Australia's Jetstar Denies Exploiting Thai Staff

webfact

While we are on the subject what about the Thais exploiting the Burmese here and in Burma?

That's different, birth rite vs. exploitation. Different discussion.

Who is it that is actually crying exploitation? Is it the thais who are employed and earning above the normal thai wage and reside in Thailand, or is it some lobby group in Australia who have no idea of the cost of living in Thailand and are comparing the wage to the Australian cost of living.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Airways are about 60-75% of that and people will do absolutely ANYTHING to get those jobs. I know a mid size public company in BKK that pays their COO about the same as that.

Let me get this straight:

Are you saying Thai Airways Cabin crew makes 60-75% of 14,000 Baht a month on basic salary? I highly doubt that...

In addition to the base salary they get paid per hour + per diem for layover days.

To get only the base salary they'd have to get zero flights the whole month.

For "Thailand based" Crew 14-17.000 baht a month is about right, it's already 5-8000 baht more then the anticipated "minimum wage" from the incoming new "democratically elected" government, the official branch of Shin Corp. so who worries?

Can anyone publish the official Thai-Airways salaries of those thailand based Crews who really work and are active part of the actual operational part of this enterprise and not just a name on the payroll?

Samuian, you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. The new DEMOCRATICALLY elected government wants to introduce a minimum wage, much to the chagrin of the filthy rich. Seems you don't like that prospect, but you also don't like the fact that a huge majority of the Thai people elected this government, whatever claims are made about money for votes. So your contorted sarcastic comment destroyed the force of your argument. But then again, you are either like the majority of posters on these forums and you don't even live in Thailand, OR you are just another overprivileged farang spouting nonsense from your laptop in your favourite Pattaya bar.

On the other hand, you might be a good guy having a bad day, so sorry I was a bit nasty... Take out the politics and you are making sense. People in this country with higher qualifications than air hostesses (teachers with a bachelor degree for example) earn way less than this and the workload is higher. A Thai teacher works all day 5 days of the week and is often expected to work overnight or through the weekend for some special preparation or event with no extra pay. He/she has to take care of a class of 40 - 60 kids and I suggest that if the airline staff have a problem with their job they walk away and look at trying this - if they can afford to make it through University first...

the anticipated "minimum wage" from the incoming new "democratically elected" government, the official branch of Shin Corp.

I get very angry with overpaid farang who have been brainwashed by their "elite" masters. Perhaps they should publish on TV how their grossly excessive salaries compare with those of Khon Thai doing the same job alongside them.

I see no earthly reason why sarcastic comments about Thailand's democratic system should enter into a discussion about an Oz company's Conditions of Employment.

IMHO the pay scales should be relevant for the country in which the employee is based, if based in BKK then Thailand pay scales, if based in Melbourne then Oz pay scales. I guess the BKK merchant bankers and financial wizards (?) wouldn't like that system though. Be paid the same as a Thai for the same work? No way!

Simple really - but then I am just a simple man living in the North East and thus cannot comprehend BKK high finance. LOL.

is that "angry" or maybe "envious"?

No, not envious at all. "Smug" rather than "envious", because my ethics do not allow me to accept a salary that could be used to pay 3 or 4 Khon Thai for doing the same job.

If I want (need?) to work I return to my own country and work as a consultant/contractor earning the same as my peers for the same job.

That is my choice, I love living in Thailand, but I continue to respect Khon Thai even with many xenophobic failings, but that is THEIR choice, THEIR country.

One thing to consider is that the thai employees may have stopovers in Australia. It is only fair that they get a higher then normal thai wage because the cost of everything in the stopover point (oz) is higher than in Thailand. I don't think it would be acceptable to give them an average thai wage and then they have to pay oz prices for food etc at a stopover.

On the face of it I have no problem with Jetstar using Thai employees to cut costs. What does annoy me is that Jetstar will still try and con the public by saying we should use the airline as it is an aussie airline. If they want to play the patriot card then employ aussies.

I've recently looked at casual labouring here and most offer $20-$25 an hour, or $760-$950 per week IF you get a 38 hour week out of it (before tax). As a casual though nothing is certain it's basically when it suits the employer they'll give you the work. I signed at one agency for this kind of work and they take this attitude that you're expected to be available for them even though they're offering no job security or guranteed hours.

