind of company you would like to work for. It's possible that an employer would be impressed by someone who had the balls to do something different (I think I would be, if I were recruiting) and although Thai universities are generally pretty awful, so are British and American ones outside the elite level. Either way, my impression is that most of the people on this forum are not going to be prospective employers so I wouldn't pay too much attention to their advice.

If you have a chance to go back to the US, and could attend one of the better universities, I would highly recommend that. It's an amazing experience and can set you off on a great track. Make the most out of it that you can!

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_and_university_rankings

Ask the checkout ladies at your local supermarket. You may be surprised at how many have degrees in something or other. Given the education system in Thailand and the inherent degree of graft, corruption and nepotism within, I should think that those overseas regard a degree from a Thai university with as much regard as a used bus ticket. If you are thinking about an MBA the only thing that you need to know is that the Boss is always right - so don't dare to offer an alternative opinion. A willingness to satisfy his libido on request will help you climb the company ladder.

It must be 20 years ago now that I stopped thinking that I could, as a matter of course, expect a UK degree holder to have some knowledge, a reasonable amount of common sense and evidence of some intellectual facility. Even then job seekers would talk of 'Uni' probably because the word University contained far too may syllables for them to handle. I offer this last to head off those who might think I am needlessly 'Thai bashing'. Personal qualities and education standards universally ain't wot dey yews to bee.

Not accurate at all.

One simple point. Many Thai universities have exchange programs with many high profile /highly credible universities from across the world. No university will sign an exchange agreement unless they are well convinced that the partner university is highly credible academically, has the right accreditations, have modern two way tuition methodologies, the degree to which they push innovation, thought provoking case study work, the admin. processes to take care of the welfare of visiting students, etc.

I have taught many students from highly credible universities from abroad at both Thammasat and Chula., and I've had many of my Thai students accepted into high profile institutions abroad, and most have returned with good results.

It is of course true that Thailand, like many countries (including first world countries), also has universities which are lacking in credibility.

Maybe go to Cambodia and study at their high schools. I don't think I've met one Thai university graduate with the intelligence nor knowledge of the average Cambodian I've met there.

As for studying a degree in Thai language, not really that useful studying a language that is only used in one small country, for most people anyway, especially if not sure about living here long-term.

I suspect that the OPs concerns are well founded....

The issue has nothing to do with the quality of Thai Universities compared with English Universities, it has everything to do with the image a Thai university will have in the eyes of a future employer....

As an example: Removing Thailand and thus any potential bias from the equation for a moment:

OP: If you were a boss reading through CV's / Resumes how would you compare the University of Costa Rica with Warwick University or University of Luton in the UK for example.

You may not know much any of the Universities mentioned above unless you have lived in the UK or Costa Rica, your opinions may be biased by friends but more likely due to your perceived notions and image of a nation.

IMO: Rightly or wrongly a Degree from an Western University will put you at far greater advantage than a Degree from Thailand. Or to word the same comment slightly differently; a degree from Thailand is likely to put you at a disadvantage when compared to a those with a Degree from Western Universities.

Its only 3-4 years - Thailand isn't going anywhere, friends can visit.

If you were a boss reading through CV's / Resumes how would you compare the University of Costa Rica with Warwick University or University of Luton in the UK for example.

If I were an employer in Britain and I saw that an applicant had gone to the University of Costa Rica, I'd be curious. If I saw the same person had gone to the University of Luton, I'd throw the application in the bin.

----

I think it's easy to overestimate how negative an employer's opinion of Thai universities is. In all likelihood, they'll have no idea. What they will know is that the average university in Britain/America/Australia churns out useless graduates who have very indifferent skills (I saw some research recently which showed that over the course of their university studies, a third of American students have no measurable improvement in their academic abilities - I'm sure this is the same in other countries) so from the point of view of employment, I'm not convinced that, compared to an indifferent western university, a Thai university is such a bad idea but as I said above, you need to speak to recruiters. It's an extremely important decision and one which should be taken only when you have all the relevant information. Of course, from an academic point of view, I'd say don't even think about going to a Thai university. Even a bad western one will give you access to much better resources (visiting speakers, better libraries, better faculty, etc.)

Edited by DanR

I'm not real familiar with this place but I have seen a number of ads for them. They claim to be a overseas branch of a US university and are located in Hua Hin. Might be worth looking into, google Webster University for details. Good luck.

One's results may vary, but one rather valuable thing I got from my Thai MBA was a pretty useful social network. More useful (if we were going to quantify it in simple financial returns) than my US undergrad degree.

Knowledge wise, I wouldn't say next to nil as most of the naysayers would, but yeah, like most things education wise, I'd lean towards saying you won't get much out of it if you're one of those who just sits back and hopes it'll all be handed to you or expects that reading about 35-40 books and going to exams that cover said material will change your life by some drastic measure.

:)

One's results may vary, but one rather valuable thing I got from my Thai MBA was a pretty useful social network. More useful (if we were going to quantify it in simple financial returns) than my US undergrad degree.

Knowledge wise, I wouldn't say next to nil as most of the naysayers would, but yeah, like most things education wise, I'd lean towards saying you won't get much out of it if you're one of those who just sits back and hopes it'll all be handed to you or expects that reading about 35-40 books and going to exams that cover said material will change your life by some drastic measure.

That is an excellent point. The alumni network is pretty strong. So if you plan to work in Thailand, this is a great help.

Not accurate at all.

One simple point. Many Thai universities have exchange programs with many high profile /highly credible universities from across the world. No university will sign an exchange agreement unless they are well convinced that the partner university is highly credible academically, has the right accreditations, have modern two way tuition methodologies, the degree to which they push innovation, thought provoking case study work, the admin. processes to take care of the welfare of visiting students, etc.

