Going Back To The Uk

pmgthailand

Time to give up Bang Tao Boy they are all jumping on you ,never mind, i think youve got thick skin...

By 'All' you mean the usual 2 or 3 cantankerous old timers I presume?

I think over all in this thread, far more people have said that they don't have problems with the OP's list than said they do. And seeing as my only intention was to point out that a lot of people don't have those problems, and a lot of people agreed that they didn't, I would say it was job done, so no need to be giving up anything. B)

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's quite simple really, if you are not interested in the thread, don't open it and read it. I'll keep this post short so it matches your short attention span. :) :)

What say you about that GOM? Seems quite logical to me. You must have a serious amount of time that needs filling, if you open, read and comment on posts you don't like, just to say you don't like them. Hardly a thread changing contribution is it now. :(

it's quite simple really, if you are not interested in the thread, don't open it and read it. I'll keep this post short so it matches your short attention span. :) :)

What say you about that GOM? Seems quite logical to me. You must have a serious amount of time that needs filling, if you open, read and comment on posts you don't like, just to say you don't like them. Hardly a thread changing contribution is it now. :(

It seems that you two are the ones with attention span problems or ADD as I have already posted that "I do not read your B.S." hellishly long posts, or your six posts in a row.

And...........since you both missed it, my concise point and contribution to the thread was that anywhere has it's positives and negatives, when the negatives outweigh the positives it's time to push on, this is not exclusive to Phuket.

Sorry to the rest of the TV posters here regarding redundancy, our ADD friends here needed clarification.

It seems that you two are the ones with attention span problems or ADD as I have already posted that "I do not read your B.S." hellishly long posts, or your six posts in a row.

And...........since you both missed it, my concise point and contribution to the thread was that anywhere has it's positives and negatives, when the negatives outweigh the positives it's time to push on, this is not exclusive to Phuket.

Sorry to the rest of the TV posters here regarding redundancy, our ADD friends here needed clarification.

I'd be happy to hear what some of your positives and negatives are in your day to day living on Phuket,and how they effect you, rather than your criticism of those who post on this thread.

[i still remember the time you told everyone, you can't have a flat roof in Thailand because of the weather. :D

Very lame. Obviously touched a nerve.

Maybe you should go back and read what I actually said instead instead of mis-quoting.

Edited by KarenBravo

A bit like that time you made 22 posts on the ThaiVisa party thread after stating early in the piece you wern't interested in going. <_<

We are up to page 9 now. As expected, after more than 5 pages then every topic drifts a long way from the OP - in this case "going back to the UK".

Any more 'bashing' fellow members and this topic will be closed.

As stated in a very recent post, would be happy to hear from "the bashers" about what they view as "negatives" and why/how they effect them during there day to day living on Phuket. Very much on topic.

It's really not that complicated. Residents here (and potential residents) on Phuket Island weigh up the positives and the negatives (and there are quite a few negatives). Then it's a very personal decision whether the positives win and you stay, or the negatives win, and you leave. In the case of the OP (pmgthailand) the negatives won and he left. In my case the positives win (for now) and I'm happy to be here. I've weighed up the options to live in other parts of Thailand and neighbouring countries (we all need a bolt hole if it all goes to hell here in Thailand), going back to my home country is not really an option (too cold, too expensive, too gloomy). I'm staying here until the negatives (for me) win ...

It's really not that complicated. Residents here (and potential residents) on Phuket Island weigh up the positives and the negatives (and there are quite a few negatives). Then it's a very personal decision whether the positives win and you stay, or the negatives win, and you leave. In the case of the OP (pmgthailand) the negatives won and he left. In my case the positives win (for now) and I'm happy to be here. I've weighed up the options to live in other parts of Thailand and neighbouring countries (we all need a bolt hole if it all goes to hell here in Thailand), going back to my home country is not really an option (too cold, too expensive, too gloomy). I'm staying here until the negatives (for me) win ...

All perfectly true, but still doesn't explain why people don't start constructive posts about the negative aspects, and ways around them, but instead rant and rave, and try to tell everyone else that they should leave as well. The OP was a bitter rant, it's as simple as that.

All perfectly true, but still doesn't explain why people don't start constructive posts about the negative aspects, and ways around them, but instead rant and rave, and try to tell everyone else that they should leave as well. The OP was a bitter rant, it's as simple as that.

Perhaps because there ARE no ways around the negatives? Of course it was a "bitter rant", the OP is so fed-up he chose to go back to the UK! How desperate do you have to be to go back there :o?