$400K - $500K for a average house 20-30km from the city centre.

Lots of money in mining and the climate change racket, if you can get it.

One thing to consider is that the thai employees may have stopovers in Australia. It is only fair that they get a higher then normal thai wage because the cost of everything in the stopover point (oz) is higher than in Thailand. I don't think it would be acceptable to give them an average thai wage and then they have to pay oz prices for food etc at a stopover.

On the face of it I have no problem with Jetstar using Thai employees to cut costs. What does annoy me is that Jetstar will still try and con the public by saying we should use the airline as it is an aussie airline. If they want to play the patriot card then employ aussies.

I think that a lot of the aussie staff took the packages and jumped making way for the Thai crew.

"QANTAS has offered voluntary redundancies to all 7000 of its cabin crew in response to high oil and jet fuel prices as well as the impact of global natural disasters, it says. "

AAP <li class="date-and-time last">June 03, 201112:07AM

Edited by chooka

Most people posting on this subject have not heard the main concern was the hours both Thai and Aussie flight attendants were working some over 18 hours straight the main concern was the safety aspect it was only the union boss here who brought up the wages :)

Australia's minimum wage is Aus$590 per week

This amounts to about 75000 Baht per month.Is there someone who can confirm this as I'm interested in a low paid job in Australia in that case.

I would like to know why you would love to get a job here for that income ??? as you would be paying about ?$250 to $400 a week for rent electricity ranges between $30 to $50 a week good luck to you mATE

Any complaints about the salary are typical Thai zenophobic whinging.

The money earned is spent in Thailand, and as the article explains, is in the top percentages of incomes earned.

That is corruption free monies and still enables an extra-ordinarily high standard of living in Thailand.

The Thais are hypocritical. They exploit all their workers and pay them a pittance. People are trapped in poverty through no fault of their own. And whilst that is the norm, condoned, accepted and encourage by Thais on Thais, any opportunity to make mischief and disparage any foreign nationals is immediately seized upon.

Land of Smiles? Land of sad people.

No, not envious at all. "Smug" rather than "envious", because my ethics do not allow me to accept a salary that could be used to pay 3 or 4 Khon Thai for doing the same job.

If I want (need?) to work I return to my own country and work as a consultant/contractor earning the same as my peers for the same job.

That is my choice, I love living in Thailand, but I continue to respect Khon Thai even with many xenophobic failings, but that is THEIR choice, THEIR country.

Spoken like a man that has never worked in an average Thai office in BKK.

Very often the farang gets paid three times as much as he actually does three times as much. Just having the same job description doesn't mean the same amount or quality of work is being done. I am generalizing of course but it is true more often than not. I have many Thai employees, MANY and a few farang and they are more than worth the 3 to 4X more I pay them than the Thai staff.

Oddly enough their sisters never have motorbike accident twice a month so they have to leave to visit her at the hospital.

They don't need to eat 16 times a day and have the entire staff join them. I can't understand why my Thai staff can't figure out that if half ate lunch at 12 and half ate lunch at 1 we would always have half our staff working and customers would not need to "come back after lunch"

Also interesting how many times Thai staff needs to call IT to clean up their computers from all the virus infections and empty mailboxes stuffed with forwards from their closest 300 friends they've never met.

The list goes on and on and on.. and don't get me wrong NOT all Thai's are like the above but the vast majority are. I have a couple on staff that are outstanding, able to plan ahead, able to think about a problem critically and come up with suggestions to solve them.. and they are indeed paid far more than their layabout co-workers...

As I said having the same "job description" and "doing the same job" are two very very different things in Thailand.

Edited by YellowFeverCAD

Australia's Jetstar denies exploiting Thai staff

Why? everyone else is exploiting them. Just jump on the bandwagon. unsure.gif

Air crew basic salary is not that great. I believe they make their money from the various allowances, which end up being significantly more than their basic salary.

so True.

basic salary is not great namely due to fact that (air hostesses) get the perk advantage-(flying and traveling privilege) plus over-time and allowances to

make a very decent salary.

If the disgruntle staff aren't happy, just quit - the door is open and surely can be replaced in a heart beat.

This amounts to about 75000 Baht per month.Is there someone who can confirm this as I'm interested in a low paid job in Australia in that case.

