Beer Lao In Chiang Mai

Swordsman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer Laos' niche is more being a palatable beer from an exotic land than anything else.

I agree. It always suprises me when beer snobs rave about it. I like it, but put it about on par with locally brewed Heineken.

Would it be considered in bad taste if I ordered a Lao beer instead of a beer Lao?

Try something like Livergard. Works a treat. And no, I'm not advertising, this is the one I use but there are plenty of alternatives out there with the same active ingredients, artichoke and sarsaparilla.

Edited by thaiphoon
URL removed.

Beer Laos' niche is more being a palatable beer from an exotic land than anything else. No particular reason to think that it's an organic product.

I don't mean for it to be organic, just free of chemicals or additives or other toxic substances. I doubt many or any beers in england are organic. It would just be nice to find a bottled beer here that is only brewed with natural ingredients. Just like many beers in britain or germany or belgium.

Federbrau brewed by Chang and is claimed to be brewed naturally under the German Brewing laws.

Beer Laos' niche is more being a palatable beer from an exotic land than anything else. No particular reason to think that it's an organic product.

I don't mean for it to be organic, just free of chemicals or additives or other toxic substances. I doubt many or any beers in england are organic. It would just be nice to find a bottled beer here that is only brewed with natural ingredients. Just like many beers in britain or germany or belgium.

Federbrau brewed by Chang and is claimed to be brewed naturally under the German Brewing laws.

bout as rare as hen's teeth these days. Shame as it's quite tasty.

Does the date on the bottle/can makes a difference?I have a friend,who regularly checks that...It can vary between 1-8 months?I know the fresher is better,but the way how it has been stored matters too(cold).With chang it probably doesn't matter,it's just sells to quick :D.

Does the date on the bottle/can makes a difference?I have a friend,who regularly checks that...It can vary between 1-8 months?I know the fresher is better,but the way how it has been stored matters too(cold).With chang it probably doesn't matter,it's just sells to quick :D.

Depends upon the beer, but below a certain temperature some proteins will start to precipitate out of solution and the beer will develop a "chill haze". That doesn't take a lot of time to happen though, probably as much risk that it would happen when you put it in your refrigerator as during the 6 months that it sat in a warehouse . Probably not nearly as much risk of that happening in Thailand/Laos as it being stored too warm. Another big enemy of beer is direct sunlight, as it cataltiyzes a reaction with the hops that has sulfer as a by product and causes a skunky taste & smell. Thing is though, a lot of people think that it having a slightly skunky taste is just the way that good beers are supposed to taste. I think that's because a number of euro imports (most conspicuously Heineken, Becks, and Stella) come in green bottles that give the beer little protection from light exposure.

I'm glad you said that! I met a german chap the other day, a very healthy one. He said the same thing about federbrau. I asked him how he knew. He simply said he could tell from his body's reactions. I know what he means, because after going without any beer for three weeks once (i wanted to see what would happen to me!), i then had my first beer; it was heineken since i have drunk this beer for years because i believed their stuff about it being a 'premium' beer. I had one big bottle and one small bottle.

The next morning i felt most strange, nothing like a hangover feeling, which would be impossible anyway after so little. It then occurred to me that my new toxin-free body was reacting to whatever chemicals and additives and toxins were in the 'premium' heineken beer. Since then i've preferred to pay less for my toxins and now poison myself with leo instead. At least i pay less for my toxic beer.

It's why i'm interested in finding out if lao is brewed naturally. I know the laotian woman in charge of the brewery spent a lot of time in france, and learned how to brew beer there.

But now you mention federbrau, and after hearing about it the other day, perhaps that's my avenue now for safe beer!

Cheers

[i know what he means, because after going without any beer for three weeks once (i wanted to see what would happen to me!), i then had my first beer; it was heineken since i have drunk this beer for years because i believed their stuff about it being a 'premium' beer. I had one big bottle and one small bottle.

The next morning i felt most strange, nothing like a hangover feeling, which would be impossible anyway after so little. It then occurred to me that my new toxin-free body was reacting to whatever chemicals and additives and toxins were in the 'premium' heineken beer.

It sounds a lot more like your body was "reacting" to alcohol after not consuming it for a few weeks. ;)

I'm glad you said that! I met a german chap the other day, a very healthy one. He said the same thing about federbrau. I asked him how he knew. He simply said he could tell from his body's reactions. I know what he means, because after going without any beer for three weeks once (i wanted to see what would happen to me!), i then had my first beer; it was heineken since i have drunk this beer for years because i believed their stuff about it being a 'premium' beer. I had one big bottle and one small bottle.

The next morning i felt most strange, nothing like a hangover feeling, which would be impossible anyway after so little. It then occurred to me that my new toxin-free body was reacting to whatever chemicals and additives and toxins were in the 'premium' heineken beer. Since then i've preferred to pay less for my toxins and now poison myself with leo instead. At least i pay less for my toxic beer.

It's why i'm interested in finding out if lao is brewed naturally. I know the laotian woman in charge of the brewery spent a lot of time in france, and learned how to brew beer there.

But now you mention federbrau, and after hearing about it the other day, perhaps that's my avenue now for safe beer!

Cheers

Well let us know if Federbrau turns out to be beneficial to your heath. I have in the past heard some Brits who are apparently very particular about what they drink say that it tasted just like the ales that they used to drink back home. So evidently it's not just Chang in a green bottle.

[i know what he means, because after going without any beer for three weeks once (i wanted to see what would happen to me!), i then had my first beer; it was heineken since i have drunk this beer for years because i believed their stuff about it being a 'premium' beer. I had one big bottle and one small bottle.

The next morning i felt most strange, nothing like a hangover feeling, which would be impossible anyway after so little. It then occurred to me that my new toxin-free body was reacting to whatever chemicals and additives and toxins were in the 'premium' heineken beer.

It sounds a lot more like your body was "reacting" to alcohol after not consuming it for a few weeks. ;)

To believe that one would need to believe that alcohol is a toxin.

The word intoxication comes from a Latin word, intoxicare, which means "to poison."

http://peer.tamu.edu/curriculum_modules/cell_biology/module_2/hazards.htm

Why is alcohol a toxic, or hazardous, substance?

Alcohol is attracted to cell membranes, and it concentrates there. When it reaches nerve cell membranes, the alcohol can change the function of nerve cells and thus affect behavior. This change in behavior is commonly called intoxication.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Slight deviation.

Why do farang's call the country Lao and not Laos?

Blame the French for that one. They changed the name to Laos as they had their eyes on all the land of the Lao people, ie the Isaan area west of the Mekong having grabbed the eastern side.

Slight deviation.

Blame the French for that one. They changed the name to Laos as they had their eyes on all the land of the Lao people, ie the Isaan area west of the Mekong having grabbed the eastern side.

I blame the French for everything! wink.gif

bout as rare as hen's teeth these days. Shame as it's quite tasty.

Federbrau is available in Tesco Express in either the small can or 650ml bottle, and is better than most but Beer Lao benefits from the fact that it's largely owned by Carlsberg and has the all important ingredient, imported European hops.

Hops seem to be completely absent from Chang, Singha etc, hence the reason they taste as good as that old rice beer Bud.

Edited by NxaiPan

Hops seem to be completely absent from Chang, Singha etc, hence the reason they taste as good as that old rice beer Bud.

"there's more hops in Ben Trueman"

When I hear 'hops' I always think of so called hop picking holidays in Kent.

Slight deviation.

The French did indeed later "annex" a sizable amount of land on the opposite bank while the British were busy on the western border with Burma.

Edited by Mapguy

• 2 months later...