Learning Thai In Hua Hin

hinhua

Sorry, just another newbie question...

I'd like to learn Thai - not necessarily to become an expert but to know enough to be able to get by and hold a basic conversation...I've seen a few adverts and language schools around, and not sure which one to use, or even whether it's really necessary to take a course to learn Thai. Maybe a local could teach me the basics for a cheaper rate. In any case, I'll go and check out a few places, but if anyone has any local experience on this, it'd be handy to know. Perhaps reading Thai would be interesting as well, but I guess that's pretty advanced stuff.....

Thankyou!

Hello there.

Just shack up with a bar girl and you'll learn Thai in no time :-) just kidding but seriously it's one good way to learn Thai just by talking with the locals. You don't necessarily have to take a course. Depends how long you are going to be here. I myself learnt a lot of Thai initially with a phrasebook and dictionary, and by speaking with Thais (mainly bargirls but it still counts!). Later found lots of online resources and on YouTube, even for reading and writing Thai (which I learnt on my own - not perfect now but can read most signs and even the subtitles on TV). There's a few language schools around town, just do a search on the Internet. You could try WECI or Insight English, I believe they have some courses and you can usually get a free lesson or two to decide if you like it or not. Good luck with your learning!

I work at TLC in Hua Hin. It's on Phetkasem Road opposite Citin Loft apartments. It's been established since 2008. They won an award last year. We have a very active Thai programme with good teachers and 6 classrooms. Our students come back year after year. That's the best recommendation, I think. Also very strong for ED visas. See www.thailandlanguagecentre.org for more info. Tel: 032 533 428. I teach English there by the way.

Hope it helps.

P&M

I wasn't aware of TCL, have you got posters and flyers around town? I'll check out your website as I have a friend interested in learning Thai - he's just gone back to Holland (well, on Monday coming) but he'll be back in a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for anyone else here but I had been coming to LOS for 12 yrs. and could speak only a few basic phrases.(hanging out at the wrong bars apparently) Three yrs. ago, I took Thai lessons for about a month and it improved my vocabulary and speaking ability dramatically. It's just whet my appetite to learn more now. If you can get a good teacher I would highly recommend it. That being said, writing Thai is a whole different animal.