Switching Router Off/On Remotely

Trembly

I am having to switch my wireless router off and then on again increasingly often for it to work. This I can live with (for now), but the trouble is that its in a bloody arkward place to get to.

Can I do it all from my laptop?

Thanks in advance for your replies. :jap:

You failed to identify your router (Make, Model)

But with many routers you could use your browser to access the IP address for the router and do a restart to accomplish the same thing.

Edited by BB1950

You failed to identify your router (Make, Model)

But with many routers you could use your browser to access the IP address for the router and do a restart to accomplish the same thing.

You might be able to re-boot the router remotely, but if you switch it off, you will be unable to communicate with it to turn it back on again remotely!

You should be able to do this without problems. One way could be to use Remote Desktop. If you configure the DDNS correctly you can hop on to your Desktop remotely easily by calling a hostname regardless of a dynamic IP-address. (now, I am assuming that you are using Windows) Check if your router has a setting for DDNS (most modern routers does). There are plenty of DDNS services that are free.

You should be able to do this without problems. One way could be to use Remote Desktop. If you configure the DDNS correctly you can hop on to your Desktop remotely easily by calling a hostname regardless of a dynamic IP-address. (now, I am assuming that you are using Windows) Check if your router has a setting for DDNS (most modern routers does). There are plenty of DDNS services that are free.

How will remote desktop help him to reboot his "Router" ? Could you please explain a bit ?

That's what I do if I need to reboot or reconfigure the router remotely.

I use an open source linux version of remote desktop and connect to ******@*******.com

I can now remote control my linux desktop and start a browser session

I browse to 192.168.1.1 an logon as the admin

I do most of the stuff in Linux, but it should be more or less exactly the same with windows

Questions?

I had a similar issue (router stopping and needing a reboot).

If the router has died and needs a power cycle no amount of poking, telneting or remote desktoping will be of use :(

I fixed it with a cheap timer switch, just powered off each morning at 3AM for 30 minutes (the shortest time the timer would allow).

Turned out the router was overheating, solved the problem permanently with a holesaw and small 12V fan.

If the router has died and needs a power cycle no amount of poking, telneting or remote desktoping will be of use :(

I fixed it with a cheap timer switch, just powered off each morning at 3AM for 30 minutes (the shortest time the timer would allow).

Turned out the router was overheating, solved the problem permanently with a holesaw and small 12V fan.

If the problem is malfunctioning hardware it sounds like time to spend 1000 baht on a new router...

How will remote desktop help him to reboot his "Router" ? Could you please explain a bit ?

That's what I do if I need to reboot or reconfigure the router remotely.

I use an open source linux version of remote desktop and connect to ******@*******.com

I can now remote control my linux desktop and start a browser session

I browse to 192.168.1.1 an logon as the admin

I do most of the stuff in Linux, but it should be more or less exactly the same with windows

Questions?

As most modem routers have some sort of DDNS option built into them this negates the need for a remote desktop.

However even with a DDNS option installed if the WAN connection is down then you will not be able to login anyway, no wan no remoste connection from the WAN, only from the LAN.

Crossy has a great solution above, something we use here on the office LAN too.

I'm with Crossy on this one. I use the router to be able to view my DVR / CCTV cameras remotely when the house is empty. Every now and again the router freezes for whatever reason (problem from ISP or something) and it needs a reboot to get a new IP address and start talking again. If we're away from the house we used to be screwed until we got back. The plug-in timer does the job perfectly.