Taxi Situation Update

Samui Taxis shouldn't be expensive...I found this announcement in Lamai some weeks ago:

R0012869.jpg

Did anyone tried to call the 1584?

i am reading this right? special surcharge 90 baht that's nearly that £2 that's so high? so the fare is say 70 baht + 90 special surcharge .maybe heading to the wrong place even this says samui is the highest rate to live? great picture

Edited by doingok

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i am reading this right? special surcharge 90 baht that's nearly that £2 that's so high? so the fare is say 70 baht + 90 special surcharge .maybe heading to the wrong place even this says samui is the highest rate to live? great picture

Ignore that notice. Taxis drivers do. And so does the Public Bus Passenger Protection Center probably.:unsure:

Getting a taxi to use a meter is pretty much impossible. You negotiate BEFORE you get in the cab. Minimum is going to be THB300 - even if it is just down the road!:annoyed:

As aussieguy130 says, using hotel transfers is a lot less stressful. Having said that, taxis FROM the airport are all limousines and part of Bangkok Airways set up. They are clean, reliable take up to 5 people per fare and are fixed price - albeit a high price.

Getting an ordinary yellow/maroon saloon taxi is when the fun starts. Either bite the bullet and expect to pay a high price, or make alternative arrangements. Sadly. :(

Edited by itishothere

Ignore that notice. Taxis drivers do. And so does the Public Bus Passenger Protection Center probably.:unsure:

Getting a taxi to use a meter is pretty much impossible. You negotiate BEFORE you get in the cab. Minimum is going to be THB300 - even if it is just down the road!:annoyed:

As aussieguy130 says, using hotel transfers is a lot less stressful. Having said that, taxis FROM the airport are all limousines and part of Bangkok Airways set up. They are clean, reliable take up to 5 people per fare and are fixed price - albeit a high price.

Getting an ordinary yellow/maroon saloon taxi is when the fun starts. Either bite the bullet and expect to pay a high price, or make alternative arrangements. Sadly. :(

looks like renting are buying a scooter for 6 months surly they are cutting they own throat? 300baht bloody hell its cheaper here in the uk lol maybe going to the wrong place?

Edited by doingok

looks like renting are buying a scooter for 6 months surly they are cutting they own throat? 300baht bloody hell its cheaper here in the uk lol maybe going to the wrong place?

A bike is the cheapest option followed by renting a jeep.

Alternatively use the songtheuws in the daytime and if you are out boozing at night then a taxi. I find its often the same price or even cheaper to rent a songtheuw instead of a taxi....anyhow they are usually more pleasant people.

Don't drink and drive!

A bike is the cheapest option followed by renting a jeep.

Alternatively use the songtheuws in the daytime and if you are out boozing at night then a taxi. I find its often the same price or even cheaper to rent a songtheuw instead of a taxi....anyhow they are usually more pleasant people.

Don't drink and drive!

i have never done that anyway somkie36 but then again i do not drink that much to, though i do like a drink but only a couple

Avoid the taxis if you can. You will not find an honest one.

What a pathetic statement! The reason why the taxis on Samui cost what they do is not that there are no "honest one(s)" here but:

1. The price of cars in Thaialnd is higher than in most Western countries.

2. The cost of gas is on par with Australia, Singapore, more expensive than USA and less than Europe. So very global price.

3. The roads in Samui are crap and that badly impacts on car maintenance costs, including flat tyres and broken shock-absorbers.

4. Places like Samui or Phuket are much less congested than Bkk and taxis have to charge return fee since in 95% of cases they will be coming back empty from where they delivered their passengers.

5. Because of relatively high taxi fares (comparing with Bkk only) Thais hardly use taxis here making their customer base even smaller.

Get real! Compare taxi prices in Australia, UK, USA and Samui and stop winging! Or if you really think taxis are a rip-off here buy yourself one and start an "honest" taxi business and see what money YOU can make out of it. And what prices will YOU be happy driving around for. I bet you would be most expensive taxi on the island very shortly!

What a pathetic statement! The reason why the taxis on Samui cost what they do is not that there are no "honest one(s)" here but:

2. The cost of gas is on par with Australia, Singapore, more expensive than USA and less than Europe. So very global price.

3. The roads in Samui are crap and that badly impacts on car maintenance costs, including flat tyres and broken shock-absorbers.

4. Places like Samui or Phuket are much less congested than Bkk and taxis have to charge return fee since in 95% of cases they will be coming back empty from where they delivered their passengers.

5. Because of relatively high taxi fares (comparing with Bkk only) Thais hardly use taxis here making their customer base even smaller.

Get real! Compare taxi prices in Australia, UK, USA and Samui and stop winging! Or if you really think taxis are a rip-off here buy yourself one and start an "honest" taxi business and see what money YOU can make out of it. And what prices will YOU be happy driving around for. I bet you would be most expensive taxi on the island very shortly!

4 ? i have taxied for 12 years in the uk and you near charged return price and our petrol prices are sky high that is wrong end of.its like a air line charging you the return leg and you are only going one way.so that is wrong no matter where you are in the world you are.wish i could do that here. i cannot comment on the rest

Edited by doingok

Yes you are right.

It's fair to to charge 300 baht for a 300 meter drive.

I would like to start a honest Taxi company here.

Can you recommend protection? :ph34r:

Yes I can understand how I can go from Sukhumvit Soi 23 to Suvarnbhumi Airport for 200 Baht yet it costs 300 Baht on Samui to go from Fishermans Village to Big Buddha.

Time to get your calculator out mate. biggrin.gif

Yes I can understand how I can go from Sukhumvit Soi 23 to Suvarnbhumi Airport for 200 Baht yet it costs 300 Baht on Samui to go from Fishermans Village to Big Buddha.