I would like to know why you would love to get a job here for that income ??? as you would be paying about ?$250 to $400 a week for rent electricity ranges between $30 to $50 a week good luck to you mATE

Sorry for that,didn't realise that Australia was rip off country #1.

Australia's Jetstar denies exploiting Thai staff

Why? everyone else is exploiting them. Just jump on the bandwagon. unsure.gif

Air crew basic salary is not that great. I believe they make their money from the various allowances, which end up being significantly more than their basic salary.

so True.

basic salary is not great namely due to fact that (air hostesses) get the perk advantage-(flying and traveling privilege) plus over-time and allowances to

make a very decent salary.

If the disgruntle staff aren't happy, just quit - the door is open and surely can be replaced in a heart beat.

Those perks disappeared long ago. Even on legacy airlines there are blackout periods and load factor reflections that have acted to cutback on these so called perks. Keep in mind that staff can get a call at anytime and be told to show up for work. Would you like to be on call 24/7?

24H a week? For that salary? So...what is the problem?

The clock only starts ticking when the plane is ready for flight. The time leading up to departure and the non flying hours are not added in.

I recall that during my working life,loooong time ago,my pay also only started when I started the job.

Has anyone bothered to ask if employees had gun to their heads?:blink:

They do not like it, simply resign and get a job with the airline who does not exploit.

Just typical Thai mentality "give them a finger,, they want the whole hand" no comprehension what so ever.

I gave my staff 20% off daily special prices(which are already half price), some had the nerve to question why its not 50%, mind you, its on top of their free meal allowance.

i gave my staff leniency in regards to having a day off(and they get 1 day off per week), so some started shifting and changing every second day.

Business should NOT have to explain it self, do not like it-off you go and find another job.

Edited by kuffki

the anticipated "minimum wage" from the incoming new "democratically elected" government, the official branch of Shin Corp.

I get very angry with overpaid farang who have been brainwashed by their "elite" masters. Perhaps they should publish on TV how their grossly excessive salaries compare with those of Khon Thai doing the same job alongside them.

I see no earthly reason why sarcastic comments about Thailand's democratic system should enter into a discussion about an Oz company's Conditions of Employment.

IMHO the pay scales should be relevant for the country in which the employee is based, if based in BKK then Thailand pay scales, if based in Melbourne then Oz pay scales. I guess the BKK merchant bankers and financial wizards (?) wouldn't like that system though. Be paid the same as a Thai for the same work? No way!

Simple really - but then I am just a simple man living in the North East and thus cannot comprehend BKK high finance. LOL.

Spoken like a true trooper who has totally forgotten what is real and what is delusional.

Was there anything wrong to say Thai or Thai people? is that why you had to use "Khon Thai"? or did you want to show off your language skills :rolleyes:

Edited by kuffki

No use taking wages alone, for it to mean anything it has to be in the context of the Cost of living in the country concerned

Yes and factor in the cost and hassle of getting a work permit/visa. My experience is that it was a lot more hassle and time consuming to get a WP in Australia than in Thailand even though I was sponsored by the Aussie division of a large multinational

No use taking wages alone, for it to mean anything it has to be in the context of the Cost of living in the country concerned

Yes and factor in the cost and hassle of getting a work permit/visa. My experience is that it was a lot more hassle and time consuming to get a WP in Australia than in Thailand even though I was sponsored by the Aussie division of a large multinational

Hmmm, i guess i can see why it was hard, considering Oz does not have WP system at all.whistling.gif

No you're not. You couldn't afford the cost of living. House and flat rents take more than $300-400 per week. And then there's the ridiculously high cost of utilities. Have you read the latest on the rising cost of food etc in Oz? And don't forget the miserable weather. Believe me Thailand is the best place to live.

No you're not. You couldn't afford the cost of living. House and flat rents take more than $300-400 per week. And then there's the ridiculously high cost of utilities. Have you read the latest on the rising cost of food etc in Oz? And don't forget the miserable weather. Believe me Thailand is the best place to live.

Funny as. The miserable weather?

What tiny part of Oz have you visited?

Australia IS one of the world's most expensive countries right now, not helped by strong AUD, but wouldn't know if that's cause or effect of high wages... wage rates are one thing, fatigue levels in high-stress jobs are another...

i think the word is 'jealous'.

no disrespect,but a certain person seems to be gettin that 'hate falang' disease that so often occurs to the local male population in the north east!