I Bought A Chevy Cruze

So, the thing that really sealed it that I had to get a new one now was because they were giving me 300,000 for the City. I just couldn't pass it up and risk the car's price to go down further in the coming years, so i did it.

I think you would have found, in fairness to the City, that at 300,000 its price had pretty much bottomed out and that you could have kept it another 3,4 or 5 years and got the same sort of money for it. Anyway, by the by.

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the thing that really sealed it that I had to get a new one now was because they were giving me 300,000 for the City. I just couldn't pass it up and risk the car's price to go down further in the coming years, so i did it.

I think you would have found, in fairness to the City, that at 300,000 its price had pretty much bottomed out and that you could have kept it another 3,4 or 5 years and got the same sort of money for it. Anyway, by the by.

Well. The tents are selling mine for 379,000. My City was the cheapest one. iDSI engine, no anything. No abs, no airbags, nothing. The bottom of the bottom. I couldn't see them giving me 300,000 for mine at over 10 years old. Actually, the first couple of offers were 290,000, but I stood my ground and they offered 300,000.

And I couldn't see myself in that for another 5 years. Enough already. I can afford better, so why not

I agree that if the car was in the same condition a few years from now, just for being a Honda, it wouldn't have gone down that much. BUT, if 2 years from now the transmission goes or something happened to the engine i wouldve been in deep crap paying out my ears for that thing. Not worth it.

Last thing that happened were the ignition coils went. Sputtering everytime I would hit the gas.

Lately, it was doing this weird thing when I went in reverse. I would almost feel like the car wanted to go into a stall. Weird.

Ah well. After 162,000 KM, I'm not complaining.

Edited by thaicruze

I will wait for my first night drive and see how the lights work. If i need more, I may ask them to install the fog lights. 6,000 baht. The switch is already in the car and the fog light covers pop right out. Should be an easy install.

Fog lights are for driving in fog. Man i hate the drivers that drive around with them permanently on for show.

I will wait for my first night drive and see how the lights work. If i need more, I may ask them to install the fog lights. 6,000 baht. The switch is already in the car and the fog light covers pop right out. Should be an easy install.

Fog lights are for driving in fog. Man i hate the drivers that drive around with them permanently on for show.

I don't put them on during the day, but I did use them a lot at night on really dark roads. My eyesight is not good. But probably the City's lights weren't that great so I needed it. I probably wont now. We'll see. I never used them in my Sebring, just the City they were on all the time at night.

Edited by thaicruze

And with that said, I'm going to take a walk outside and see of the prick with the 200 year old Corona smashed into my brand new car.

(waiting for the wife to get out of a teacher's seminar)

Ah. No. It's an old VIOS. Never mind. Ok. Guy hasn't moved. Good.

On the other side I had a TAENA. That's a nice big car.

Also, someone mentioned it being black and heat.

So I just opened the car. Been out there now for almost 4 hours under the sun. It's hot, but it's not any hotter than my tan silver City. I am guessing 3M film works better than Lamina (City had Lamina). My City could get extremely hot. My car I can sit and touch the wheel no problem.

So, I'm guessing, get 3M, not Lamina.

Edited by thaicruze

I don't put them on during the day, but I did use them a lot at night on really dark roads. My eyesight is not good. But probably the City's lights weren't that great so I needed it. I probably wont now. We'll see. I never used them in my Sebring, just the City they were on all the time at night.

People with them on during the day don't bother me. Pointless but doesn't blind me.

My God!

This guy is a salesman on steroids... :o

Or a first-time mom, "My little darling is so perfect. Yesterday he...."

I know he'll get defensive, but enough already. We know you like it and it's so much better than everything else.. :rolleyes:

Just out of interest thaicruze, how does someone who doesn't work do a 100km commute every day?

I don't work?? Who said that!!?

Its almost exactly 85km from my house to my job (round trip). My wife's school is on the way, so I just stop for 30 seconds and keep going. But then on the way back, we have to go off course for errands, eating and such, so right around 90-100 daily.

I just didn't work Friday because it was Mother's day.

Edited by thaicruze

Just out of interest thaicruze, how does someone who doesn't work do a 100km commute every day?

I took it as a given when you said about being on a marriage visa, although you seem to have since edited that comment out.

I took it as a given when you said about being on a marriage visa, although you seem to have since edited that comment out.

Oh you're right.

I'm here on an iPhone and everytime I reply I have to scroll all the way down. I guess instead of adding something it took it out.

I can't edit it now again, but yes. I have a Marriage visa.

I've had that since day 1. I don't want a school handling my Visa and I certainly don't want my being here dependent on whether I have a job or not. Never done a visa run and never will. I do the visa myself. That's MY business. Then u give a copy to the school and they take care of the work permit. No "teacher" visa for me, thanks. No way.

Edited by thaicruze

Oh you're right.

I'm here on an iPhone and everytime I reply I have to scroll all the way down. I guess instead of adding something it took it out.

I can't edit it now again, but yes. I have a Marriage visa.

I've had that since day 1. I don't want a school handling my Visa and I certainly don't want my being here dependent on whether I have a job or not. Never done a visa run and never will. I do the visa myself. That's MY business. Then u give a copy to the school and they take care of the work permit. No "teacher" visa for me, thanks. No way.

