What Is Cheaper In Thailand Than Uk?

helpplease

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its off topic but its much better to bring in quality goods from the UK to Thailand Ive saved heaps doing this. Example Hansgrohe tap talis-s2 Thailand 10250 baht, import form Germany to Uk and fly over with it in my bags cost 4500 baht

Edited by travelmann

Yes if you don't smoke...life is cheaper in the UK...especially if ya don't work either! laugh.gif

Really???????

Have you seen the price of the Council Tax, Water/Sewage charges, Energy Bills, Petrol, Booze, etc................... Need I continue?

Thailand is way cheaper to live,

G-Strings, Thongs or T-Back knickers, whatever you call them, are much cheaper in Thailand. You can get them in the markets for 3 for 100 baht. 5 quid each in the UK. Mind you, I've never found any that fit me...

Edited by eyebee

Sorry to be a party pooper but I don't agree I had a great deal in the Ko San Rd got me a spanking good Rollex for 20 Quid that's got to be a lot cheeper than the UK's Matalan. laugh.gif

Edited by a99az

To those suggesting foodstuffs, it should be pointed out that foodstuffs will be confiscated by UK customs if found.

Meat and animal products are banned. So are live plants. But I think you can bring in dried herbs/spices and sauces etc, right?

It's complicated, and depends on where the stuff originated from. I tried following the links from the HMRC link I posted earlier, but they just lead me round in circles; first to DEFRA, then DirctGov, another DirectGov page, back to DEFRA and then back to HMRC...:angry::annoyed::realangry: .

I guess the only advice is; if in doubt, go through the red channel.

I'm really biting my lip here, desperately trying to avoid bringing certain horticultural professions into the debate - but let's just conclude that Thailand is not as cheap as people tend to believe. Thanks everyone.

I'm really biting my lip here, desperately trying to avoid bringing certain horticultural professions into the debate - but let's just conclude that Thailand is not as cheap as people tend to believe. Thanks everyone.

I find Thailand real cheap, if i check how much im paying for electric here and how much i would be paying in Holland its a big difference. Not to mention all the taxes for the various government organizations.

Food.. way cheaper here.. accommodation.. load cheaper. Girls .. if your into that.. lots cheaper.. fishing.. my personal favorite.. lot more expensive because its all fishing lakes here. Gym memberships.. hmm around the same price..

Computer stuff.. same price. labor.. way cheaper.. Internet.. more expensive.. But here at least you can live cheap if you want. At our home countries that is not possible.

... I am shipping back household effects, so I have quite a bit of space (since a lot of the costs in sea freight are all fixed costs) 'Personal Effects' are free from import duty as long as they really are my personal property. I am not looking to dodge the import tax, just trying to shop smart.

What about rice? Fill up all empty space in your shipment with good quality rice; when asked about it act stupid, say you just put the rice in as a shock absorber :whistling: .

... I am shipping back household effects, so I have quite a bit of space (since a lot of the costs in sea freight are all fixed costs) 'Personal Effects' are free from import duty as long as they really are my personal property. I am not looking to dodge the import tax, just trying to shop smart.

What about rice? Fill up all empty space in your shipment with good quality rice; when asked about it act stupid, say you just put the rice in as a shock absorber :whistling: .

Do that and you will not have to act stupid.

Fish Sauce is cheaper in Thailand. When I go back home for a holiday next year, gonna take Lobo sauces with me, fish sauce and a few other sauces so my wife can cook when we are at my Mum's place.

Coming back the suitcase is gonna have the huge jar of Marmite in it, as well as some Nike or Adidas trainers from Clarks Village in Street. As well as Whittard Teas, which are 5GBP each (but 2 get 3rd free) in Thailand 695Baht each.

Edited by beano2274

To those suggesting foodstuffs, it should be pointed out that foodstuffs will be confiscated by UK customs if found.

Meat and animal products are banned. So are live plants. But I think you can bring in dried herbs/spices and sauces etc, right?

It's complicated, and depends on where the stuff originated from. I tried following the links from the HMRC link I posted earlier, but they just lead me round in circles; first to DEFRA, then DirctGov, another DirectGov page, back to DEFRA and then back to HMRC...:angry::annoyed::realangry: .

