I Bought A Chevy Cruze

http://www.whatcar.c...-review/25843-2

Says it all. If a car is good, it gets good reviews.....if it's poor it gets poor reviews.

Everything they said goes in complete opposite to everything everyone else has said in reviews about the Cruze.

and everything they said goes in direct opposite of what I have experienced. It's almost as though they were driving another car. That says it all.

Yours says

-Both engines are really flat unless you rev them to their limits.

-The ride has a jiggly quality, and can really get caught out by more vicious bumps and potholes

-Because the petrol engines have to be worked so hard to keep you going at a decent pace, you're subjected to a loud, thrashy soundtrack for too much of the time

Now Kelly Blue Book, and most other people who reviewed it say:

1:00 -In motion the Cruze's well sorted suspension provides a nice balance between ride comfort and dynamic handling. Good steering feel and enhanced stability at freeway speeds. The Turbo 1.4L is fun to drive.

3:30 -The Cruze has one of the largest interiors in the compact category

Edmunds - at the track

More

-Cruze dirves WONDERFULLY. Plenty of "get up and go"

-The cabin is premium quality

Edmunds.com

Driving Impressions

The most surprising characteristic of the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze is its combination of genuinely athletic handling with a comfortable, controlled ride quality. The Cruze's chassis isn't particularly sophisticated as far as economy cars go, but its design ensures secure handling and a compliant -- but not mushy -- ride. The standard suspension rides as well and as quietly as just about any compact car, while the sport suspension on the 2LT and LTZ is firmer, though without harshness.

Most drivers should be satisfied with either of the Cruze's engines. The upscale turbocharged engine is pretty average in terms of outright acceleration, but it's peppier around town thanks to its increased torque. The main issue, however, is the automatic transmission. Programmed for maximum fuel economy, it's reluctant to downshift for quick acceleration and passing unless you really boot the throttle.

So, how come all these people (and me) are having such a different experience?

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double post

Excellent. We now know you can look up things on Google.

Now, if you're interested in the Cruze, go test drive. If not, forget it. It's just one more car on the road.

Take your head out the sand

http://www.thetrutha...an-market-spec/

Their words

But some things just aren't worth a low price. Case in point: the Cruze's engine. The 1.8L machine produces 140HP of which I could only feel around 105 actually doing any work. And what little output it could muster produced more than its share of an unlovely noise. It's an old-school engine that has somehow found its way into a new car, and it ruins the experience. Picture a car that feels well-made but which at highway speeds has a gruff, obtrusive, strained sound coming from its engine department: that's what the Cruze I drove was like. (I also spent an hour in a Cruze equipped with the 110HP 1.6L engine. It's slightly sweeter, but the sound is still gruff, and it's so weak you have to thrash it all the time, so it's not an alternative). Apparently the Diesels are the pick of the bunch, but they come at a steep, three-grand price premium. At a reported 25MPG, the tested 1.8L is not exactly economical either.

I mean, everybody makes mistakes, but to install a crummy engine in a new global car on purpose sounds like what a company would do that is trying to pull one over you. Just think of what kind of unseen short cuts they might be taking, quality-wise.

105hp actually used? How did you measure that? How do you know it wasn't 106.5hp?

You posting some dude who has a blog on the internet who happens not to like the Cruze makes no difference whatsoever.

He says the Cruze is a car nobody would want, yet it sold more than Toyota in the USA.

and the jury is still out on you whether you've actually driven one or not. I'd like to take you out for a drive in mine, so you can tell me all these little things you're complaining about here because for the life of me I have no idea what you're talking about.

I never hear my engine unless I step on it and I hear it for a few seconds when it shifts gears. That's basically it. Then it's very quiet. You can't hear anything. It's also a very peppy engine. It's not designed as a sports car, but when you step on it, it goes.

As far as your "old engine", the Chevy Cruze engine is the same engine in the brand new Saab 9-5. The 1.8L ecotec has been in production since 2005.

Edited by thaicruze

"But as it is right now, there are around a dozen better cars on the market, most made by trustworthier companies."

succinctly put...

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what someone on the internet thinks about it. It only matters what the one who test drives it thinks. Many loved the car. The numbers of cars sold prove it. Some won't like it and they'll get something else.

