Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just checked the flood plane map and the area around Varee School is not supposed to get wet until the river level gets to 4.20m. That's only 16cm from the present water level taken at 11am, if the flood maps are correct. I'm in BKK and so had my assistant call the school at 9am this morning and was told "No problem" here and no problem for your son going home to Hangdong this evening after school. Any other Varee parents here with more info than I have?

As I see it Varee will be flooded when the level will be at 4.60 m (level7. At 1200 it was 4.22m.

I just had the assistant call to the school again and was told they are still fine, but if it starts to flood they will send the kids home. I have a van that has to bring him to the Samoeng/canal road, this may be an interesting day!

Looks like the Hydro page is down. Maybe it did not like the influx after Thaivisa's breaking news msg?

If it is reasonable to expect the levels in San Sai and at Nawarat Bridge to follow each other with some delay, then the peak should be reached around 3-4 PM.

Looks like the Hydro page is down. Maybe it did not like the influx after Thaivisa's breaking news msg?

If it is reasonable to expect the levels in San Sai and at Nawarat Bridge to follow each other with some delay, then the peak should be reached around 3-4 PM.

When San Sai peaks, Nawarat Bridge normally does the same 2 - 3 hours later.

1pm reading is 4.40 for Nawarat

What is the critical level?

Depends where you are. If you look at the pdf map in an above post you can see that at 4.30 6 out of the 7 zones are flooded already and it only has to get to 4.60 to flood zone 7.

Thanks, I seem to be in zone 7 (Padet).

Edited by Semper

Useful links:

Attachment for flood plain map (approx 1MB)

Current water levels at Ban Mae Tae and Nawarat Bridge. We generally peak here in town about 6 hours after the peak in Mae Tae, and Mae Tae is still rising, albeit only 3cm in the last hour. In the last 6 hours, 90cm there, and from experience (at lower levels of course), a very rough guess would put us at 4.60m-4.70m by 6 this evening.

Thanks for the map, but i cant get the other link to work.

All i get is some error message about access. EDIT: Just saw the other post about the link

P.S. Just called Little Stars near Niman and they recomend anyone on the other side of the river to pick up their kids now.

Thanks

Edited by AndersSN

Yeah, the 2 monitored areas by the hydro-1 website were all flashing red and well above flood stage and max flow levels right up until about 15 mins ago when they went offline - ie giving me/ us the 'access denied' message. I take it as a bad sign when the flood warning site refuses to let me know. Or perhaps they're under water now themselves ?

I just checked the flood plane map and the area around Varee School is not supposed to get wet until the river level gets to 4.20m. That's only 16cm from the present water level taken at 11am, if the flood maps are correct. I'm in BKK and so had my assistant call the school at 9am this morning and was told "No problem" here and no problem for your son going home to Hangdong this evening after school. Any other Varee parents here with more info than I have?

As I see it Varee will be flooded when the level will be at 4.60 m (level7. At 1200 it was 4.22m.

Varee won't flood. The flood plain map is very nice and all, but any recently development (such as Varee school) will sit on raised land, just like the main roads.

Your main point of concern should be traffic jam, caused by people wanting to have a good look at the river from the bridges. (Or who want to drive under the bridge but but can't)

I will pick up a kid from Varee today but I won't get caught in traffic. I have a plan. ;)

Of course you take the the small road at the back which is not on raised land. By the way, Varee has been flooded a few years ago.

For those interested, the level at navarat bridge at 1400 was 4.52 m.

Yeah, the 2 monitored areas by the hydro-1 website were all flashing red and well above flood stage and max flow levels right up until about 15 mins ago when they went offline - ie giving me/ us the 'access denied' message. I take it as a bad sign when the flood warning site refuses to let me know. Or perhaps they're under water now themselves ?

As of last update a few minutes ago

post-7622-0-32405000-1317195553_thumb.jp

The little sois leading up to Mengrai bridge were flooded over knee deep an hour ago (on the west side). The bridge was still passable but very near to overflowing. Lots of people just standing there and watching. Seems like they are handing out sandbags on the Lamphun road (the one with the old trees), at the cemetery (about 200 m north up the road from Tesco express / gas station, but there was a crowd and I have no clue how organised it is.

The Ping River at the bridge to Mae Ngat Dam peaked about 2 PM. We just got back from Bann Pao which is 10 km further north and the level there has dropped 30 cm since this morning. (This is a very narrow section of the river and the road took a bit of erosion damage from the water flowing over it. It is dry now.) Looks like the tail end of the pulse is between Ban Pao and the road to Mae Ngat Dam at this point. Lots of water to still head toward Chiang Mai unfortunately.

The valley below Mae Taeng has continued to fill during the day. Rather amazing to see the flood absorption capability of farm land. I don't think the waters will start to recede for a long time base on how much water is up here. Also, the valley in Mae Taeng is about 1.5 meter below where it was in 2005. Another day of rain and it might have been a different story.

anyone remembers / knows what the level was in 2005? still a foot or two to go? would be useful for comparison. from the figures it looks like sandbags will be needed soon around here. thanks

4.9 meters+

Background of 2005 floods - gazlannathai

I do remember flooding quite a ways up Loi Kroh but can't remember which year. Hope it doesn't effect Winnie's plans. :D