Is Road Open From Tak To Mae Sot

leininger

I was planning to bring truckload of supplies from Chiang Mai to refugees ar border south of Mae Sariang but now road closed due to floods. Do any of you guys who are local to this area know if it is possible to go through Tak to Mae Sot and then travel north from there to Burma border area near Mae Salit ? . Any help you can give is greatly appreciated as there is a bad shortage of food and medicine. Thank you.

Was in Tha Song Yang last week that's south of Salit what the 105 is like today not sure but the 105 from Tak to Mae Sot is open. Pick it up on the 1 road just south of Tak. If you can get the Mae sot police no: (Ask in Chang Mai station) give them a call they will know. C/M might even do it for you as it's for a good cause. Best of luck.

Tak - Mae Sod is mainly hills, never experienced any flooding on that road and not very likely. If memory recalls you are only crossing 1 small stream.

Hill's I think that's a bit of an under statement. Switzerland ring's a bell. But from Mai Sot up it's better. Dont know what your driving but there are NO fuel station's on the Tak to M/S bit, some 85 km, and not to many on the way to T/S/Y so fill up as and when. Tak to M/S take's about 1h 30+Min: if you dont go crazy about 2h+ the next bit that's in a car. As usual they the Thai's drive crazy, be very careful, KEEP WELL LEFT. Edited by fredob43

Thank you very much Mario and Fredob. I drive Mitsubishi triton diesel but no 4-wheel drive. Came back from last shipment through Mae Sariang and luckily made through before landslides. It is funny you say about keep left fredob because my wife who is Thai keeps complaing because I do keep way left and she thinks like most Thais you have to cross yellow line coming arounfd the turns. I will show her this email and maybe she will understand that I am not only one who believes this.

Thank you very much Mario and Fredob. I drive Mitsubishi triton diesel but no 4-wheel drive. Came back from last shipment through Mae Sariang and luckily made through before landslides. It is funny you say about keep left fredob because my wife who is Thai keeps complaing because I do keep way left and she thinks like most Thais you have to cross yellow line coming arounfd the turns. I will show her this email and maybe she will understand that I am not only one who believes this.

Maybe I'm a bit to cautious but I believe in getting there in one piece, have traveled that road more time's than enough and every other time there has been an accident of some kind. as stated it's a bit hilly with many sharp bend's, but it is also a nice pretty trip. Some of the lorry's keep to the centre of the road and they do expect you to undertake. You wont need a 4x4 the surface is good. Just allow enough time to do it in day light. Dont know how much of a load you have but I do C/M from Tak in under 3.5 hour's. From Tak to T/S/Y I would allow 4+ hour's. Loaded stick another 2 on top. So you are looking at about 10+ all told. Tip dont EVER go on the 105 at night. Food not a problem on the 1 but after that only in the main town's and at fuel station's. Well done with what you are doing and again best of luck.

Thanks again fredob you certainly know your way around. Am planning to leave Monday and if it is too late probably stay in Mae Sot before going on to TSY. Do you know any good places to stay in Mae Sot?

Dont know what you want to pay but there are lot's. One on route is the Centrum "it's on the Internet" I think it's spelt that way it's on the right just before you turn right to leave M/S on the 105 toward's TSY There's a very nice restaurant near by, If you turn right from M/S on the 105 to TSY about 1.5+ km on the left just past I delieve an Esso garage go slow and you will see a Pepsi/coke sign sorry cant remember the name but they have wonderful garden's so cant miss it, Dont forget to take your camera you'll know what I mean if you go there. And believe it or not fab toilet's by the entrance "go even if you dont want to" take a snap of them to every one does, food ok not expencive, but worth it for the outlook and to say you have been there. Open from 10am to 10 pm. Give it a look even if you dont eat there just walk round the ground's and lake's. If you go there you will see what I mean the King's Daughter dine's there when she up in M/S so cant be that bad. Just asked the G/L and she said it's called (kow maw kow fung) that's phonetic.

If you go to the T/Light's new Soi just after the Centrum turn left you will go into town turn right at next set and follow it through lot's of place's to stay and eat. It's a one way place so you go to the end do a U/Turn to come back. But if you go strait on after the U/T a few hundred MT there's another good restaurant on the end and on the left all wood with step's out front parking on the Soi near by. Just one problem Hotel wise if your loaded might have a problem parking and keeping all the goodies safe. That's why I sugested the Centrum. What you said about staying sound's a good idea. P.s. Can give you load's more good resturant's with safe parking if you want just ask. Hotel's safe that's up to you. N/B restaurant's all Thai, there are Farang/Thai one's but parking not good.

Have a safe trip.

Edited by fredob43

Just looked it up Hotel that is, and it's called Centara Mae Sot hill resort there what did I tell you Centrum pretty close what. Well the CENT bit was right. And you think I know where I'm going. But I'm spot on with the food/restaurant's. Tip dont have a drink there at night it's Pricey. They do a buffet breaky not to wonderful but at least it's in with the price. Nice pool if you fancy a dip. I think well so the G/L tell's me it was 1,400bt a night when we last stayed there, 8 month's ago. Good price for a 3.5* hotel with excelent parking. Good room's and bath if I remember right. Anyway enjoy

Thanks Fredob . Very nice of you to send such fine details and information. I think I will go just to see this toilet. Many people think I am strange of how much I appreciate good toilets, but is one of the finer things in life if you ask me. NGO pays my gas but I usually pay my own room and board, so I go for the good deals. Not exactly backpacker rooms but not the A-1 either. Mostly I like it to be clean and if it has air-con and cable tv so much the better but this is not mandatory as sometimes thuis is not available, as you know I am sure. After this trip I wills end you report of the whole situation and maybe this will be useful to others also. Thanks again.

