I Already Have Cbr 150 But I Want Some More So Where Do I Go

uppalux

I have new 2011 CBR 150 for 7 months now whice is nice and sweet machine reliable , swifty enough around the town and economy gas consumption (40-35 km/l).

Take a look again , I just want a bigger tires for safer braking and cornering .

100 front and 130 back is just ridiculous compare to it's body size.

I don't ride fast . 120 -130 is fast enough for me so I won't need Ninja. (well if I COULD have one , I would)

but what I do want is a bigger tire and a little more torque (I often do mountain climb and sometime 150 just need a more 'twist' to get out of the corner and at some slope it feel unresponsive even I use a right rev to give a maximum power , I don't like that feeling .it's like I'm straining my bike.)

but come to consider

I want it sucks as little gas as possible (ninja 27 - 22 , cbr 250 33 - 28 ) but still more torque ( hell me!)

I want a better lowerpart bigger rims and tires ,a better braking system eventhough I usually just ride at 80 - 120.

IF I stay here , use this 150 I can do some mod and upgrade (20000- 30000 thb)

enkei 3.5 double disk front

enkei 4.5 rear

bigger disk and more pot pump on both front and rear

and a cb400 swing arm whice all of this weight less than the stocks , Way

and a better tire maybe I can put bt039 or bt03rs

and may be a new modded ECU

since these are lighter , all this may give me 130 with no effort and 155 with some push and still consume around 35 km/L

(current top is 135 and this takes LONG road , and normal cruising speed is just 100)

but sometimes , IF it's 250. (more 20000 thb for non abs)

I ask my brother and friends about this Idea they just say "are you nuts ? "

"just sale this thing , grab your money and walk to Mr honda , he'll grant your wish with that brand new 250 , without mod the hell out of your 150 and That may get worse in time"

well that's true but ...

I don't need that much speed . (much - yeah ... far less than Ninja)

But what concern me is the gas cost whice keep rising . (I will have to spend more 1.2 - 1.3 times on gas)

and maintenance cost would be something higher than 150 maybe 1.5 or 2 times.

I have tried CBR 250 , in a honda showroom .do a little circle ride so I don't really know what's the engine potentially can do. and they won't let me get this thing out of showroom to the highway or Doi suthep to hit the top.

IF it's ninja 250 (almost 70000 more for new one and some 40000 for good second handed)

I'm sure it's good but .. yeah , 27 - 22 km/l is almost 2 times than my 150 !

and it's rim and tire still 110 and 130 whice I still have to install ER6 rear rim and pay more 25000!!

the maintenance cost would be 2 times so I may cut this Ninja choice out .

I just want some opinion post this at several place but not so many reply , so I wish thvisa could give me some good advice .

If money is a concern whatsoever: don't buy a big bike, the upfront money is just the beginning.

If money is of no concern: also easy, -Cubic is King.

There is also the issue of getting your bike fixed out in nowhere, anyone can fix a phantom in a heartbeat, but few can fix a big bike, and it will also take time to import from SG or wherever,

that's beside the fact it cost 10x more.

If money is a concern whatsoever: don't buy a big bike, the upfront money is just the beginning.

If money is of no concern: also easy, -Cubic is King.

There is also the issue of getting your bike fixed out in nowhere, anyone can fix a phantom in a heartbeat, but few can fix a big bike, and it will also take time to import from SG or wherever,

that's beside the fact it cost 10x more.

Cbr 150 , 250 and ninja 250 are not a bigbike .

and It's all made here . Not to worry about parts

and about repairing I can quite of a repair , changing a piston , flush all system , wire and electric

even Honda have a crap mech I can still done it myself

Kawasaki have a well train mech so I don't even have to look.

If you want a little bit more and you're on a very tight budget then get the CBR250. Good value for money. Loads of 'nearly new' ones in the various classifieds right now (can't imagine why!)

If you want something that you won't sell in another 7 months get a Ninja 250 or one of the Kawasaki 650 derivatives. The more you spend, the more fun you will have.

If you want a little bit more and you're on a very tight budget then get the CBR250. Good value for money. Loads of 'nearly new' ones in the various classifieds right now (can't imagine why!)