The OP has stated his negatives "Reasons For Leaving" in 13 bullet points of which two I can only agree with, driving habits and dishonesty. The rest seem nebulous or personal. For sure "filthy Thailand" is subjective.

His positives "Reasons For Staying"....NONE !!! That's why early on I posted what took you so long, yeesh, there's the airport, beat it already.

Positives for me: I like my work, I love Thai Food (spicier the better), I like all the options for other food here in Phuket, somewhat modern here (internet, TV etc), loads of women Thai and Foreign, I'm a beach person so all my beach activities are here, I have good friends that I enjoy my weekends with, nearby outer islands (fun to explore) an international airport as a launching pad to many other Asian destinations. I could go on but then I'd be doing the same I criticized, so my apologies for wordiness. Cheers, GOM

Perhaps because there ARE no ways around the negatives? Of course it was a "bitter rant", the OP is so fed-up he chose to go back to the UK! How desperate do you have to be to go back there :o?

Fair comment about going back to England, but obviously there ARE ways around them because I and several others on this thread, and thousands more that don't post on forums, manage to live around them without a problem, and always have.

Like I've said before, 'Bitter rants' on forums, are a good indication of bigger issues, and bias exagerated opinions, that aren't particularly helpfull to anyone (except as a form of therapy to the OP of course :whistling: )

The OP has stated his negatives "Reasons For Leaving" in 13 bullet points of which two I can only agree with, driving habits and dishonesty. The rest seem nebulous or personal. For sure "filthy Thailand" is subjective.

His positives "Reasons For Staying"....NONE !!! That's why early on I posted what took you so long, yeesh, there's the airport, beat it already.

So you pretty much agree with me then.

Myself and NKM wanted to discuss it in detail, and you didn't. Don't think that's any cause for the twisting of knickers, do you. :blink:

That pretty much sums it up for me. There are a lot of negatives here, but, currently, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives, so I am happy, and staying. I do hold grave concerns for my future happiness here, and have a "Plan B" and a "Plan C" for if/when the day comes that Phuket is no longer for me. Stating this is not "Phuket bashing" or being pessimistic, we have all seen the changes going on here, over the years.

That pretty much sums it up for me. There are a lot of negatives here, but, currently, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives, so I am happy, and staying. I do hold grave concerns for my future happiness here, and have a "Plan B" and a "Plan C" for if/when the day comes that Phuket is no longer for me. Stating this is not "Phuket bashing" or being pessimistic, we have all seen the changes going on here, over the years.

I think you would need to be pretty simple to disagree with that. My question is, can't people learn to deal with the negative aspects a little better? Be a bit more (psychologically) pro active at keeping the positive things out weighing the negative. I think some of the people who have lots of issues here, would be the kind of people to have issues no matter where they lived. One of the biggest examples is people blaming PHUKET for things that happen in our home countries and every where else, like increase in traffic, and crime.

Then you get the people that complain about things, but when you push them for examples it turns out the things don't actually affect them personally at all. Moaning about them on behalf of others I guess.

Then you have the people like the OP and countless others on here, who are so bitter they actively try to steer people away from Phuket and refuse to accept that anybody could be happy, simply because they weren't.

Then you get people like me and countless others, that are happy to accept that Phuket isn't perfect, but due to attitude and making the right decisions and living a certain way, genuinely aren't affected by all the things others are. B)

I think you would need to be pretty simple to disagree with that. My question is, can't people learn to deal with the negative aspects a little better? Be a bit more (psychologically) pro active at keeping the positive things out weighing the negative. I think some of the people who have lots of issues here, would be the kind of people to have issues no matter where they lived. One of the biggest examples is people blaming PHUKET for things that happen in our home countries and every where else, like increase in traffic, and crime.

Then you get the people that complain about things, but when you push them for examples it turns out the things don't actually affect them personally at all. Moaning about them on behalf of others I guess.

Then you have the people like the OP and countless others on here, who are so bitter they actively try to steer people away from Phuket and refuse to accept that anybody could be happy, simply because they weren't.

