Thai Airways Jet Blew Several Tyres

stumonster

Oh poo :o I'm scheduled on TG-981 in a few weeks, but was told the plane was an MD-11, a spare pair of undies in the carry on luggage perhaps :D

I flew on one on the direct BKK - AKL flight.MD11 must be at least 20 years old at a guess.

Thought they would have been converted to freighters by now.

:D

Nope, I was flying regularly between BKK and Sao paulo/Rio last year and flew Lufthansa to Frankfurt then Varig MD11 to Sao Paulo. not a very enjoyable 42 hours. On the hard landing subject I landed in Mumbai in 1989 on a Air canada flight that was definately the hardest landing for me, It actually hurt my back. after docking with the skyport I elected to stay on the Plane for the 45 minute layover, 15 mins later we were ushered off the plane as the hard landing had caused a small fire in the avionics bay below the first class cabin area (the fire suppression had failed). I left Mumbai 2 days later on a Turkish airlines plane to complete my flight to Singapore. The Air canada 747 (according to the engineer they had flown in for an inspection, who i chatted with over a few beers) needed over 1.5 million in repairs.

regards

Freddie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition, according to the Bangkok Post (27 October 2005, pg. 5) there was also another TG landing incident at BKK on the same day (26 Oct.) "...TG240 from Hat Yai skidded off the runway after touching down in heavy rain at Don Muang about 6:20 PM. The Airbus A300-600 had 240 people on board. No injuries were reported. The mishap was put down to a slippery runway."

I did not hear about this mishap at BKK in/from any other source.

• 2 weeks later...
A month or so ago, Air France A340 overshot the runway in Toronto, under strong "sudden crosswinds".

Now TG A-340 in Melbourne.

I am wondering, had those "sudden crosswinds" existed before A-340?

Or they don't exist only in France where the equipment has been developed?

And i'm wondering why some planes don't fall down although they are named boing? (remember: in Augus '05 almost every week somed 737's...) :o

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for posting that. looking at the FDR data, it looks like it was quite a challenging landing.

they landed with a slight tailwind component, which in a large jet is not good. any amount of tailwind in a jet makes the landing that much more difficult. not to mention that right before touch down the wind speed increased to peak at 40kts just 1/2 second before touch down. that is quite a gust of wind at a very critical time...even worse that it was a crosswind/tailwind landing.

i dont know what the max crosswind component of the a-340 is, but that sudden 40kts crosswind may have exceeded the limits.

here is an interesting video showing large aircraft doing crosswind testing. the winds are strong but steady and not gusting.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/39256/crosswinds/