I happen to disagree with that review. It's bullshit IMO from driving it everyday.

The other guy who says he "drove it" and that the engine isn't powerful and makes noise contradicts everything I've experienced for the last week. IMO, he hasn't actually driven the car. He is just flaming.

Says it all. If a car is good, it gets good reviews.....if it's poor it gets poor reviews.

. The more relaxed diesel is much quieter and smoother

From this quote you can see this site is biased and the guy is simply paid by other companies to trash certain cars. The cruze is booming on the markets and some people are paid to fight this. Just as some people are paid to go on forums and fight ideas in favor of certain companies and governments(google it)

Well. I'm an Englishman (thanks for not calling us Brits) and yes i like the Ford Focus BUT i also like the Cruze..

For Thailand i want a car that rides comfortably and looks good. I like its looks (but then i also like the Proton Persona and Saga)

I have never driven the Cruze (out of my price range at the mo)

But i have owned several Vauxhaull's and have always found them to be very reliable and cheap to run. Especially compared to French cars (don't get me started on them grrrrrrr)

I have also found Vauxhaull's and Opels to be more refined than Fords of the same era.

Each car means different things to the owner. and for different reasons. One of my favourite cars that i owned was the Skoda 105.. Strong as a mule, didn't have to worry about cleaning it and it was soooo much fun on ice and snow. 45hp of sheer wheel spinning, roundabout sliding powerbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

Well. I'm an Englishman (thanks for not calling us Brits) and yes i like the Ford Focus BUT i also like the Cruze..

For Thailand i want a car that rides comfortably and looks good. I like its looks (but then i also like the Proton Persona and Saga)

I have never driven the Cruze (out of my price range at the mo)

But i have owned several Vauxhaull's and have always found them to be very reliable and cheap to run. Especially compared to French cars (don't get me started on them grrrrrrr)

I have also found Vauxhaull's and Opels to be more refined than Fords of the same era.

Each car means different things to the owner. and for different reasons. One of my favourite cars that i owned was the Skoda 105.. Strong as a mule, didn't have to worry about cleaning it and it was soooo much fun on ice and snow. 45hp of sheer wheel spinning, roundabout sliding powerbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif.

I learned that from an Irishman not to call the English "brits". That's too broad a term. I may be the only American who does that.

Anyway. Don't listen to these morons. They're just flaming.

The Cruze is awesome. Everyone who has checked my car out wants one. The English in my school like it, but prefer something sportier.

. The more relaxed diesel is much quieter and smoother

From this quote you can see this site is biased and the guy is simply paid by other companies to trash certain cars. The cruze is booming on the markets and some people are paid to fight this. Just as some people are paid to go on forums and fight ideas in favor of certain companies and governments(google it)

That quote is in complete opposite to other reviews. The Diesel is NOT quieter. As a matter of fact, diesel engines are noisier than Petrol engines. You can tell just by that quote that the guy doesn't know anything and probably never even drove the car.

RIdiculous

http://wiki.answers....sy_when_running

A: Diesel engines are inherently noisy due to the method in which they burn fuel. Unlike spark ignition engines, compression ignition engines run much higher compression ratios, about 18:1 as opposed to gasoline engines which typically run a 10:1 ratio.

Everyone knows that. Except that blogger dude. :D

This happens with movie reviews as well. These bloggers repeat what each other say as though they really test drove the car, but never actually did.

There are hundreds of Cruze reviews on YouTube where you can not only hear what they say, but can SEE and HEAR the car yourself.

Of course I provided you with examples of other reviews that say the complete opposite of yours, but my reviews don't count. Only yours do.

Edited by thaicruze

I think you are the only guy on here with a Cruise so most can't comment except to say it looks good or bad, I think it looks ok it's not a sport's car.

That's not what they're doing though.

What's amazing, if you go by "reviews" is how these couple of reviews they posted say the Cruze is "loud, cheap and uncomfortable" and then you have other reviews saying the Cruze is "quiet, refined and very comfortable".

It is very curious how the same car can generate completely opposite reviews. As though they were driving different cars.