Then you get people like me and countless others, that are happy to accept that Phuket isn't perfect, but due to attitude and making the right decisions and living a certain way, genuinely aren't affected by all the things others are. B)

There are just some "negatives" that can't be "worked around" over here. One example, for me, is I like red wine and cheese. Both of these items are taxed extremely heavily here. In fact, most farang food is. A crappy $7AUD bottle of Jacob's Creek is selling at a bottle shop for 985 baht. I'm not a wealthly guy, bought up with a silver spoon in my mouth and a refined palate, but, like the tuk-tuks, I refuse to pay 4 times the cost of what the product is back home, and in this case, for a bottle of cat's piss. The same goes for the cheese. Now, please don't go on about, "Well if they are your only negatives, you haven't got much to worry about etc etc." My point is, a lot of the negatives here are systematic, or entrenched in corruption, and there is no work around or way to negate their impact or cost, although, I do get friends to bring wine over for me, but it's just a bottle here and there. I believe the tax is so high on the wine in order to protect the Thai wine making industry, but, as Thailand is not famous for making quality wine, I think it's just cash grab from farang, but this is just my opinion. The cheese, I have no idea why it's ridiculously expensive here on the island.

As you have said, a lot of the negatives, that are in my power to do so, I have done my best to neutralise their impact and/or cost, but like the above examples, there are no way around some things here. Will these sort of things make me leave, of course not, but they are things that I view as negatives, all be it, not huge negatives. My thinking is, ok, the wine is expensive, but the beer is cheap, so, I try to be positive about it and find "the balance." I did say in a previous post there are many, not all of which make headlines like "tuk-tuk rip off" and "jet-ski scam" - they are just day to day living here.

An example for you BTB would be if the International Schools charged way more than a decent private school back home, or charged to a point where you could not afford them. There would be no "work around" for this, and education for kids being so important, you may be forced to move from Phuket, but it all comes down to how wealthly the individual is, which is none of anybody's business.

You say you, "are happy to accept Phuket isn't perfect" - I've given you a list of some of my negatives. What are some of the "imperfections" for you, living on Phuket, no matter how minor?

There are just some "negatives" that can't be "worked around" over here. One example, for me, is I like red wine and cheese. Both of these items are taxed extremely heavily here. In fact, most farang food is. A crappy $7AUD bottle of Jacob's Creek is selling at a bottle shop for 985 baht. I'm not a wealthly guy, bought up with a silver spoon in my mouth and a refined palate, but, like the tuk-tuks, I refuse to pay 4 times the cost of what the product is back home, and in this case, for a bottle of cat's piss. The same goes for the cheese. Now, please don't go on about, "Well if they are your only negatives, you haven't got much to worry about etc etc." My point is, a lot of the negatives here are systematic, or entrenched in corruption, and there is no work around or way to negate their impact or cost, although, I do get friends to bring wine over for me, but it's just a bottle here and there. I believe the tax is so high on the wine in order to protect the Thai wine making industry, but, as Thailand is not famous for making quality wine, I think it's just cash grab from farang, but this is just my opinion. The cheese, I have no idea why it's ridiculously expensive here on the island.

As you have said, a lot of the negatives, that are in my power to do so, I have done my best to neutralise their impact and/or cost, but like the above examples, there are no way around some things here. Will these sort of things make me leave, of course not, but they are things that I view as negatives, all be it, not huge negatives. My thinking is, ok, the wine is expensive, but the beer is cheap, so, I try to be positive about it and find "the balance." I did say in a previous post there are many, not all of which make headlines like "tuk-tuk rip off" and "jet-ski scam" - they are just day to day living here.

An example for you BTB would be if the International Schools charged way more than a decent private school back home, or charged to a point where you could not afford them. There would be no "work around" for this, and education for kids being so important, you may be forced to move from Phuket, but it all comes down to how wealthly the individual is, which is none of anybody's business.

You say you, "are happy to accept Phuket isn't perfect" - I've given you a list of some of my negatives. What are some of the "imperfections" for you, living on Phuket, no matter how minor?

Wine and cheese seem to be thought of as farang items, so they are expensive here, was always my understanding. I know Thais that enjoy wine. But when have you seen a Thai enjoy cheese? My wife thinks it stinks. I think her smelly fish stinks! I also like good wine and cheese, but they are too expensive here. But I'll still buy a bottle now and then and a piece of brie or Cambazola. I don't drink much any more, so I'm over it and I've probably eaten way too much cheese in the past, so I'm over that too... I feel one just has to make some adjustments to their habits to enjoy themselves here. And not sweat all the small stuff that seem to drive some people crazy around here...