My understanding is different from yours. I understood that to get a work permit, you had to have a work visa as marriage visas prohibited work. My understanding may be incorrect of course.

yeah, forget the fog lights and get Xenon/HID low and high beams. max 6.000 baht and at least 100% more light

Many people prefer the Non-O route ,as Non-B you rely on your employer. No work, you have to get a new Visa within 7 days or leave.

Yes, that's my situation, but then again, being single isn't all bad.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding.

d6c7e91e.jpg

Sales girl is P-Nung. She is awesome. And very tall.

You call her Pee? You must be very young! ohmy.gif

Anyway, i reckon shaving off that moustache and throwing on a skirt might help with hitting her sales target. biggrin.gif

She saves that for the evenings and weekends during show hours...

Well. The tents are selling mine for 379,000. My City was the cheapest one. iDSI engine, no anything. No abs, no airbags, nothing. The bottom of the bottom. I couldn't see them giving me 300,000 for mine at over 10 years old. Actually, the first couple of offers were 290,000, but I stood my ground and they offered 300,000.

And I couldn't see myself in that for another 5 years. Enough already. I can afford better, so why not

I agree that if the car was in the same condition a few years from now, just for being a Honda, it wouldn't have gone down that much. BUT, if 2 years from now the transmission goes or something happened to the engine i wouldve been in deep crap paying out my ears for that thing. Not worth it.

Last thing that happened were the ignition coils went. Sputtering everytime I would hit the gas.

Lately, it was doing this weird thing when I went in reverse. I would almost feel like the car wanted to go into a stall. Weird.

Ah well. After 162,000 KM, I'm not complaining.

Yep get out of it while it's an asset and not a liability, there's also always the chance that you have an accident bad enough to lessen it's value too, your timing and logic is sound, it's a car not a piece of artwork, know when to walk away and when to run....

Also for rain and dusk when it's not quite dark enough for headlights but enough to want people to see you better but also for additional illumination on dark roads.. Xenon/HID would be a good upgrade but I'd still keep the fog lamps..

Edited by WarpSpeed

OK.

I had to post this for whoever is wanting to check out this car.

I was wrong about the KM/L reading.

Remember, after I bought the car, the following morning it was reading 5.7km/l

So, this morning was my real first time highway drive. I reset all the stats. This reading IS the real km/l NOT the L/100km.

Basically, I reset, then drove to work. My drive is about 30km straight highway. I do about 25 minutes at 100-110 kph. When I stopped at the first light I took a picture. It recalculated my average km/l reading.

IMG_0681.jpg

So this is the actual reading. That comes out to 35mpg (the sticker says 36mpg highway). So, that's almost dead on. When I started to stop and go to actually get to my work, when I parked (after avoiding and stopping for motorcycles, buses and bicycles selling brooms, it went to 12.7km/l.

So, there you go.

Okay thats make sense, I was wondering about that :D . Now it says average on the dash, can you change between what the car is using now and average?

Yes.

On the right stick (the one for the signal light) you can switch between:

1. Real Time km/l fuel consumption (this changes every second)
  2. Avg. km/l
  3. avg. speed
  4. fuel range
  5. total km in your car (redundant)

Another one of those little things you appreciate, is that for the signal light, you can press the stick up or down half way and it will spring back up. The signal will go off 3 or 4 times and then stop. For times you just want to "pass" someone. If you bring it down/up all the way, it locks of course, so the signal light keeps going.

Not sure if this is common in other cars, but I like this.

Edited by thaicruze

Okay thats make sense, I was wondering about that :D . Now it says average on the dash, can you change between what the car is using now and average?

Yes.

On the right stick (the one for the signal light) you can switch between:

1. Real Time km/l fuel consumption (this changes every second)
  2. Avg. km/l
  3. avg. speed
  4. fuel range
  5. total km in your car (redundant)

Another one of those little things you appreciate, is that for the signal light, you can press the stick up or down half way and it will spring back up. The signal will go off 3 or 4 times and then stop. For times you just want to "pass" someone. If you bring it down/up all the way, it locks of course, so the signal light keeps going.

Not sure if this is common in other cars, but I like this.

Cool, in my 06 City you don't have all those gizmo's, but you know that. All this "pc" stuff have come a long way in just 5 years time so that your cockpit in your car is looking more and more like an airplane cockpit.

Or likely the dash is universal to save money and is used in a package offered in another market..

like this one: LPG Cruze for Europe

But unlikely the electrics are there to convert it and try to get a Thai technician to use it and deviate from their installation manual? More likely to snow tomorrow me thinks :whistling: ..Plus doubtful the engine is built for it either..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Did the OP ever try a Mitsu 2 litre mivec 2 G.T. for under a Mill with discount.. What a precise Car, most impressed. Feels like an Engineer built it, not an Accountant.

It is an amazing car at that price, and looks far better than Cruze. Would be my choise in this segment, in red metallic :D

Did the OP ever try a Mitsu 2 litre mivec 2 G.T. for under a Mill with discount.. What a precise Car, most impressed. Feels like an Engineer built it, not an Accountant.

It is an amazing car at that price, and looks far better than Cruze. Would be my choice in this segment, in red metallic :D

but still what? 200,000b more expensive?