I am not going by reviews on the Internet. I am going by my own experience. Sleek and simple design inside and out. Tough (I already hit a dog really hard and didn't even scratch the bumper), extremely quiet and pleasant to drive.

The cons of the car is that because of the weight and super strong structure is heavy. This makes it feel like you are driving a bigger car, which is good, but it won't give you a sporty drive.

Personally, in stop and go traffic mixed in with long highway driving, there is absolutely no need for a stiff suspension and sporty drive. My drive is either stop and go or striaght as an arrow for 30 minutes straight at 120kph. So, for me, the Cruze performs admirably.

There maybe someone who has to commute on narrow rural roads and he would prefer to throw the car into every turn and feel like he is driving a sports car. The Cruze in this case will feel too soft. For people like me who want a cruiser, then the Cruze is a worthy contender. May not be the best for you, but a car to have on your short list when it's time to go shopping for a new car nonetheless.

I agree it looks great.. Chevrolet's first serious offering for me.

Very strange thing, it's like Chevy suddenly remembered how to design a car that doesn't look like crap. That actually looks pretty nice. Even the Captiva has improved, at least on the front where it got some Cruze elements. And surprise, people buy it!

Interesting to hear it's good inside too. Now if they get the quality right then it should be a winner for years to come. Quality being a bit of a sore point for GM cars, at least historically.

Also, it's getting old having Englishman after Englishman saying they want a hatchback. No shit sherlock. That;s what a good Englishman wants. Sporty, hathcback, stiff suspension. No surprise there. If I had a nickel for every time an Englishman said that, I'd be rich.

I'm usually on this bandwagon but I'm not English nor British and I'd like to have a hatchback..

Also, it's getting old having Englishman after Englishman saying they want a hatchback. No shit sherlock. That;s what a good Englishman wants. Sporty, hathcback, stiff suspension. No surprise there. If I had a nickel for every time an Englishman said that, I'd be rich.

I'm usually on this bandwagon but I'm not English nor British and I'd like to have a hatchback..

I don't get how a hatchback is more practical than mine. My trunk is huge and the seats fold.

This is what I always hear. A sedan is not as practical as a hatchback.

How about when you have to carry a bunch of bulky stuff, but need to carry 4 adult passengers? Then what?

I prefer a sedan with a big trunk, like mine.

I also hear people saying the hatchback weighs less and is better on fuel. Take the new Focus for example. The sedan and hatchback have the exact same fuel economy, and the hatchback actually weighs more than the sedan.

Now, the Focus sedan has 13.2cu.ft of trunk space. Cruze has 15.4. Of course the Focus hatchback has more space; but what is it that Englishman have to haul around?

The guy in my school who bought the Focus Hatchback drives 400km a month and he is single. Car is always empty. He is English of course.

I do 400km before the week is over. Even though he hardly uses the car, it is ingrained in his brain that he MUST get a hatchback because they're more practical. For what? I'm not sure what the size of the cruze is with the seats folded, but must be a lot. enough to carry whatever you can in a hatchback.

Edited by thaicruze

Hot Hatches are popular in Europe, they suit the majority Not just the English. Dont try explaining in Thai that " My Trunk is Huge", to the Ladies.it doesn't translate well !!. Trunks are essential here. You can seal off stinky food, and yappy kids.Thats why i loved the Ford Cosworths, unless you were an enthusiast, it could look bland.No all round disks on the Cruze then, the Proton has.:D

I recorded myself driving for 30 seconds. I started from a stop and stepped on it and let it go from 0 to 60kph. Did that twice. It was a small road, cement. After it gets out of the first few gears you can't really hear anything. If you are just cruising down the freeway it's quieter of course because you're not revving the engine.

Anyway, this is as loud as it gets inside a Cruze 1.8L

Edited by thaicruze

I don't get how a hatchback is more practical than mine. My trunk is huge and the seats fold.

How about when you have to carry a bunch of bulky stuff, but need to carry 4 adult passengers? Then what?

I also hear people saying the hatchback weighs less and is better on fuel. Take the new Focus for example. The sedan and hatchback have the exact same fuel economy, and the hatchback actually weighs more than the sedan.

Now, the Focus sedan has 13.2cu.ft of trunk space. Cruze has 15.4. Of course the Focus hatchback has more space; but what is it that Englishman have to haul around?

