Fcr For Frogs

Started a small frog farm just as a hobby and they are ready for the market in just a few weeks. Much of try and error and didn't know how violent frogs could be. Now I have to sort out every week so they are about the same size staying together in the boxes otherwise the big ones just kill the small.

Concerned if this is due to lack of food. Have about 2000 kg of frog and feeding 2% or 40 kg every day. Figures from FRC Tilapia. Anyone with experience out there.

Cheers

Maipasathai

Yes frogs are violent, I was amazed too at how big frogs can get eaten by slightly larger frogs. I think it happens even if you overfeed, they just can't help themselves. I have been bitten by the frogs too, my wife had one clamp on her finger and by the time we got it off it had drawn blood.

What size of boxes are you using?

The concrete boxes are 4x3 meter. Some frogs I have moved to a pond as it was just to many frogs in the boxes. It's very much a "learn as you go".

Maipasathai

Very interesting, it is one of my to do things when I move to Thailand.

Is it pssible for you to post some photo's perhaps.

Did you just have one breeding pair?

How long sice mating upto the stage your at?

How big is the market for these frogs?

Good luck.

The concrete boxes are 4x3 meter. Some frogs I have moved to a pond as it was just to many frogs in the boxes. It's very much a "learn as you go".

Oh I see, I thought you were raising them in small cooler sized boxes. I have seen this done and it seems to sort out the cannibalism, but it is a lot more work. I am using 4x3 concrete pens like you are, Currently I have only a few frogs, because someone wanted to do catfish :bah: but I plan to start up again next season. I will also give the small box concept a try.

Maipasathai

Very interesting, it is one of my to do things when I move to Thailand.

Is it pssible for you to post some photo's perhaps.

Did you just have one breeding pair?

How long sice mating upto the stage your at?

How big is the market for these frogs?

Good luck.

This is my first year so didn't have any breeding pair but just bought tads. This year I can save to have breeding pairs but don't know if is a good idea. Tads are cheap and if I go fo breeding pairs it should be real "stallions". As I said before this is a learn as you go. Hope somebody can give me advice.

3 to 4 months will make it to market able size. Thai want them at 3 to 4 frogs for a kilo. As far as I have read and understood they can groove for years but at that size nobody wants them. At the moment people are eager to buy them but it's more like 5 to 6 for a kilo so I just wait. I sell per kilo so just let them grove.

The market seems to be big enough. I plan to sell straight from the farm but missus also have done same marketing at several "talads" and we have orders enough to sell everything. The thing is if we go for the markets the price/kg is 40 bath less.

Oh I see, I thought you were raising them in small cooler sized boxes. I have seen this done and it seems to sort out the cannibalism, but it is a lot more work. I am using 4x3 concrete pens like you are, Currently I have only a few frogs, because someone wanted to do catfish :bah: but I plan to start up again next season. I will also give the small box concept a try.

One 4x3 box I slitted sith intention to use for breeding pairs. Thinking about to to tile the pens a it will make it easier to keep the pens cleen but my concern right now is if I feed them enough.

Funny thing about your catfish. Missus got another idea. We had the concrete boxes so she just added aeration and bought live tilapia. Now we average to sell 30 kg aday. bought for 50 baht/kg and sold for 80baht/kg. Next was my idea, why not make prawns but also there we found out we could buy for 160 baht/kg and sell for 280 baht/kg. No reason to do all the work for a few bahts when yoy can buy in the morning and sold in the evening for a better profit than the farmer raising the fish for months had! Next thing that came in was 200 ducks... have to stop missus,,,

One 4x3 box I slitted sith intention to use for breeding pairs. Thinking about to to tile the pens a it will make it easier to keep the pens cleen but my concern right now is if I feed them enough.

Funny thing about your catfish. Missus got another idea. We had the concrete boxes so she just added aeration and bought live tilapia. Now we average to sell 30 kg aday. bought for 50 baht/kg and sold for 80baht/kg. Next was my idea, why not make prawns but also there we found out we could buy for 160 baht/kg and sell for 280 baht/kg. No reason to do all the work for a few bahts when yoy can buy in the morning and sold in the evening for a better profit than the farmer raising the fish for months had! Next thing that came in was 200 ducks... have to stop missus,,,

Dear Maipasathai

Any chace of posting some photo's it would be niceto see wat your set up looks like

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Maipasathai

Any chace of posting some photo's it would be niceto see wat your set up looks like

Tony

Hi Maipasathai

Was just wondering how the frogs are doing any update?