I Bought A Chevy Cruze

And as for your Focus vs Cruze, the only way to know really is to go and test drive them both. If you like them equally (they are very evenly matched), then go with the sales person that gives you the best deal.

If you decide on the Focus, don't buy it yet. Wait for the new one to make it here. It's getting great reviews. If you go to the Ford website, you'll see a page for "focus" and one for "new focus". Just ask the sales person when they expect that one to arrive.

Edited by thaicruze

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure I will wait for the new Focus , If I go that way.

And for sure the Focus will be a better driving car than the Cruze.

But the Cruze does look comfy and a good cruiser (the mind boggles)

The Captiva is nice , but for the price/value I'm leaning to the PJS.

The Cruze will maybe win on availability only.

2012_chevy_aveo.jpg

Is that the new Aveo?

Looks good!

Oh yes. That's what's coming. Videos on YouTube already.

The Cruze was a pivotal change in design for Chevrolet. Cruze is their direction for the future. You can see from the exterior and interior the Aveo is a Cruze mini-me. Very nice. Sporty. I think better looking than the Lacer EX, and better interior too

2012-chevrolet-aveo-interior-preview.jpg

That image is from Motor Trend. There's an article about it.

Check out YouTube too.

This is one

Basically, they are replacing the Optra with the Cruze and the Aveo with the Sonic

Edited by thaicruze

Yes. New Hyundais are getting great reviews in the USA.

OK. So, I took a picture today at the dealer while I was waiting to sign everything. It's a pretty fuzzy picture, but at least you can see how it looks when you turn a Cloth Cruze into all leather. You have the option to get it 2 tone of course, but I chose all black.

IMG_05842.jpg

So, the whole cloth thing is entirely optional. I got the leather almost all free. 20,000 - I only paid 5,000. That was my main freebie. You can negotiate something when you buy a car, especially at the end of the month.

I am fifty fifty on whether to buy the Cruze or the new Focus. Anybody who buys either in petrol and not diesel is foolish.

I can wait and will maybe have a PJS first.

Though I will have to look at the Captiva again.

It's interesting to see the interior of the 1.6 Cruze pictured above - it pales in comparison with that of the diesel Cruze which I saw, sorry to say. I think for someone wanting a road car, the 2WD Captiva vs diesel Cruze would make an interesting comparison, totally different vehicles yet both around 1.2MTB and the diesel Cruze really shows up the age of the Captiva in terms of stylish, technology and aesthetics.

As for the new Aveo, the Sonic, that goes on sale in the US later this year and it's success in Thailand would depend on the engines offered - no way would it get the 1.4 turbo, that's for certain. If Chevy Thailand introduced the Sonic sedan and the hatchback as competition to the Vios/City and Yaris/Jazz respectively it would really change Chevy's brand image in Thailand. To top it off, Chevrolet have already announced their intention to introduce the Malibu to compete with the Camry/Accord/Teena. America is back in the game, as they say.

OK. So, I took a picture today at the dealer while I was waiting to sign everything. It's a pretty fuzzy picture, but at least you can see how it looks when you turn a Cloth Cruze into all leather. You have the option to get it 2 tone of course, but I chose all black.

IMG_05842.jpg

So, the whole cloth thing is entirely optional. I got the leather almost all free. 20,000 - I only paid 5,000. That was my main freebie. You can negotiate something when you buy a car, especially at the end of the month.

I am fifty fifty on whether to buy the Cruze or the new Focus. Anybody who buys either in petrol and not diesel is foolish.

It's interesting to see the interior of the 1.6 Cruze pictured above - it pales in comparison with that of the diesel Cruze which I saw, sorry to say. I think for someone wanting a road car, the 2WD Captiva vs diesel Cruze would make an interesting comparison, totally different vehicles yet both around 1.2MTB and the diesel Cruze really shows up the age of the Captiva in terms of stylish, technology and aesthetics.

As for the new Aveo, the Sonic, that goes on sale in the US later this year and it's success in Thailand would depend on the engines offered - no way would it get the 1.4 turbo, that's for certain. If Chevy Thailand introduced the Sonic sedan and the hatchback as competition to the Vios/City and Yaris/Jazz respectively it would really change Chevy's brand image in Thailand. To top it off, Chevrolet have already announced their intention to introduce the Malibu to compete with the Camry/Accord/Teena. America is back in the game, as they say.

It's not a 1.6. It's a 1.8LS.

It's the same interior. The only thing the LT/LTZ have that mine doesn't have is the shiny piano black accents on the center console and the sliver trim on the steering wheel.

Other than that and the extra buttons is the same thing.

