Thai Airways Upgrade Aircraft Cabins To Attract More Passengers

webfact

Thai Airways Upgrade Aircraft Cabins to Attract More Passengers

In an effort to increase competitiveness, Thai Airways International is improving its aircraft cabin to attract more passengers.

Thai Airways Internal or TG President Piyasawat Amranan said the company is improving its aircraft cabin for the Boeing 747-400 by improving all seats and installing personal television screens at all Economy Class seats.

He said TG has invested 5 billion baht to improve 20 aircrafts, and hopes to complete the changes by October of next year.

He added that during the third quarter of next year, TG will use its newly improved aircrafts for international flights, especially for Europe, and hopes to increase the number of passengers by at least 10 to 20 percent.

Piyasawat said TG currently has about 75 percent passengers per flight, which is considered normal.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-04

footer_n.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have started years ago, they must have seen the lack of customers, and also using airlinequality.com or other blogs they could have seen the problems and acted accordingly.

Now put the prices down and some customers might use them.

75% customers per flight, cannot believe that for International flights, for national flights okay.

Edited by beano2274

Singapore Airlines had those personal screens in economy as far back as 97, hard to believe that Thai Airways is only installing them now. As a previous poster put it if they can now make their prices a bit more competitive then they might start to be more attractive, especially for those wanting direct flights to Thailand. Eva still does it for me at the moment.

Should have started years ago, they must have seen the lack of customers, and also using airlinequality.com or other blogs they could have seen the problems and acted accordingly.

Now put the prices down and some customers might use them.

75% customers per flight, cannot believe that for International flights, for national flights okay.

prices down? You have to be joking! Things like that don't happen at Thai! :lol:

they don't get it and they never will get it :rolleyes:

There are just so many better opportunities than Thai

Let me see- high prices and losing customers.

So - lets upgrade the cabins! So that the fewer customers that we have can have more comfort. Oh and by the way - we need to increase the prices to pay for this!

Duh - come on boys. Lower prices. Get more customers and then upgrade and encourage even more.

At 99,000 baht economy return to Europe from Bangkok in July - we did not even consider the cabins! We have not flownThai for about 10 years now.:(

Edited by Tropicalevo

Let me see- high prices and losing customers.

So - lets upgrade the cabins! So that the fewer customers that we have can have more comfort. Oh and by the way - we need to increase the prices to pay for this!

Duh - come on boys. Lower prices. Get more customers and then upgrade and encourage even more.

At 99,000 baht economy return to Europe from Bangkok in July - we did not even consider the cabins! We have not flownThai for about 10 years now.:(

In June I had to go back to the UK for a family matter, my agent got prices of 38750baht pp return, but my wife wanted a break and Etihad were prices at 35000.

Agents get cheaper prices than what is published on the Thai Airways website

They also need to upgrade the Thai airhostesses- they have the oldest average age team in Asia- many in their 40s and 50s- unbelievable. Especially when compared to singapore, which sells itself on the f-ckability of its air hostesses -"Singapore girl, you're a good way to fly"- got to admire that forthrightness; thats the way to attract the high value business class travelling business men!

Upgrading the cabins without an upgrade in service will mean little. I flew Thai Business Class Bangkok to Melbourne earlier this year, where the cabin crew did their normal stunt of serving a meal, then closing the curtains to the service area and re-appearing when it suited them, which was not often. I flew Jetstar Economy Bangkok to Melbourne last week and the Thai cabin crew were far more professional and attentive than Thai Airways staff.

I flew THAI to Madrid in 2006, dated decor, no seatback screens. I flew THAI again to Madrid this year, same plane exactly. In both cases, the planes were jam-packed full. The conclusion is obvious: if you can fill the planes with ancient interiors and get good revenue, then why change? THAI philosophy. About to change. So they say.

I fly Thai every week on business, not by choice, as Bkk in my hub around asia and the pacific and Thai offers me more options to get in and out, would prefer SIA anytime, flew in an A300 the other day down to KL in Business, had seats older than I could ever imagined and NO personal TV in business, the thing vibrated and rattled all the way.

Fly with T/A Not done it for the last 10+ year's and will never do it again. Have a friend that came with them a few week's ago. How was your flight I ask him at BKK Airport. Reply the biggest load of Cr*p that he had ever flown on. Bad food, service, old plane's, not one good word. EVA now there's a good set up. Well from London it is.

upgrade welcome but it only brings them up to everyone else. unfortunately like many posters i have moved from my previous 100% Thai to using airlines with a more realistic pricing structure. and why does it cost more to buy a round trip between the UK and Thailand from Thailand?

Never mind in flight entertainment. Every time I call the London office to book flights, I get treated in a condescending, patronizing manner. They act as if you should be grateful that they allow you to fly with THAI. I don't can see how they think that this will increase customer loyalty. Their prices are horrendous compared to competitors, and if you get a reasonable fare, they give you zero points on your Royal Orchid Plus card. So it's really pointless. I have swopped to the Middle Eastern Airlines, and although you have a stop over in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, at least you get friendly service on the ground and in the air.

It's sad to see how few people in one office can create so much customer dissatisfaction which ultimately harms the entire company.

Did I not read somewhere that Thai were getting newer planes for the long haul flights to Europe, now they say they are upgrading their current fleet.

They are doing both. The article only talks about the seat upgrades, which is one of the pet peaves of Khun Piyasvasti: He is fully aware that the seats and inflight entertainment system are a reason why people prefer to fly other airlines (and that includes me, ROP Gold, and a member since 1995). He has been in the job for not too long and plans to pull this through. There is a schedule which aircraft type will be upgraded in which month.