If in doubt you go through the Green channel and hope to not get stopped,if you do then you try and explain that you was not sure about the goods and thought that they were ok,its the chance you take.

If in doubt you go through the Green channel and hope to not get stopped,if you do then you try and explain that you was not sure about the goods and thought that they were ok,its the chance you take.

Absolutely. Only a mug would take the red channel at Heathrow...what's the worst that can happen?

Free board and lodging and a PS3...decent chance of ensuite facilities and a swimming pool these days as well! biggrin.gif

Try Chatuchack market in BKK, many things cheap there.

from North Bus station to Ekkamai, 117 baht sky train (BTS) right outside bus station, direct to the market 40 baht, very easy and no hassle of BKK traffic, same route back.

Do that and you will not have to act stupid.

Tell the silica gel is too expensive and rice does the same thing cheaper.

It is all a bit vague and circular. I did find this. It's not as detailed as it should be, but I guess I could use it as a defence that I was trying to follow their rules:

http://customs.hmrc....MCE_PROD_010856

Bum squirter's are great if they can be fixed to the system.

I really miss these when I visit non bum squirting countries.sad.gif

It took me nearly an hour to realise what you were talking about. My mind went off in a number of unpleasant directions as to what 'bum squirters' could mean

'horticultural'? Like, gardeners?

Rice seems to be allowed to be imported (as long as you declare it) (search for 'Bringing fruit, vegetable and plant products into the UK') - however, I don't think you are allowed to export it from Thailand without a special license.

This post got me thinking about what I bring the UK to Thailand. From UK I bring shoes and good quality work shirts as both are expensive in Bangkok.

Also - mobile phones are cheap in UK if you can find a good deal with a pay as you go SIM. Samsung Galaxy (equivalent to a cooper, but different name) in UK for under 4000 THB.

On my trips from Thailand to UK I take silk and those small handbag mirrors as family gifts .... but nothing else seems worth the effort.

One item that has occurred to me: DVD player.

We bought ours in Thailand; not because they are cheaper (they're not) but because it is virtually impossible to find a DVD player in the UK that will play VCDs.

'horticultural'? Like, gardeners?

Don't get me started.

Do that and you will be reminded that all the information from HMRC says take the red channel if unsure!

I was at LHR T3 in April and customs officers were randomly stopping about 25% of those going through green.

Declare something that you didn't need to and you'll be sent on your way with a smile.

Found with something you should have declared but didn't; at best long delays,confiscation of the goods, possible large fine.......................

The choice is yours.

Yes if you don't smoke...life is cheaper in the UK...especially if ya don't work either! laugh.gif

Really???????

Have you seen the price of the Council Tax, Water/Sewage charges, Energy Bills, Petrol, Booze, etc................... Need I continue?

Thailand is way cheaper to live,

All of what you mention above is pretty relative, isn't it?

Booze, for instance - you're not talking about red wine or champagne, are you? Naa, I didn't think so.

Most of the answers are from people who have liived in LOS too long, I had an unfortunate visit to the UK last week. Cigarrettes 300baht, pint of beer 150baht, one mile taxi ride 250baht, 12 mile bus fare 250baht.

I know these can't fit into you suitcase however I think a lot of expats would be astounded by the prices in the UK.

If you want to take something back take a 22kg drum of diesel on the plane.:huh:

Couldn't be bothered reading all posts but the UK is in general a lot cheaper than Thailand. Exceptions are accommodation, tobacco and fuel. Pretty much anything the Government can take a tax from. I didn't include alcohol because buying beer (not so much top shelf)is inexpensive indeed - especially from supermarkets ... buying in pubs are an exception. Pretty much 50-60p/pint/bottle from the supermarkets with their deals can be found every day.

The times of Thailand being inexpensive are nowadays a big fallacy! Thailand has caught up with and in some cases overtaken the western world. Sure in Nakhon Nowhere, a large Singha will be B55ish - the same as if not more expensive than the UK!!

How much have you paid for a beer tonight? B50 = £1, B100 = $2, B150 = £3 etc ....... the tourist areas are charging up to B200+ for a small beer.

So ... in general, cheapest beer in Thailand starts at around B45/bottle

UK 50p/B24/bottle

Work it out. (I work in beers!)