I prefer the all black steering wheel. The 2 tone with the silver looks too much like a Civic.

Of course, the upscale one will have, for example, extra sliver around the rim of the gauge cluster and crap like that. It's all the same really anyway. You can paint it different colors but they are all the same.

I took pictures of both. But i don't care for 2 tone interiors. I wanted mine all blacked out like the bat mobile.

Anyway

My 1.8LS

5e3c7dec.jpg

2.0 & 1.8LTZ

b6b78238.jpg

Not THAT much different. Let's be honest. I'll take more clear pictures today.

Edited by thaicruze

Remember the 1.8 comes in LS/LT/LTZ. The 2.0 diesel is the 1.8LTZ with a diesel inside.

Here's another angle for mine

14245d72.jpg

It's all subjective. I personally don't like lots of shiny trim everywhere. The Cruze manages to do it in the LT and above, but they don't go overboard. They keep it classy.

The 1.6 is really not for anybody. In that case, the new City is a much better value. For the same price you get a fully loaded premium City 2011. 1.8LS for those on a budget, if not, go for the Diesel.

This is my key

4615e616.jpg

The LTZ models have the remote start.

Edited by thaicruze

No need to say anything really.

This is just a thread for those who maybe interested in checking out the Cruze. Nothing else really.

I'll be back in a few weeks to post my impressions, fuel economy, etc.

Edited by thaicruze

No need to say anything really.

This is just a thread for those who maybe interested in checking out the Cruze. Nothing else really.

I'll be back in a few weeks to post my impressions, fuel economy, etc.

Okay looking forward to that. It going to be a long one since this one is already 10 pages before you even got you car B)

I looking to replace my trusted City 06 next year so I want to keep all options open, but will properly buy a SUV or pick-up due to higher safety.

IMG_05842.jpg

It's not a 1.6. It's a 1.8LS.

It's the same interior. The only thing the LT/LTZ have that mine doesn't have is the shiny piano black accents on the center console and the sliver trim on the steering wheel.

Other than that and the extra buttons is the same thing.

I prefer the all black steering wheel. The 2 tone with the silver looks too much like a Civic.

Of course, the upscale one will have, for example, extra sliver around the rim of the gauge cluster and crap like that. It's all the same really anyway. You can paint it different colors but they are all the same.

I took pictures of both. But i don't care for 2 tone interiors. I wanted mine all blacked out like the bat mobile.

Anyway

My 1.8LS

5e3c7dec.jpg

2.0 & 1.8LTZ

b6b78238.jpg

Not THAT much different. Let's be honest. I'll take more clear pictures today.

I stand corrected. On second thoughts I think you did the right thing getting black, the appeal of the two-tone may not last long. You did well getting leather for 5k! Nice one.

Yep but in another legit response to the OP while I like the Cruze I had another go at looking at one today, in fact the same one I had looked at before and it impresses me even more with the 2 tone black and saddle colored leather and black exterior the car is stand out and looks very rich. The seats though are rock hard and while supportive and well bolstered for a drive of any distance will definitely be an issue..

One of the things I loved about it were the seats. I hate soft seats. I have that now.

If that's an issue, there are plenty of soft seat covers you can use.

Yes, YOU like hard seats but I was giving MY opinion without attacking, merely an observation, so while I didn't say that would preclude me from buying one I certainly wouldn't purchase a car with a beautiful interior as one of it's most endearing features and then cover it with some cheap looking Doreamon seat covers or something to try and make it 'more comfortable' not a lot of forethought in that response IMO I think you forgot the :rolleyes: icon.

Since were on the subject of cheap and future deterioration I also saw the LT with a cloth interior and though the seats were ok the dash with cloth on it is a certain disaster in the making as it's not nearly tough enough to handle the heat and sunlight and other things the dash is exposed to. It does not inspire my confidence at all for durability for any length of time or holding it's color or cleanliness and is going to make cleaning and maintaining the dash a real PITA IMO.......

It's the same material as the seat. It's like a perforated net over the dash. It will handle heat as good as the seats.

Also, the material is facing you. The dash is hard plastic.

2011-Chevy-Cruze-RS-6.jpg

It doesn't get direct sunlight.

The car has been out for over a year all over the world. I haven't seen anyone complaining about its durability. it is one of those things people will either like or hate. But, they do offer the all leather choice in the LTZ if you're not into it.

Trust me it gets masses of sunlight and more dirt regardless of what material it's made of it's in a bad location and one year?? :cheesy: hardly a definitive test...Let's see what happens in 5 or 10 years but then no chance for a refund or resale recovery..