I have taught many students from highly credible universities from abroad at both Thammasat and Chula., and I've had many of my Thai students accepted into high profile institutions abroad, and most have returned with good results.

It is of course true that Thailand, like many countries (including first world countries), also has universities which are lacking in credibility.

I remember when the son of a particular ousted political figure was caught cheating at one of the most "reputable" universities here on his exam; when pressed the university stated publically that they didn't take cheating very seriously. If memory serves me, at least a few programs between that university and well respected ones in the US were abruptly cancelled.

Save your time and money; don't get a degree in Thailand.

One of the more sensible replies. I'll add that I know quite a few Thai folks who got their undergrad in Thailand and went overseas to do their post-graduate work. Every single one was able to get into a western uni grad program with their Thai undergrad degree, and this included Ivy League schools in the US, as well as Berkeley, USC, just to name a few. Westerners like to talk out-of-their-ass about Thai uni's, and of course, most have never even been inside of one. But when they go to see their doctor or dentist, for example, pretty much all of these folks got some or all of their education in Thai uni's.

As for school reputation, unless you attended Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, or the like, the employer is not going to know anything about your university. Can anyone even name a uni in Japan? Or Korea? Or Singapore? Most of the time, just having a degree with a decent GPA is all that matters. Of course, a degree is only one piece when considering a prospective employee. Knowing what I know about schools in the US, I'd take a Chula grad over a grad from some obscure US school any day of the week, all other things being equal.

One of the more sensible replies. I'll add that I know quite a few Thai folks who got their undergrad in Thailand and went overseas to do their post-graduate work. Every single one was able to get into a western uni grad program with their Thai undergrad degree, and this included Ivy League schools in the US, as well as Berkeley, USC, just to name a few. Westerners like to talk out-of-their-ass about Thai uni's, and of course, most have never even been inside of one. But when they go to see their doctor or dentist, for example, pretty much all of these folks got some or all of their education in Thai uni's.

As for school reputation, unless you attended Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, Princeton, or the like, the employer is not going to know anything about your university. Can anyone even name a uni in Japan? Or Korea? Or Singapore? Most of the time, just having a degree with a decent GPA is all that matters. Of course, a degree is only one piece when considering a prospective employee. Knowing what I know about schools in the US, I'd take a Chula grad over a grad from some obscure US school any day of the week, all other things being equal.

For sure if you attend one of the "ring knocker" schools, every employer will know what's up. But I don't agree with your comments about less well known schools. I went to Western Michigan University. For sure not well known...except in accounting circles, or by employers in that region. It's a great school for accounting. Every major accounting firm recruits from there aggressively, especially in the major metro areas nearby (Chicago, Detroit, etc.). The faculty was excellent, the curriculum was great.

That is an excellent point. The alumni network is pretty strong. So if you plan to work in Thailand, this is a great help.

I would add that it CAN be a great help. It doesn't mean that you'll automatically be rubbing elbows with the next generation of captains of industry and that doors to opportunities will be flying open left and right. If you don't have anything significant to bring to the table, you'll probably end up at the kiddie table. And there's always the possibility, after reading many of these threads, that one might not make too many friends at school here anyway.

;)

For sure if you attend one of the "ring knocker" schools, every employer will know what's up. But I don't agree with your comments about less well known schools. I went to Western Michigan University. For sure not well known...except in accounting circles, or by employers in that region. It's a great school for accounting. Every major accounting firm recruits from there aggressively, especially in the major metro areas nearby (Chicago, Detroit, etc.). The faculty was excellent, the curriculum was great.

Those are good points, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. I've never heard of Western Michigan Uni, but I'll take your word for it that it's a top accounting school regionally. I'm sure employers in that region would value a WMU degree over most any foreign uni, again, all other things being equal.

Natalie,

If you want to get a degree and work in Thailand after that,..then I would advice you to get it back in the US.

Not only it will hold a bit more weight here in Thailand, but the opportunity to mingle with many hi-so kids is worth a few thousands extra bths/mo possibly. You don't have to like them, but in a business arena you got to do what you got to do…to get yourself ahead. Because, generally, in order to have a good position and better pay in thailand, it's very helpful to have a good networking in the hi-so circle, unless you're quite exceptional on your own.

Most hi-so kids come from quite influential families, and just about all of them would choose to send their kids oversea. The families do not expect their kids to come back and work for someone else (at least for not too long anyway), but with the expectation of coming back with many fresh ideas on how to improve a family business, or start their own. There should be the "Thai Students Association"in every major US universities, you can check them out.

Just something to think about

Best wishes

Edited by doji

take your money and put it in a small metal bin. liberly apply some petrol or some thai whisky. wait for it to soak in. stand back and throw in a lit match. watch as it burns so brightly. its so pretty,isn't it. it looks good, makes you feel all warm inside. invite your neighbours over to look at it. or do a degree here. same result.:blink:

These threads are always the same... a bunch of folks talking about how bad Thai Universities are... but coming from personal experience, I disagree...

I graduated from University here in Thailand, in fact I transferred from a US University and did not find that the level of education was lower in any way.

In fa, the Thai University I went to was ranked higher than the US University I was going to (in the world rankings) and the US University I went to, was considered one of the top universities in the state and had many companies recruiting graduating students every year.

I was originally planning on going back to the US after graduating and did not anticipate any problem with getting hired, but I guess we will never know, as I was offered a job at a Thai Company and have been here ever since.

No I am not teaching English, and I do not have any complaints about the salary... I am living just as good a lifestyle (if not better) than I would have anticipated if I had graduated and worked in the US.

Take it from some one who has actually taken the path you are talking about, Thai Universities are nowhere near as bad as many are claiming... In fact, some are actually quite good.