Cost To Build 2 Storey Shophouse 'Shell'

I'm just trying to get a feel for the cost of:

A 2-storey building consisting of 4 equal-size rooms downstairs and 4 upstairs, (overall building width = 12 metres and depth = 10 meters, so each room = 6x5), constructed of 'it-bok', with tiled floors, walls skimmed but not painted, ceiling in place but not painted, sloping roof support framework and cement tiles in place, but no purchase/installation of electrical, plumbing items, air-con, windows etc.

IE - the structural shell of the building only, including material and labour cost.

I'm doing some calculations for construction of new buildings, and an approximate cost for the above would be helpful.

Thanks

Simon

In rural Thailand my guess is no more than 200k, but it all depends on the specification of the material you will choose, just head to your local building material store, standard cement blocks are 4 bahts each, than 50kg of cement 200-240 bahts, etc... you can easily spend even twice that only to buy some special imported marble tiles, so i guess you understand what i mean.

For a day of work, unskilled 150-200 bahts, skilled 200-350 bahts, lots also depends on how these workers will behave on site, if they just sit down to drink and smoke for 3/4 of the day it might cost you more, best thing is to supervise that work is actually being done and pay accordingly.

In rural Thailand my guess is no more than 200k, but it all depends on the specification of the material you will choose, just head to your local building material store, standard cement blocks are 4 bahts each, than 50kg of cement 200-240 bahts, etc... you can easily spend even twice that only to buy some special imported marble tiles, so i guess you understand what i mean.

For a day of work, unskilled 150-200 bahts, skilled 200-350 bahts, lots also depends on how these workers will behave on site, if they just sit down to drink and smoke for 3/4 of the day it might cost you more, best thing is to supervise that work is actually being done and pay accordingly.

200K anywhere in Thailand not possible!

JH

an example

Late2010 a friend had a single level shop-house built in Sa Kaeo province.

18m x 3m on land she already owned - building is half residence (1 bedroom) and half hairdressing shop.

Had been estimated at 300k but final cost was just over 330k - basic block/plaster and tiles construction, this was to 'ready to move in' stage, all painting complete, but minus any landscaping or concrete driveway/parking area.

Costs a bit higher than average due to extra electrical and plumbing related to the hairdressing set-up - extra sinks, lighting etc

One thing she found out late in the process was that due to the distance to nearest power pole another one was required - she had to pay all associated costs of the pole installation and for the wiring to done.

The shell as you say, with Basic construction I would say is in the 10,000 - 12,000 per sq.m range, from what you said that would be 240,000 and up

Yes you can make fancy and do up grades and the price wil change. Also location will have some to do with it.

The shell as you say, with Basic construction I would say is in the 10,000 - 12,000 per sq.m range, from what you said that would be 240,000 and up

Yes you can make fancy and do up grades and the price wil change. Also location will have some to do with it.

Something is this calculation doesn't make sense?

If the cost is 10,000THB per square meter, and his building is 240 square meters (120sqm downstairs and 120sqm upstairs). That would be:

240sqm x 10,000THB = 2,400,000THB (not 240,000)

Edited by dave111223

Something is this calculation doesn't make sense?

If the cost is 10,000THB per square meter, and his building is 240 square meters (120sqm downstairs and 120sqm upstairs). That would be:

240sqm x 10,000THB = 2,400,000THB (not 240,000)

I believe the basic construction costs suggested here should be THB 10,000 - THB 12,000 per squ. wah. At 240 squ.meters or 60 squ.wah, the total construction costs would then be around THB 600,000 which looks like a more realistic number to me.

I have been away for a while, however i am back now just to reconfirm what i previously said.

I was doing a costs breakdown list for you just 10 minutes ago and guess what? the electricity went off just for 2 seconds for no apparent reason, just enough time to make me loose all the calculations, sorry i am not going to do that again, however, from memory i recall the cost for all the "bricks" was around 20.000 Bahts, then the cement for all the sides of the walls (plastering)was something in that range too, i was about to calculate the cost for the cement and sands you need to join the bricks together but i am giving up.

All you need is a calculator and a quick trip to your local building's materials supplier, possibly check more than 1 store.

Beware of people that tell you "oh it's impossible!" and keep in mind that many expats here have an active business interest in making you believe just that (developers, estate agents, etc..), building on the cheap is more than feasible almost everywhere in the country, apart from the obvious overpriced (or simply just worth much more) areas.

Ask around for the local builders and go to check their previouses masterpieces, if you have time to supervise them, do it ! you could really save a lot with some simple and very basic research.

Thanks for all the useful info. I am based in Phuket. The last time that I built such a structure (6 years ago), the build cost for a 'finished' unit (ie, painted,tiled,fittings,electricity, plumbing etc), was all of 7,500 baht/square meter, using Issan and (legal) Burmese workers. (I avoided Phuket and farang builders like the plague...)

The structures are still in perfect condition, no issues at all with them.

I'm working on a second hotel project, and it's good to have this up-to-date information to allow me to do some budgeting etc.

Thanks

Simon

Although building is cheap.....blocks 4 baht etc..dont forget foundations and the time it takes...roofing, will you be using wood or steel frame.....a quote of 100k for a bungalow seems a little low considering the cost of just these two factions of the building....