One of the things I loved about it were the seats. I hate soft seats. I have that now.

If that's an issue, there are plenty of soft seat covers you can use.

and to the other guy's point. I've only seen Thais driving the Cruze. There is a Thai where I live who bought the new Sonata Sport

258267,xcitefun-hyundai-sonata-1.jpg

Not many of those around

Last time I was at the dealer there were 2 families picking up the Cruze. I was the only foreigner in sight.

The Cuze replaces the Optra. There are plenty of Optras around. I can't see why Thais wouldn't get a Cruze. I saw 2 on my way to work this morning.

The Sonata is now a serious contender (in other markets).

Last week I was driving the Grandeur , slightly bigger with a moon roof, fantastic value for the $30,000 they sell it for in Korea.

IMG_05842.jpg

So, the whole cloth thing can be changed if you don't like it. I got the leather almost all free. 20,000 - I only paid 5,000. That was my main freebie. You can negotiate something when you buy a car, especially at the end of the month.

Geez my head is spinning! :huh: I saw how it looked with leather interior in the pictures already posted, plus in person.

So you converted it to leather all the way around? So why defend the cloth interior you clearly didn't like? I'm starting to believe that you are just "selling it" any ANY trim regardless..

2012_chevy_aveo.jpg

Is that the new Aveo?

Looks good!

The Cruze was a pivotal change in design for Chevrolet. Cruze is their direction for the future. You can see from the exterior and interior the Aveo is a Cruze mini-me. Very nice. Sporty. I think better looking than the Lacer EX, and better interior too

Check out YouTube too.

This is one

Basically, they are replacing the Optra with the Cruze and the Aveo with the Sonic

That Aveo is much more stylish then the previous Aveo.. I'm impressed and proud, good to see American car manufacturers competing again, now it remains to be seen if they've really learned a lesson or will fall back into complacency when they regain a foothold...

2012_chevy_aveo.jpg

Is that the new Aveo?

Looks good!

Check out YouTube too.

This is one

That Aveo is much more stylish then the previous Aveo.. I'm impressed and proud, good to see American car manufacturers competing again, now it remains to be seen if they've really learned a lesson or will fall back into complacency when they regain a foothold...

Hi All

I to am a fan of american cars, did I read somewhere that the Chev Malibu is coming to Thailand? When Anyone know. Phupaman.

Ok. Got the car yesterday.

Took a better picture. So here is the interior

c29200f8.jpg

7d3e14b0.jpg

f0ab709f.jpg

Although the 2 tone looked better at the dealer, with a wife being a teacher with pens and documents and the occasional take the family here and there I thought the orange or red leather piece will get dirty with pen or mechanics touching something with oily fingers. So I thought all black made the car looked like it cost more for only 5,000 baht.

This was the freebie from my sales girl. Real price is 20,000 baht for the leather. Took about a week to install. As you can see they have to change the dash and the door pieces that had cloth.

The leather takes away the stiffness of the Cruze's seats. So, they are still firm, but much more comfortable. I can drive all day on those. Easier to clean too.

So, I've driven it for maybe half a day all together. Lots of city driving. I am getting somewhere between 6-6.5L/100km (36mpg) as advertised. If you're going slow on small roads it goes down to around 5.5-5.7.

Oh wait. Maybe someone will say I'm a liar. I went to homeworks this morning. Reset the stats and took a picture when I parked at the HW. This is what I averaged

And yes, it's l/100km. It's in the manual. It gives you the average for the diesel and the 1.8.

3ee7e4db.jpg

The other thing is, about the gearbox. I can confirm it's just fine. It's powerful, but not sporty. If you want a sporty drive, better look at the Mazda3 or Focus 2012.

Also, the Cruze is QUIET QUIET. You can only hear the tires on the road.

60L tank. Fills up with 2,105 baht gasohol 91.

Everything has a great fit. Sealed. The bonnet is very heavy and solid. It's lined and it has rubber seals. Everything gives you a nice solid "THUMP" when you close it. Doors, bonnet, trunk.

2dab46f7.jpg

Easy iPod/IPhone/USB integration like most cars nowadays. Plug and Play. Like the competition you can control it from the steering wheel. No buttons feel plasticky or cheap or wiggly. Everything is solid and fit.

So far so good.

And the bumps around my house I can't feel them anymore. It used to feel like we were in a washing machine in our Honda City.

The lining on the roof is very nice and feels very high end

5d051bba.jpg

The trunk also padded. Very nice. Biggest trunk in its class BTW.

a2c67c48.jpg

The passenger has a pocket on the right side of the center console to put documents and stuff. Very useful

f3dd7692.jpg

The floor mats you are seeing were also thrown in as a freebie. They are rugged, thick and you can abuse them. I like them

a8c976a3.jpg

The fluffy ones the car comes with are just underneath.