If you want something that you won't sell in another 7 months get a Ninja 250 or one of the Kawasaki 650 derivatives. The more you spend, the more fun you will have.

I'm not that tight but just want it to be valueable . as I will use it daily it would have to be "all around"

Ninja sure will cover all my need I won't sell it for quite a years but again it cost 2 times the upfront pay (I'll have to go for 2nd hand around 100000 should do)

Just try and find a good deal on a new or used Ninja 250 or CBR 250.

Bigger tires are nice but smaller tires heat up faster so give you more grip faster and they accelerate quicker.

About the tire emmm yeah that's right

but as I live in CM and as it's usually wet even not in the rain season , more tire sureface give me 'confidence'

accelerate quicker ... yeah . but gain some lose some , I'll let that aside (have to live with it :ermm:)

I understand the tire thing, I put bigger tires on my scooter because the stock ones were really bad in the wet.

If you can get bigger, good, but more importantly than the size is the quality of the rubber in the tire.

If you get a sport touring Pirelli, Michelin, or another top brand, you'll have noticeably better wet traction.

I could easily skid my stock front tire (on dry roads) but now with a Dunlop TT900 on the front of the Nouvo, it's not possible to skid anymore, it just stops.

Even getting a smaller quality rubber tire is better than a bigger crap rubber tire, but you get the idea.

It's the quality, not the size that matters (that's not what she said :-)

I have the same tires as the Ninja250/CBR250 on my DTracker and they're peg scraping good at 22Psi in the dry.

When it rains, I just ride slow as any sane person should.

I agree tires make a big difference.

CBR250 sounds perfect for your needs, especially if you're concerned with gas mileage.

If you forget all about gas mileage for a moment, go for a 650, any new-ish Kawasaki will do. Versys is the best in terms of torque and ease of riding. And prepare for 16km/l ;)

Edited by nikster

Want torque, get the CBR250R.

Does the ninja even have more torque than the CBR150? Probably marginally, with hell of a lot more porkiness. Torque to weight and your CBR150 beats the 'ninja' already, so not much point downgrading to an anemic 'ninja'.

Though there's plenty of 'ninjas' available in various classifieds, usually with only 3 or 4 thousand km on them. Guess that's 3 or 4 thousand more km of embarrassment than the owners wanted.

The great CBR250R seems to fit your needs perfectly. :jap:

Edited by hehehoho

I think its going to be hard for you to sell that Fi CBR 150 to new and expensive for the secondhand market. Try a 44t rear sprocket first, or a 14/42 combination. If its not enough, i'd then do a 66-68mm high compression piston (stock is 63.5mm) this will be the easiest mod, other than a more expensive CDI.

Edited by KRS1

I guess I am lucky, I have all 3 CBR150, 250, and Ninja

My CBR 150 is all stock except a +2 tooth front sproket. Straight from the factory I was always able to go 142 kph and down hill under the right conditions, slightly more. And I always get 45 or 46 km/l Not sure why yours is lower "consumption (40-35 km/l)." but one of my buddies is not so fast either.

Take a look again , I just want a bigger tires for safer braking and cornering. Think better not bigger

100 front and 130 back is just ridiculous compare to it's body size. The old CBR150 had a 90 front and 100 rear

Clearly the 250 is a step up and better than doing all the mods that you say and yes loosing km/l

I want it sucks as little gas as possible (ninja 27 - 22 , cbr 250 33 - 28 ) but still more torque My ninja never gets below 35 and usually on the road doing 100 kph gets 40 km/l Slightly better than the cbr 250

The CBR 250 is a step above the 150 in power and torque with only a slight loss in km/l The Ninja is 2 steps up from the CBR 250 but yes, is nearly 50,000 more and double than the CBR150 How much do you want to pay for play ?

Service cost is really the same for the CBR 150 and 250 except the tires are maybe 5% more. The ninja is nearly close but maybe 10 - 15 % more for service cost due to its twin engine

I have tried CBR 250 , in a honda showroom .do a little circle ride so I don't really know what's the engine potentially can do. and they won't let me get this thing out of showroom to the highway or Doi suthep to hit the top.

I just want some opinion post this at several place but not so many reply , so I wish thvisa could give me some good advice .