The plans to buy new aircraft are also still scheduled. He outlined all this during a business luncheon last month (or was it in June?).

It is good that THAI is now headed by Khun Piyasvasti, as he understands customer needs.

Fly with T/A Not done it for the last 10+ year's and will never do it again. Have a friend that came with them a few week's ago. How was your flight I ask him at BKK Airport. Reply the biggest load of Cr*p that he had ever flown on. Bad food, service, old plane's, not one good word. EVA now there's a good set up. Well from London it is.

Well, I came back yesterday from London on TG in Business, and my experience was the total opposite. Quite positive, indeed.

Edit: Typos.

Edited by tombkk

Never mind in flight entertainment. Every time I call the London office to book flights, I get treated in a condescending, patronizing manner. They act as if you should be grateful that they allow you to fly with THAI. I don't can see how they think that this will increase customer loyalty. Their prices are horrendous compared to competitors, and if you get a reasonable fare, they give you zero points on your Royal Orchid Plus card. So it's really pointless. I have swopped to the Middle Eastern Airlines, and although you have a stop over in Abu Dhabi or Dubai, at least you get friendly service on the ground and in the air.

It's sad to see how few people in one office can create so much customer dissatisfaction which ultimately harms the entire company.

You should complain to HQ in writing about the London staff, if that is your experience.

and why does it cost more to buy a round trip between the UK and Thailand from Thailand?

Because of market forces.

is that the same as "because they can"?

We could now discuss the basics of marketing and pricing, but that would go beyond the scope of this thread.

and why does it cost more to buy a round trip between the UK and Thailand from Thailand?

Because of market forces.

is that the same as "because they can"?

We could now discuss the basics of marketing and pricing, but that would go beyond the scope of this thread.

agreed rolleyes.gif

Did I not read somewhere that Thai were getting newer planes for the long haul flights to Europe, now they say they are upgrading their current fleet.

They are doing both. The article only talks about the seat upgrades, which is one of the pet peaves of Khun Piyasvasti: He is fully aware that the seats and inflight entertainment system are a reason why people prefer to fly other airlines (and that includes me, ROP Gold, and a member since 1995). He has been in the job for not too long and plans to pull this through. There is a schedule which aircraft type will be upgraded in which month.

The plans to buy new aircraft are also still scheduled. He outlined all this during a business luncheon last month (or was it in June?).

It is good that THAI is now headed by Khun Piyasvasti, as he understands customer needs.

I respectfully beg to differ. Seat upgrades and in flight entertainment are only a factor for those who actually get on the plane. For myself, and I am sure many others, Thai loses out every time when I compare the prices. Thai have to come to grips with the fact that it is, 9 times out of 10, cheaper for me to fly down to Singapore and then up to London on SIA, than it is for me to go directly from Bangkok to London!

The fact that SIA has better planes and better service makes it even more of a no brainer.

I too can vouch that Thai Airways craft now are crap. I have flow with numerous airlines in the last couple of years to every corner of Asia. Garuda have better seats and services that Thai now. The seats are old and dirty. The food is so so, and the general comfort level sucks. They have gone from Royal Silk to Royal Squallor...

I honestly feel they need a quality experience outside (Westerner) to lead the organization. Thai is so full of cronyism they can not see the damage they are doing from within. It goes from top to bottom. Thai people are fooled into believe Thai Air is the quality airline it once was, but with the aging fleet, aging seats and aging air hostesses, the entire organization is due for fresh blood.

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I fly domestic in Thailand quite often and used to be an avid Air Asia fan, however since their prices and 'additions' rose, they are no longer the 'budget' airline they once were.

The ticket price looks cheap online but then they add tax, baggage cost, seat allocation costs (if you want to sit with your partner) and the 'convenience' fee for the convenience of using an automated system to pay for your ticket.

Recently the ticket prices have been within 100 baht or so of Thai - so for me Thai gets the thumbs up

More legroom, a newspaper, a screen to watch during the flight, a snack-box and as much tea and coffee or juice as you can drink and much more choice of flight times.

My last flight was actually about 700 baht cheaper on Thai than flying Air Asia on the same day.

I think price is what people look at first - then on-board facilities, so at the moment Thai are certainly giving Air Asia a run for their money on the domestic market.

I think price is what people look at first - then on-board facilities, so at the moment Thai are certainly giving Air Asia a run for their money on the domestic market.

So basically you are saying that Thai, a supposedly "Premium" airline is barely giving a Budget airline a run for its money.

Not really a sterling recommendation there for Thai.

would not say Air Asia is budget anymore look at there prices?

Thai is dearer than Qantas at the moment .

I do not get it 75% capacity raise prices so they get 50% capacity thats smart!! not.

Why not lower prices a bit spend less on upgrading the planes to balance it out

and fly at full capacity?

only my suggestion Airlines need to think about what customers they are trying to attract

If after business people go all out and spend on upgrades to attract them,

however i would have thought Thailand was more of a holiday destination for most travellers and would not mind

settling for what they have now but with more reasonable prices.

I respectfully beg to differ. Seat upgrades and in flight entertainment are only a factor for those who actually get on the plane. For myself, and I am sure many others, Thai loses out every time when I compare the prices. Thai have to come to grips with the fact that it is, 9 times out of 10, cheaper for me to fly down to Singapore and then up to London on SIA, than it is for me to go directly from Bangkok to London!

The fact that SIA has better planes and better service makes it even more of a no brainer.

When they run their special offers TG can be one of the Cheaper airlines but they are a rip off the rest of the time Qatar Airways are ok and quite reasonably priced most of the time their in-flight entertainment is quite good but Doha Airport is a complete clusterf*@k at the moment although they are building a new one.