How Do Thais Apply For Schengen?

My Thai friend is planning to go to Turino, Italy. She is a bit confused about the visa process, how do Thais normally apply for Schengen visas?

As they need to see air ticket reservations, but my friend obviously does not want to pay for tickets before she knows she can get a visa

I am only familiar with booking tickets on websites, which would require 100% payment before issuing any kind of reservation/ticket

but she has told me that some Thai Travel Agents can issue a reservation without any deposit beforehand

Any advice anyone?

You are correct, your friend will need to apply for a Schengen Visa at the Italian Consulate in Bangkok for her proposed trip, in the check list it says that she must supply a "Ticket reservations for round trip flights", as opposed to the actual tickets, I understand a number of Thai travel agents will supply one without booking an actual ticket, in fact most Consulates advise that a confirmed booking shouldn't be made until the visa is issued.

The check list, http://www.ambbangkok.esteri.it/NR/rdonlyres/A1B01309-638C-4253-905F-5DDC149C08F0/0/CHECKLIST.doc also advises that proof of accomodation should be provided, I normally book a Hilton fully flexible hotel, which only requires a credit card number, and then cancel the booking when my other half has her visa, and make other arrangements.

I was looking at the sweedish website only a couple of days ago and found the same thing. Basically had to have

- paid health insurance

- confirmed accommodation

- confirmed air reservation, altho it did recommend NOT to pay for the tickets, yet everything else had to be funded (or so it appeared to me).

Thanks for the Hilton idea