Thanks Fredob . Very nice of you to send such fine details and information. I think I will go just to see this toilet. Many people think I am strange of how much I appreciate good toilets, but is one of the finer things in life if you ask me. NGO pays my gas but I usually pay my own room and board, so I go for the good deals. Not exactly backpacker rooms but not the A-1 either. Mostly I like it to be clean and if it has air-con and cable tv so much the better but this is not mandatory as sometimes thuis is not available, as you know I am sure. After this trip I wills end you report of the whole situation and maybe this will be useful to others also. Thanks again.

Look forward to your Update enjoy the LOO trust me on that one the best in Thailand ??????Be careful where you leave the car your on the Burma border and thing's can go missing dont stay anyware that does not have a car park. Edited by fredob43

Thank you Fredob , I will give you the debriefing when I get back. I am glad you told me about locking the vehicle. Missionary lady tells me that you can leave truck anywhere on Burma border no problem, no one will bother it. I did not really believe this but I am glad you confirm this as you are from there and so know the situation. I think she just has an optimistic view but sometimes it just pays to be careful.

Fredob and also Mario, just want to say finally leaving for Mae Sot in 30 minutes. Right after I last wrote I took sick with bronchitis and high fever. I am not much better but cannot wait any longer so finally on the way. Good news is wife driving to Tak, and after that I will take over as she is not too good on mountain roads. Problem is I am somewhat overloaded. About 480 kilos total. So slow and steady is the name of the game. Meeting the contact guy at parkinglot of centara hotel, by the way, and after that I deliver to destination so no problem with worrying about load overnight. Unfortunately I am somewhat limited in hotel as foundation is picking up the tab and only have about 600 bht to spend, so planning to stay at DK hotel. But definitely I will check out that bathroom. Thanks again and will report back tomorrow after return to CM.

Greeting fredob and mario. Back from Mae Sot and good trip thanks to your assistance. You are for sure correct about keeping to the left. On road from Tak to Mae Sot they just don't cross yellow line, they drive completely on wrong side of the road. Just missed a head-on crash at same spot where they had not cleaned up from the last had on crash. Wife drove from Chiang Mai to Tak as I have been sick with bronchitis and tried to sleep while she drove. Then I drove from Tak to Mae Sot. Good news was I just had to deliver to Karen HQ, not all the way to TSY, as they sent 4-wheel drive vehicles to bring stuff to flood victims.

We stayed at DK Hotel, which is pretty decent place with air-con and satellite tv for only 400 baht. Also a very good restaurant run by Chinese guy right next to hotel. Very good food for cheap price. They have a beautiful vintage Harley 1200 inside on display.

Only regret I have is I never got to see the bathroom you told me about. I was still sick and wife in a hurry to get back home quick so I didn't have time to check it out, but will for sure on next trip. Thanks again for the road advice.

Greeting fredob and mario. Back from Mae Sot and good trip thanks to your assistance. You are for sure correct about keeping to the left. On road from Tak to Mae Sot they just don't cross yellow line, they drive completely on wrong side of the road. Just missed a head-on crash at same spot where they had not cleaned up from the last had on crash. Wife drove from Chiang Mai to Tak as I have been sick with bronchitis and tried to sleep while she drove. Then I drove from Tak to Mae Sot. Good news was I just had to deliver to Karen HQ, not all the way to TSY, as they sent 4-wheel drive vehicles to bring stuff to flood victims.

We stayed at DK Hotel, which is pretty decent place with air-con and satellite tv for only 400 baht. Also a very good restaurant run by Chinese guy right next to hotel. Very good food for cheap price. They have a beautiful vintage Harley 1200 inside on display.

Only regret I have is I never got to see the bathroom you told me about. I was still sick and wife in a hurry to get back home quick so I didn't have time to check it out, but will for sure on next trip. Thanks again for the road advice.

Hope you get better soon. Pitty you didnt get to see all the sight's, but as you say next time. Yes know the hotel but last time I tried to stay there they only had a room for one night and I dont do changing room's for a two night stay, that's why I stayed at the Centara. At least the G/L got to see that you stay on the left on that road Crazy A. The time it take's to do 85 km over 1.5 hour's tell's you what it's like. Next time on the way back stop at the market on the 105 about 40km before you get to Tak Good fruit & veg most of it from Burma good coffee as well. Please give any update's when you do your next trip as it help's all. Best of luck with what ever you get up to regarding the Karen. Good job there are some nice Peep's about.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a message mostly for my friends fredob and mario who helped me last trip. Just returned from another run to Mae Salit. Went to 3 camps and brought toys and books for kids and also clothes. This time went route from Mae Sariang and route 105. A bit of rain but not too bad and road was clear. Only 1 near death experience going around curve. Next month going to camps north of Mae Sot and have 4 -wheel drive this time as no other way to get there. Hope you guys are well. Thanks again.

This is a message mostly for my friends fredob and mario who helped me last trip. Just returned from another run to Mae Salit. Went to 3 camps and brought toys and books for kids and also clothes. This time went route from Mae Sariang and route 105. A bit of rain but not too bad and road was clear. Only 1 near death experience going around curve. Next month going to camps north of Mae Sot and have 4 -wheel drive this time as no other way to get there. Hope you guys are well. Thanks again.

Well done on your trip's glad to hear your better go out of you way next time and visit my loo. Update please later on how your getting on. Well done with what you are doing.

Regard's.