Best advice is to try them, you can sinply rent then in most areas for a day and give them a try. See what your get km/l and top sped in areas you like to ride. I am sure you will find what fits your needs best after trying each for a day

Was that the new 150fi though? The OP wants to upgrade from that.

yes, it's that new fi

I think its going to be hard for you to sell that Fi CBR 150 to new and expensive for the secondhand market. Try a 44t rear sprocket first, or a 14/42 combination. If its not enough, i'd then do a 66-68mm high compression piston (stock is 63.5mm) this will be the easiest mod, other than a more expensive CDI.

I currently use 14 / 43

bigger piston set sounds nice but I just don't want to crack open the engine just yet.

A more 20000 - 30000 km I would get it done for sure but not now as the engine is still perfect (if I am to keep this 150)

I guess I am lucky, I have all 3 CBR150, 250, and Ninja

My CBR 150 is all stock except a +2 tooth front sproket. Straight from the factory I was always able to go 142 kph and down hill under the right conditions, slightly more. And I always get 45 or 46 km/l Not sure why yours is lower "consumption (40-35 km/l)." but one of my buddies is not so fast either.

Take a look again , I just want a bigger tires for safer braking and cornering. Think better not bigger

100 front and 130 back is just ridiculous compare to it's body size. The old CBR150 had a 90 front and 100 rear

Clearly the 250 is a step up and better than doing all the mods that you say and yes loosing km/l

I want it sucks as little gas as possible (ninja 27 - 22 , cbr 250 33 - 28 ) but still more torque My ninja never gets below 35 and usually on the road doing 100 kph gets 40 km/l Slightly better than the cbr 250

The CBR 250 is a step above the 150 in power and torque with only a slight loss in km/l The Ninja is 2 steps up from the CBR 250 but yes, is nearly 50,000 more and double than the CBR150 How much do you want to pay for play ?

Service cost is really the same for the CBR 150 and 250 except the tires are maybe 5% more. The ninja is nearly close but maybe 10 - 15 % more for service cost due to its twin engine

Best advice is to try them, you can sinply rent then in most areas for a day and give them a try. See what your get km/l and top sped in areas you like to ride. I am sure you will find what fits your needs best after trying each for a day

I am so envy you to have all those.

But how can you do 40 km/l on Ninja that is so incredible.

I refer some data about real dialy life use and touring fuel consumption from ninja250thailand.com all says about 27 - 22.

If it really is that 40 km/l , I will clear out my money drawer and go grab a Ninja.

"The old CBR150 had a 90 front and 100 rear"

sorry I'm not native speaker so I don't understand the meaning this sentence

is it like "if you think yours' small , thke a better look at that old model"?

or you are trying to correct me about the tire size . I'm riding new fi model

service cost ... yeah , I will go back and take a look again.

may be it's not that much.

I forget my another concern point ... suspension

Ninja have Uni track

CBR250 have Pro link

apart form their name , they are just the same (aren't they?)

I would like to ask JeffreyMcCollum How those Unitrack - Prolink on 250 different from simple suspension on CBR150 ? when going fast around the corner , they helps?

I forget my another concern point ... suspension

Ninja have Uni track

CBR250 have Pro link

apart form their name , they are just the same (aren't they?)

I would like to ask JeffreyMcCollum How those Unitrack - Prolink on 250 different from simple suspension on CBR150 ? when going fast around the corner , they helps?

Both the CBR's and Ninja use a single shock rear suspention by their own design. I see and feel no noticable difference. Both good designs

"But how can you do 40 km/l on Ninja that is so incredible.

I refer some data about real dialy life use and touring fuel consumption from ninja250thailand.com all says about 27 - 22.

If it really is that 40 km/l , I will clear out my money drawer and go grab a Ninja."

My Ninja is my long haul bike. When I am going far, outside my area on a over nighter or longer. Riding 600+ km a day. I do tend to try to keep it at 100 - 110 kph and not flog it, I am in for the long haul. I also changed my front sproket to a 16 tooth. Lowering the RPMs 14% It use to just buzz 9000 rpm at 120 kph - Now 100 kph sees 6000 and I just go and go. If I need a real power burst I down shift1 or 2 gears for my passing or whatever. However, I again never got below 35 kpl going cross country with my Ninja before the change of sproket.