Visiting Chiang Mai Next Week

WatUp

Hi all,

Mom is currently visiting and wanted to take her to CM. I have read the flood warning thread and it seems like the city itself has been spared. Still is it even worth it to go? How affected is the city right now? I would want to take her shopping at some nearby villages, etc...Possible?

Thanks

There was some flooding out near Bo Sang,, on the road to where I live, but all gone 2 days ago. Don't worry, no rain now for several days . the weather this morning is cloudy but I don't expect rain. Come, visit and I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

Here in Chiang Mai city, whenever we have a heavy downpour, the streets are little slow to drain and there can be flooding in the streets for a few hours or even a day. That's why the curbs on the sidewalks are so high. Plus, the traffic becomes very heavy because more people use cars instead of their motorcycles. Also, the song thaew and tuk-tuk drivers start to demand higher fares because they know the trips will take longer. It's just a minor inconvenience, not a reason to stay away from Chiang Mai.

Edited by NancyL