Local Move In Bangkok

gkinbkk

Hi,

Searched the forums but nothing that seems relevant or up to date......

Need to move a houseload of furniture from downtown to Bang Na. Called a couple of moving co's but they are quoting around 15k which seems on the high side? Does anyone have a better way or a cheaper company I should look at?

It decent stuff so I dont want to entrust it to the local pickup truck driver.

Hello

Have you packed? There are several services, for example MOVING only, Packing and moving , pack - move - unpack, and it's different rate.

also, it depends on the distant as well,

I understand if you don't trust local service but one truth is, it's not always bad.

If your houseload's worth for 15K, why not then. I am not sure 15K for pick-up for truck? you have to make sure about the size of it. For example it's 15K for one time moving by truck ,

I did that for my boss in last December. let me kow if I could help for any info.

A few years ago I moved myself about 3 km within Bangkok - I have a large 4x4 and it took me a number of loads, a couple of days and a lot of effort. I didn't mind, but with the benefit of hind sight I would have chosen to use one of those moving services.

I have a couple of friends who in the past have used a moving service (within central Bangkok - for B10,000) and they say it's worth it.

A group of guys come and package everything neatly (even clothes on a transportable closet), transport and unload...

Lots of protective cardboard, lots of plastic covers for clothes etc.....

I suspect your quote of B15,000 might be for the 'full service' and if so, from Central Bangkok to Bang Na that's a reasonable quote....

Edited by richard_smith237

The easy thing to do is get your Thai partner to walk out onto any main soi and look at the telephone poll. She will see a small poster usually with a phone number with Thai text that says movers. Get her to call them and negotiate.

Difficult to say without knowing the volume - but it sounds quite reasonable if it includes packing, transport and unpacking.

Been here 10 years+ and moved house several times - and always ended up paying a lot more than that.

I was expecting around 10k.

We have moved most of it out in the car so its really only the sofa, TV, lounge, dining, beds x3 and whitegoods.

I called a company called JVK and when I asked if someone could come out and look they said 'no, its a flat rate in BKK for 15k'

Going to look elsewhere, the telephone pole idea is a good one....

The easy thing to do is get your Thai partner to walk out onto any main soi and look at the telephone poll. She will see a small poster usually with a phone number with Thai text that says movers. Get her to call them and negotiate.

Assuming I'm a bloke with a Thai partner of course!!

Well if you dont have a Thai partner (male or female), I assume you might know somebody that is Thai that can look around for you. BTW, I know a few farangs with male Thai partners including on rather Blueish member on this board. So don't assume I was assuming!!!

Well if you dont have a Thai partner (male or female), I assume you might know somebody that is Thai that can look around for you. BTW, I know a few farangs with male Thai partners including on rather Blueish member on this board. So don't assume I was assuming!!!

The telephone pole is only good if you're (or you have somebody who is) prepared to 'interview' the guy who advertises there.

In my case, I moved from Ladprao to Nong Khai, 1 very full pickup load, for 8000 baht. Of course, I packed everything myself; the 8K was just for transport. I had a couple of estimates, from 7500 to 10K, and, in the end, chose the 7500 guy, based not on price, but on his arriving when he said he would to estimate the job, and his general demeanor. Even so, he tried to re-negotiate as were were loading, which I have found is quite common. In the end, I gave him an extra 500 baht at the end of the trip, because he worked hard to get there quickly, and helped us carry everything inside.

I took digital photos of him, his ID card and driver's license. I also packed a GPS-enabled phone, with tracking software near the top of the load, and watched him all the way. Gotta protect what's yours.

If you pack your own stuff, I'd say 5K tops should get you across town, no hassles.

The telephone pole is only good if you're (or you have somebody who is) prepared to 'interview' the guy who advertises there.

In my case, I moved from Ladprao to Nong Khai, 1 very full pickup load, for 8000 baht. Of course, I packed everything myself; the 8K was just for transport. I had a couple of estimates, from 7500 to 10K, and, in the end, chose the 7500 guy, based not on price, but on his arriving when he said he would to estimate the job, and his general demeanor. Even so, he tried to re-negotiate as were were loading, which I have found is quite common. In the end, I gave him an extra 500 baht at the end of the trip, because he worked hard to get there quickly, and helped us carry everything inside.

I took digital photos of him, his ID card and driver's license. I also packed a GPS-enabled phone, with tracking software near the top of the load, and watched him all the way. Gotta protect what's yours.

If you pack your own stuff, I'd say 5K tops should get you across town, no hassles.

The other option is try your office - usually the messenger types can do or know someone who can do it quite cheaply. (Yes< I am assuming the op may work in an office or knows someone who does - male or female :rolleyes:)

Edited by bkkjames

I was expecting around 10k.

We have moved most of it out in the car so its really only the sofa, TV, lounge, dining, beds x3 and whitegoods.

I called a company called JVK and when I asked if someone could come out and look they said 'no, its a flat rate in BKK for 15k'

Going to look elsewhere, the telephone pole idea is a good one....

on most sois there are pickup trucks with phone numbers on them. they and their drivers are for rent.

I have used these in the past with a few motorcycle guys to shift the big stuff, the caveat here is that you do your own packing and suffer any damages that may occur.

two moves of mine in this fashion worked out well for about 5k all in with a couple of trips, your experience may differ.

I have move 6 times in 12 years, used the phone poll and better yet, company messenger/friends.

Yes you have to pack yourself but paid no more than 4k each time. Did anything get dinged, I am sure something did but I was only moving across the city, not the world. Pack your precious items properly and save the money for a holiday in phuket etc. To each their own I guess.

Find a local recycling shop, buy some boxes and tape and pack most of the stuff yourself.

Walk out to your local motorcycle queue. Tell them you need 4 guys and a 6 wheel truck. Offer 300 - 500 baht per person depending on the job. They'll know how to get a 6 wheel truck. Cost you between 3k - 5k total.

At the far end, get another couple of guys from the local motorcycle queue to help you unload.

I've moved several times within Bangkok, and never had a problem using that model. You don't need to worry about appointments either. I ask in the morning and have always had the truck filled by early afternoon. Just don't ask the guys for help during their peak periods.

Find a local recycling shop, buy some boxes and tape and pack most of the stuff yourself.

Walk out to your local motorcycle queue. Tell them you need 4 guys and a 6 wheel truck. Offer 300 - 500 baht per person depending on the job. They'll know how to get a 6 wheel truck. Cost you between 3k - 5k total.

At the far end, get another couple of guys from the local motorcycle queue to help you unload.

I've moved several times within Bangkok, and never had a problem using that model. You don't need to worry about appointments either. I ask in the morning and have always had the truck filled by early afternoon. Just don't ask the guys for help during their peak periods.

seems we are on the same page. never underestimate the versatility and usefulness or your local motorcycle guys. from everything to home repair, gardening, plumbing, bill payments, messenger service, food pickup and delivery etc, etc, etc.

the last time i made an interesting request, they found a guy with a minivan to drive a friend with two very dogs from the airport to koh phangan. bangkok air wanted almost the price of a person for each dog. the van was 6k plus gas and ferries, and he was delighted to help.

this of course presupposes that you can actually hold a conversation with them.

My last intra-Bangkok move was about eight years ago (from Sukhumvit 22 to Sukhumvit 4). At that time I got one of the motorcycle taxi guys from in front of my destination to arrange a pick-up truck and a few of his mates to help me do the move. I don't think I paid more than 700 baht for the whole thing. Admittedly I didn't have all that much stuff and was able to get everything done in a single trip. For 5,000 baht, I think they would be willing to carry my stuff on their backs!