Queens Birthday & Mothers Day

CMwanderer

The Queen's Birthday on August 12th is also Thailand's Mothers Day and a public holiday. As far as I can figure the banks and schools close but everything else goes on as normal. Shopping Centres and restaurants will be busy with everyone celebrating. That's what I do know, but are there any actual festivities that I should keep my eye out for? I've posted this in the local CM forum as I'd like local events not BKK or other events.

I also heard that besides making offerings at the local temple, Jasmine flowers for mothers is the done thing here, is that right?

"The Queen's Birthday on August 12th is also Thailand's Mothers Day and a public holiday. As far as I can figure the banks and schools close but everything else goes on as normal. Shopping Centres and restaurants will be busy with everyone celebrating. That's what I do know, but are there any actual festivities that I should keep my eye out for?

I also heard that besides making offerings at the local temple, Jasmine flowers for mothers is the done thing here, is that right?"

It is just like any other day. I have never seen anyone celebrate the Queen's Birthday. I've been with different Thais on the date in question over the years and never even heard them utter a word about it!

Flowers for mother??? Can't say about the temple thing - I don't know. I wouldn't give it any thought if I were you.

cmwanderer.

re .. Surely there's more to it then bars being closed

i might be wrong here but there might be a five day flower show in the park like last year

and there might be fireworks at thapae gate like last year

and a big stage show there as well in the evening

but everyone else says nothing happens .. blind or what ? : )

dave2

post-42592-0-75195900-1311861950_thumb.j

post-42592-0-51058400-1311861972_thumb.j

post-42592-0-80627700-1311862023_thumb.j

not QB I know . . . but

we were in CM in December 2009, incl the week of the King's birthday

All week free performances near Tha Pae Gate - dance and music traditional and modern, plenty of food/market stalls

The botanic gardens were tidied up for the occasion, featured a national orchid show, horticultural and crafts exhibition and numerous one-off events

It was a nice time to be there.

Which park is that Dave? The Botanic Gardens?

Sounds like Tha Pae Gate is the site to watch if anything is going to happen.

It will be a non-event that's for sure. Don't waste your time.

Ditto, people just visit their mothers if they can.

Which park is that Dave? The Botanic Gardens?

Sounds like Tha Pae Gate is the site to watch if anything is going to happen.

It will be a non-event that's for sure. Don't waste your time.

Ditto, people just visit their mothers if they can.

Or in my case, where the child lives with his mother, he is using the opportunity to come up to CM and see his father. Hurray for Mother's Day!!

• 2 weeks later...

cm wanderer.

re .. I've posted this in the local CM forum as I'd like local events

theres a small flower show in and around the park ( s west corner of the inner moat ) 10th to 14th

the stage was being put up at thapae gate today but whats going on there and when .. i dont know ... sorry !

dave2

post-42592-0-37548500-1312816452_thumb.j

post-42592-0-97075800-1312816491_thumb.j

Yes, but are the bars open???

I asked around last night and, surprise surprise, nobody really knows for sure. Most likely many places will be 'half-open'.

What a celebration. :bah:

I'll drink to that. Who really cares about the "special flower garlands at the flower markets for the mums."?? :lol:

I asked around last night and, surprise surprise, nobody really knows for sure. Most likely many places will be 'half-open'.

I'll drink to that. Who really cares about the "special flower garlands at the flower markets for the mums."?? :lol:

I wish I still had mum to buy flowers for........I never bought her nearly enough. sad.gif

However, I'm with you on the celebratory drinking. biggrin.gif

I wish I still had mum to buy flowers for........I never bought her nearly enough.

I agree with you. I wish my mum was still around too. I never bought enough flowers for her either.

A friend of mine owns a bar and said that it was requested that they not sell alcohol on Mother's Day, he is closing for the day as he said, its a holiday anyway and with no alcohol sales I might as well give my staff the day off.

But he did not believe it was the law , merely a recommendation by the police.

There will be festival with the Best Mother Award and fireworks at Tha Pae this evening, the event starts at 6:30 I believe. Perhaps the rain will stop by then.

I'll give updates tonight as to how many bars are open, and the number of peeps at Thapae gate. See if I can get thrown out of a bar again by police. ;)

Also I have a feeling that many (if not all) of the Thai pubs/restos in Santitham will be open, with beer girls in full attendance.