Wine and cheese seem to be thought of as farang items, so they are expensive here, was always my understanding. I know Thais that enjoy wine. But when have you seen a Thai enjoy cheese? My wife thinks it stinks. I think her smelly fish stinks! I also like good wine and cheese, but they are too expensive here. But I'll still buy a bottle now and then and a piece of brie or Cambazola. I don't drink much any more, so I'm over it and I've probably eaten way too much cheese in the past, so I'm over that too... I feel one just has to make some adjustments to their habits to enjoy themselves here. And not sweat all the small stuff that seem to drive some people crazy around here...

I've done as you have done, adjust some of my habits. I'm happy with my friends flying in some decent bottles of wine now and then and occassionally I'll buy a nice chunk of cheese, regardless of the price, although I know I am paying well over the top. Like I said, I am not having a whing about it. There are day to day negatives to living here. There is nothing wrong with pointing them out, which I had been requested to do so. I am no where near the point of moving away because of them, like the OP, but, they do exist, for me, and others, like yourself.

Fair comment about going back to England, but obviously there ARE ways around them because I and several others on this thread, and thousands more that don't post on forums, manage to live around them without a problem, and always have.

Like I've said before, 'Bitter rants' on forums, are a good indication of bigger issues, and bias exagerated opinions, that aren't particularly helpfull to anyone (except as a form of therapy to the OP of course :whistling: )

That's good to hear. So how do you find electricians, plumbers, general handymen etc.? I used to know a guy that was all of them, but he was v unreliable and the price went up and up....

If you can recommend someone (and NOBODY here unless they are v lucky, can do without them), please either start a thread or send me a PM.

Getting back on topic, I'd forgotten about the price of farang food and wine on Phuket :(....

You can get pretty good wine here for 500 baht and even cheaper in Villa market. Makro do Cheddar cheese for almost the same price as the UK so your argument doesnt work in my opinion.

Imperfections for me with Phuket are whinging Farang, Farang who like to molest girls 35 years younger than them, Farang who treat Thais like they are meaningless, Farang who like to fight when they are out drinking, Farang who think that when they are in another country laws dont apply. Oh and the price of Tuk Tuks...but I dont let that bother me to be honest

You can get pretty good wine here for 500 baht and even cheaper in Villa market. Makro do Cheddar cheese for almost the same price as the UK so your argument doesnt work in my opinion.

Imperfections for me with Phuket are whinging Farang, Farang who like to molest girls 35 years younger than them, Farang who treat Thais like they are meaningless, Farang who like to fight when they are out drinking, Farang who think that when they are in another country laws dont apply. Oh and the price of Tuk Tuks...but I dont let that bother me to be honest

I drink the "house wine" at restaurants, no problem with that, but I do miss a decent drop of red and do not want to pay 2500 baht for a bottle that is $25 back home. In relation to the cheese, I wasn't talking about cheese slices you make a sandwiches with, I was talking about European cheeses, bought by the gram/kilo. I do buy the 64 slice cheddar from Marko for sandwiches.

Ahhhhhh, if you don't like farang so much, even though you are farang yourself, or, you don't like the behaviour of farang, I think Phuket might not be for you. A lot of farang here. :)

Wine and cheese is expensive in thailand, even though im more of a beer and crackers man. I see crap bottles of Australian wine (vinager to me) that sells for outrageous prices in Thailand.

Yes, wine is expensive in Thailand. But I'm not so sure cheese is much more expensive than the Uk. Last time I was in Uk (many years ago) cheese was also very expensive. I can buy Brie (Aussie) in Villa for 110 baht/100 grams, last time is was in the Deli in Patong (a while back as car parking is impossible) I bought a strong Cheddar for about 35 baht/100 grams. Best buys are at the service counters, but you have to really check out the prices. Worst buys are prepackaged on the shelves. Can pay double and much more.

Yes, wine is expensive in Thailand. But I'm not so sure cheese is much more expensive than the Uk. Last time I was in Uk (many years ago) cheese was also very expensive. I can buy Brie (Aussie) in Villa for 110 baht/100 grams, last time is was in the Deli in Patong (a while back as car parking is impossible) I bought a strong Cheddar for about 35 baht/100 grams. Best buys are at the service counters, but you have to really check out the prices. Worst buys are prepackaged on the shelves. Can pay double and much more.

When I was in California last month I bought Cambozola cheese for about 990 ฿/kg. At Villa it's about 1,800 ฿/kg. It's made in Germany. Cheddar is about twice the price here too. I guess the UK taxes imports pretty high as well? And wine is at about three times more expensive here...

So.....let me take a wild guess.....

Your problem is mainly with other farang?