The guy in my school who bought the Focus Hatchback drives 400km a month and he is single. Car is always empty. He is English of course.

I do 400km before the week is over. Even though he hardly uses the car, it is ingrained in his brain that he MUST get a hatchback because they're more practical. For what? I'm not sure what the size of the cruze is with the seats folded, but must be a lot. enough to carry whatever you can in a hatchback.

Wow! I got all of that out of merely saying I'd like to have a hatchback? Knee jerk much? I just like the lines on a hatchback better and the fact that you can also get them with 3 doors instead of 4 a bit more aerodynamic, usually lighter so between those 2 things also more fuel efficient and most do have more interior space especially for cargo but that's secondary for me.. There are plenty of sedans with larger capacity trunks the Passat for one being an example but then you step into the higher segment..

You mention having one and never using the extra cargo space? So what? Having one still gives one OPTIONS if they'd like to carry more doesn't it?? Not having one provides no OPTIONS does it? Therefore with all things being somewhat equal when coupled with the other benefits I tagged it seems to be a well thought out and reasoned approach to purchase a hatchback if it's available in the trim and cost one prefers over a sedan, especially when one may also benefit from additional fuel savings..

You like apples, I like oranges.......Well I do like both but you get the gist I hope..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Wow! I got all of that out of merely saying I'd like to have a hatchback? Knee jerk much? I just like the lines on a hatchback better and the fact that you can also get them with 3 doors instead of 4 a bit more aerodynamic, usually lighter so between those 2 things also more fuel efficient and most do have more interior space especially for cargo but that's secondary for me.. There are plenty of sedans with larger capacity trunks the Passat for one being an example but then you step into the higher segment..

You mention having one and never using the extra cargo space? So what? Having one still gives one OPTIONS if they'd like to carry more doesn't it?? Not having one provides no OPTIONS does it? Therefore with all things being somewhat equal when coupled with the other benefits I tagged it seems to be a well thought out and reasoned approach to purchase a hatchback if it's available in the trim and cost one prefers over a sedan, especially when one may also benefit from additional fuel savings..

You like apples, I like oranges.......Well I do like both but you get the gist I hope..

Do you like Pomelo.... I like Pomelo.

Do you like Pomelo.... I like Pomelo.

Hell yeah!!! But only the pink one :D ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Agreed most hatch backs are better looking , for example the Mazda 2, Fiesta etc the saloon versions are just plain ugly and the versatility of the Jazz is amazing you could fit thaicruzes ego in the back with all the seats folded flat.unsure.gif

Are the mods sleeping or something?

A new member comes onto TV Motoring with the member name "ThaiCruze", starts a thread about the Chev Cruze, then carries on to extoll the virtues of the Cruze with a seemingly endless barrage of posts, arguing with anyone that doesn't agree with his/her point of view.

Umm, guys, If this isn't the worst executed attempt at corporate social advertising ever, I'd hate to see the one that beats it.

A new member comes onto TV Motoring with the member name "ThaiCruze", starts a thread about the Chev Cruze, then carries on to extoll the virtues of the Cruze with a seemingly endless barrage of posts, arguing with anyone that doesn't agree with his/her point of view.

Umm, guys, If this isn't the worst executed attempt at corporate social advertising ever, I'd hate to see the one that beats it.

You have a good point. :)

especially when one may also benefit from additional fuel savings..

OK. How much more will you save if you own a Focus Hatchback vs a Sedan? I want to know these savings.

Oh yes interrogation, that technique will get you along way with me :rolleyes: . Google's your friend bud, how bout you tell me the savings of Chevy Cruze versus every other available hatchback in the segment as I have no idea nor do I care the difference between Chevy versus Ford since Ford is only one of countless companies that make hatches in that segment..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Actually this is pretty good. at least there are real pictures of a Chevy Cruze....

over at the bike forum .. richard bkk is normally blatantly advertising for numerous Chinese bike manufacturers and openly slating the only Thai owned bike manufacturer.

But i agree that 'thaicruze' should really see a broader picture.. It does get a bit boring when you constantly criticize other peoples choices but then fail to accept criticism yourself.