Edited by thaicruze

I used to have a Sebring with tan leather.

Never again

I put 40% film. That keeps it cool enough. But the real test will come on Monday when I leave it out all day. I'll come back and let you know about my first real drive day.

I thought about that so i told the girl to put 60%. Then she showed me 60% on an Aveo. I didnt think it would be safe to drive at Night with 60%. That's really dark. So I opted for 40.

I took this picture this morning. Film looks like this

ab6fac02.jpg

I had a choice between Lamina and 3M. Even though 3M has the 3M stamped everywhere, I opted for 3M anyway. Not sure about Lamina. Didn't want the sun to ruin the seats.

Edited by thaicruze

Enjoy your new car. Can't beat that new car smell. I'd wear it as a cologne if they sold it!!!

Well, because of all the installation it was opened a lot so, good for me I guess, all the VOCs went away. Instead of the new car smell I am getting the new leather smell. Which is just as good.

you can take the 3m print off the film with cleaner. just go back to the dealer or a film shop and ask them to wipe it off.

A friend of mine was driving around for 3 years with it like that until i told her.. she then hd it taken of and admitted it had bugged her all that time :D:D:D

you can take the 3m print off the film with cleaner. just go back to the dealer or a film shop and ask them to wipe it off.

A friend of mine was driving around for 3 years with it like that until i told her.. she then hd it taken of and admitted it had bugged her all that time :D:D:D

Yes, they can easily remove it and Lamina also has the same sort of printing..I'd suggest leaving some in a few obscure places though as Thai's notice such things on resale, it's a status thing you know? :whistling:

Nice color choice on the car BTW and I completely agree with not having a cream interior!! :sick:

Edited by WarpSpeed

Why is your digital monitor reading 5.5 km/l? You are saying that mileage reading is actually l/100 kms? I hope I'm wrong, but 5.7 km/l is pretty horrendous actually (that equates to 15.7 L / 100 km).

whatever reading comes up, notice odo is 86km. Not releveant readings.

5,7km/l is rather normal in bkk jams running ac

OP congrats on good looking car. The red looks great, and black leather matches red paint perfectly ;)

OP congrats on good looking car. The red looks great, and black leather matches red paint perfectly ;)

Interior looks good. Not for me a massive improvement from the competition, like the Civic, but it's ok.

Front end looks great. My fav angle. From the side it's less impressive, and the back end is a real disappointment. I'd be making sure to be parking it front end in first on the drive!

P.S. Is the material definitely 100% leather? Seems like there is a lot of imitation leather stuff out there, which even comes with a leathery smell. 20k seems cheap is all.

Interior looks good. Not for me a massive improvement from the competition, like the Civic, but it's ok.

Front end looks great. My fav angle. From the side it's less impressive, and the back end is a real disappointment. I'd be making sure to be parking it front end in first on the drive!

P.S. Is the material definitely 100% leather? Seems like there is a lot of imitation leather stuff out there, which even comes with a leathery smell. 20k seems cheap is all.

I know a guy that does interior retrims for around $1,000 AUD cost price for seats and door trims back in Australia. So I suppose 20k bht isnt really that much of a stretch, I mean your obviously not going to get the greatest quality for 1k AUD but at the end of the day its for your ass to sit on not a leather jacket.

Yes. The reading is L/100km (I know it says km/l. The average is given in L/100km. It's in the manual)

After driving it i am averaging what the manual says. Between 6.8 and 7.8. That's between 30-36mpg.

There is a real time km/l reading. On the highway it averages somewhere between 12-15 km/l

I think it is much more superior to the Civic. I guess you have to sit inside of one and then compare it to a Civic. I can set up everything on my HID. How long I want the lights inside to stay on, locks, radio - for example how loud do I want it when I start the car. Also, when you drive it, the Cruze is 1,000 miles from a Civic. Civic's ride is crap, loud, engine makes a lot of noice and the seats are not very comfortable. Cruze feels like it's in another class.

Civic - old and cheap as hell

9dbc747b.jpg

Vs Mine

c29200f8.jpg

I think it's a MASSIVE improvement over the Civic.

Even the way the shifter feels when you put it into Drive. Everything feels solid and fit in the Cruze. Nothing sounds like tin or wiggly bits here and there. Civic suffers from that.

I think still the best way is just to test drive them. The premium feel of the Cruze over the Civic is something you have to, well, feel. You can't really see that in a picture.

Edited by thaicruze