Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

One more from Chang Klan road.. It's getting to the level that you don't really want to drive through it anymore.

post-64232-0-81290200-1317205436_thumb.j

So I'm going to hurry up to get downtown now. With any luck I will be stuck there, meaning a great excuse to not come home tonight. ;)

Yeah - that really doesn't look that good anymore. Whoa! Night bazaar is flooded then I guess - not going there, just using it as an indicator for how bad the flooding is?

Or wait the above image is near the Rati Lanna - all the way up - or down, whatever you prefer - Chang Klan...

Going to go out check Mahidol/HD road where I have some land - according to the flood map, that area should be flooded by now. However, they claim they made some improvements to the canals around there...

Edited by nikster

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I truly don't mean to be gloomy here, but I am a bit worried about the next tropical storm that will be on coming ashore in Vietnam on Saturday (Typhoon Nesat). This storm is much larger and more powerful than the remnants of the current one, and it looks to me like Northern Thailand could get hit again with Nesat's remnants around Monday or so.

Satellite photo of SE Asia and Nesat:

http://www.weather.c...ailand+THXX0002

Nesat track:

http://www.usno.navy...ings/wp2011.gif

And then look at this, yet another one (Nalgae) tracking behind Nesat:

http://www.usno.navy...ings/wp2211.gif

I've seen a number of places that are incorrectly saying the current rain and flood situation is from Typhoon Nesat. As you say, any residual effects from Nesat won't reach here until at least Saturday.....

another good site....http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

Nawarat is out and Nakornping isn't under but the roads on the West side as soon as you get across are quickly flooding. GIve me a second and I can post a picture.

post-134571-0-81046100-1317209870_thumb.

Nakornping bridge

post-134571-0-34168500-1317209860_thumb.

South down Charoen Rat

post-134571-0-73092600-1317209849_thumb.

Looking North up Charoen Rat

Edited by CMwanderer

PTIS just sent out an email, will be closed tomorrow (as well as today), with the approach-road flooding from the local small river, but the school itself is OK so far, having raised their flood-defenses an extra meter after the local-flood a few years back.

No problems where we are ourselves, NE of Mae-Jo.

Good Luck to everyone near the river !

I've heard a new peak is expected at 2-3a.m. as water hits town from opened dams.

On Mahidol road, SE Ciang Mai, people are parking and leaving their cars in petrol stations and the like to keep them dry from what they expect will be higher water levels tonight. This was near Don Chan intersection (nr Big C). They are anticipating flooding in the area east of the Mae Ping river, approaching where the railway line runs north/south. This has been dry up to now.

If water is going at a high of 0.05 meter Per hour

base on last reading at 6 pm @ 4.77 meter

we might be looking at @ 5.17 m

hm...

the last flood on 2005 hit a high of about 4.9+

that would be an extra feet

if anyone have a better number or more info . kindly keep it updated

thanks . MY house is in Zone 7 but i worry for my friends in zone 5 and 6 which is around me.

Can't view either site with river levels. Night Bazaar is near waist level. Had to get down onto Mahidol to cross the road home, and between Chiang Mai Land and the river water was flowing onto the road, not sure if there was a khlong there overflowing or where the water was coming from. Traffic was horrific.

Just to show that this is *** NOT *** a case of "Chiang Mai" being flooded, this is 6pm at the moat.

Also shows that the people who built this town 715 years ago knew what they were doing; clearly you get flooding near the river when it bursts it's banks, but the actual town is solid as a rock!

post-64232-0-64798600-1317213757_thumb.j post-64232-0-90859700-1317213751_thumb.j

but the actual town is solid as a rock!

Would this include Chang Klan Rd?

Let me repeat this with the benefit of the entire post in context:

Just to show that this is *** NOT *** a case of "Chiang Mai" being flooded, this is 6pm at the moat.

Also shows that the people who built this town 715 years ago knew what they were doing; clearly you get flooding near the river when it bursts it's banks, but the actual town is solid as a rock!

post-64232-0-82190300-1317214409_thumb.j post-64232-0-78372100-1317214413_thumb.j

Clearly this refers to the old town, within the moat. There was no Chang Klan / night bazar 715 years ago. Duh.

Actually everything West of the Mae Kha stream / Kamphaeng Din Wall is fine.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai