Skiing On Samui

I heard about this some time ago and didn't really believe it - but it seems to be moving ahead --- and is just what Samui needs , it would be a huge boost to all !

THE USD 400 MILLION CLUB KOH SAMUI DEVELOPMENT BREAKS GROUND, KOH SAMUI, THAILAND (1 AUGUST 2011)

including ' A Theme Park, Water Park and Manmade lake

Ski Samui – one of the largest indoor ski slopes in the world.' :rolleyes:

FANTASTIC !!

"Club Koh Samui will change the face of Koh Samui tourism and enable the island to reach its full potential,” said Finn Hyttel, Club Koh Samui’s Group Managing Director. “Koh Samui desperately needs a landmark tourist attraction, and Club Koh Samui will satisfy this need and be a signature amenity and demand generator for the entire island.

.. check .. clubskohsamui.com

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why don't they call it "F___ Mother Nature"? They even have the gall to try and hop on the bandwagon by using popular terms like sustainable and green. I can't think of anything less green than an indoor ski slope.

Samui needs to become sustainable and truly be a “green” paradise island, and the Club Koh Samui Group will work to protect the island and its inhabitants from overdevelopment". :cheesy:

I hope that part is a massively expensive failure.

I believe they are going for Solar ....

The amount of solar power needed to power a project such as this would still make them a MEGA resource consumer. Imagine the number of batteries and panels needed to make snow in the tropics and to keep the indoor facility cold enough for it not to melt.

Even the most high tech batteries are still not 100% eco friendly and neither are the panels. That is IF they bother to buy the newest generation of recyclable batteries and newest solar panels.

Plus, I would bet big money that they'd be on the grid for times when there is insufficient sun to power this monstrosity.

Environmentally-speaking, this is a man-made disaster.

To refer to this as "sustainable" on their website and saying they are concerned about Samui being "overdeveloped" is exceedingly hypocritical and deceitful.

Making me laugh, they are single handedly going to do this:

"Samui needs to become sustainable and truly be a "green" paradise island, and the Club Koh Samui Group will work to protect the island and its inhabitants from overdevelopment, create sustainable projects and jobs, and redevelop the island's faltering agricultural base. Its sustainable development plans include a massive solar power project, a unique waste management project that turns garbage into needed topsoil, an effective wind-generated electricity system, multiple water management programs, and diverse platforms to revive the island's farms and agriculture. All this will make Samui healthy, self-reliant and economically sound, and the world will then see an island that is really doing it, not just talking about it.

"Samui needs to become sustainable and truly be a "green" paradise island, and the Club Koh Samui Group will work to protect the island and its inhabitants from overdevelopment, create sustainable projects and jobs, and redevelop the island's faltering agricultural base. Its sustainable development plans include a massive solar power project, a unique waste management project that turns garbage into needed topsoil, an effective wind-generated electricity system, multiple water management programs, and diverse platforms to revive the island's farms and agriculture. All this will make Samui healthy, self-reliant and economically sound, and the world will then see an island that is really doing it, not just talking about it.

Hey Rooo,

It almost sounds like politicians speaking doesn't it?

Hey Rooo,

It almost sounds like politicians speaking doesn't it?

This is what I said in post # 2 lol. That topic would be great in the Joke forum with some of the outlandish statements they are making.biggrin.gif

... with such a professional outfit ....

What on earth gave you that impression?:lol:

Just had a look at their website, they have hired already 6 Burmese workers, so completion is expected 3. quarter 2031 ........OMG

Love the Gold shovel & the other one with a pink bow. blink.gif

"looking into other high profile destination attractions such as a Luxury Marina and 18-hole Champion Golf Course"

with all that money to spend it seems like they should have started there first. this island doesn't exactly have a stellar track record in either regard. would love to see something like this pulled off though, both marina and another professional 18 hole course would really go over well. closest marina in pattaya and face facts, nobody comes here to play golf, they come here and then decide to play. i don't even play any more but more golf would have a pretty decent impact on the local economy all the way through.

"looking into other high profile destination attractions such as a Luxury Marina and 18-hole Champion Golf Course"

with all that money to spend it seems like they should have started there first. this island doesn't exactly have a stellar track record in either regard. would love to see something like this pulled off though, both marina and another professional 18 hole course would really go over well. closest marina in pattaya and face facts, nobody comes here to play golf, they come here and then decide to play. i don't even play any more but more golf would have a pretty decent impact on the local economy all the way through.

"nobody comes here to play golf",.... my understanding is that Santiburi has several tournaments each year... not sure how many people attend... perhaps not the 'world class league" but seems to attract golfers from some where...

But getting back to the original topic, yes quite laughable, I am another to add hope not in "my neighbourhood" and just can't see it being a success.... not to mention the environmental factors already pointed out...

"nobody comes here to play golf",.... my understanding is that Santiburi has several tournaments each year... not sure how many people attend... perhaps not the 'world class league" but seems to attract golfers from some where...

I think Joe's point is for golf holiday tourism it would have an impact. Having two international standard golf courses would justify a golfing holiday trip.

I am sure the environmental impact studies have been done & approved .No effect none whatsoever on the scarce natural resources of Samui "Fresh Water" The only green thing about this project, is the color of the Dollar.

I think Joe's point is for golf holiday tourism it would have an impact. Having two international standard golf courses would justify a golfing holiday trip.

yep. would still fall short of hua hin but everyone that's anyone has played those already and samui is an island after all.

yep. would still fall short of hua hin but everyone that's anyone has played those already and samui is an island after all.

Would that mean those on the beach would be pestered every 10 seconds with vendors on the beach, trying to sell you some thing? :realangry: My first Thailand beach experience was staying a Hau Hin, never to go back again! :w00t:

As for a second course perhaps they should look at joining the Bopout golf course and the one in Lamui, (which I have never figured out where that is) ... and everyone in between being in a "FOUR" zone....:cheesy:: ;)

I would also think it would attract an "exclusive elite type of traveller", that would not frequent the many bars and restaurants that are looking for business...?

At least at the moment, tourism seems to have picked up, I judge that by the number of Safari trucks I see full everyday, also the tour boat companies busy with all boats doing day trips to other Islands (Marine park, KT and KP) Staff not had a day off in weeks, because full everyday.