Time to get your calculator out mate. biggrin.gif

it doesn't take a rocket science it work it out,somkie36 really dose it? if they prices are fair and they do not rip people off then they would get more custom there for make more money.

it doesn't take a rocket science it work it out,somkie36 really dose it? if they prices are fair and they do not rip people off then they would get more custom there for make more money.

Better to have a long siesta...one or two jobs a day and take it easy....biggrin.gif

Whats the name and number of your taxi company notime? I assume you are a taxi man after that rant.

I actually had a good giggle reading your post. Your logic is mind numbingly stupid. What you have basically just said is "taxis charge too much, therefore people cannot afford them, thereofre they charge more". Do you realise how simple you sound? :unsure:

Theres lots that i could write in response to your post.....it is astonishing. i think i;ll just say that i totally and utterly disagree with you and i imagine do 99% of all residents on the island. Aside of this i would remind you it is a legal requirement to turn mters ON.

4 ? i have taxied for 12 years in the uk and you near charged return price and our petrol prices are sky high that is wrong end of.its like a air line charging you the return leg and you are only going one way.so that is wrong no matter where you are in the world you are.wish i could do that here. i cannot comment on the rest

Airlines are not charters most of the time. Taxis are. You can say fair not fair but if you were the taxi driver and a customer wanted you to go some place that you don't expect to find another customer for the return drive why it's it fair to calculate that in your price? If lower prices were profitable to taxis they would take them like they do in Bkk.

No taxi charges 300 THB for 300 meter drive PoorSucker so please don't over-exaggerate. You are free to negotiate the price and don't pay it if you consider it a rip-off. Yes, the airport trips are more expensive than regular fares but that isn't unlike in many other countries and places.

That taxis are dirty cheap in congested Bangkok doesn't mean that they should cost the same in Samui, because every place has different realities and costs. I was only trying to point that out and also compare Samui taxi prices to those overseas with comparable car and petrol prices. How much does it costs to step into a taxi in UK or Australia? Even before you clock ANY milage?? So what's wrong with 200 THB for a few km trip???

Yes, taxi mob sets the prices here. But this is different than extortion that happens when you are physically threatened to pay for no-service. The taxi mob doesn't operate in vacuum as there are many private transport groups, hotels and resorts with transport services, rental car companies and so on. So they are not able to set exorbitant prices even if they wanted to. Plus they also have to take into consideration client's willingness to pay. And most tourists are happy to pay these prices as they are accustomed to taxi prices in their home countries. Countries with "mob" trade unions and "mob" governments who don't behave much differently than the Samui mob.

I don't run a taxi company here, but I drive a car around and I know how much that costs me. But apart from the "hardware costs" how much would YOU charge for your time if any of you would to drive a taxi? Half an hour from Chaweng to Lamai and half an hour back (empty) for 400-500 THB. Probably half of that would be your "hardware costs" leaving you 200-250 THB pay for 1 hour work. About 4-5 GBP. Wow, incredible riches!

So, please, try to look at the whole picture rather than perpetuating a no-brainer, one liner that "taxis are a ripp-off on Samui" that doesn't serve any positive purpose.

Half an hour from Chaweng to Lamai and half an hour back (empty) for 400-500 THB. Probably half of that would be your "hardware costs" leaving you 200-250 THB pay for 1 hour work.

On that basis, a taxi driver working 6 days a week, 9 hours a day, could net around THB 58,500 a month.

Many people work similar hours here ..... remind again what the average wage is here?

Airlines are not charters most of the time. Taxis are. You can say fair not fair but if you were the taxi driver and a customer wanted you to go some place that you don't expect to find another customer for the return drive why it's it fair to calculate that in your price? If lower prices were profitable to taxis they would take them like they do in Bkk.

No taxi charges 300 THB for 300 meter drive PoorSucker so please don't over-exaggerate. You are free to negotiate the price and don't pay it if you consider it a rip-off. Yes, the airport trips are more expensive than regular fares but that isn't unlike in many other countries and places.

That taxis are dirty cheap in congested Bangkok doesn't mean that they should cost the same in Samui, because every place has different realities and costs. I was only trying to point that out and also compare Samui taxi prices to those overseas with comparable car and petrol prices. How much does it costs to step into a taxi in UK or Australia? Even before you clock ANY milage?? So what's wrong with 200 THB for a few km trip???

Yes, taxi mob sets the prices here. But this is different than extortion that happens when you are physically threatened to pay for no-service. The taxi mob doesn't operate in vacuum as there are many private transport groups, hotels and resorts with transport services, rental car companies and so on. So they are not able to set exorbitant prices even if they wanted to. Plus they also have to take into consideration client's willingness to pay. And most tourists are happy to pay these prices as they are accustomed to taxi prices in their home countries. Countries with "mob" trade unions and "mob" governments who don't behave much differently than the Samui mob.

I don't run a taxi company here, but I drive a car around and I know how much that costs me. But apart from the "hardware costs" how much would YOU charge for your time if any of you would to drive a taxi? Half an hour from Chaweng to Lamai and half an hour back (empty) for 400-500 THB. Probably half of that would be your "hardware costs" leaving you 200-250 THB pay for 1 hour work. About 4-5 GBP. Wow, incredible riches!

So, please, try to look at the whole picture rather than perpetuating a no-brainer, one liner that "taxis are a ripp-off on Samui" that doesn't serve any positive purpose.

i have drove 150 miles (246km Newcastle upon tyne to Manchester) to take a customer to were they wanted to go and i had to drive all the way back empty so that does not wash what you are saying, you jump in a taxi anyway in the world and you only pay one way so if i have to pay for the return you should hang around a wait for me to go back?

leaving you 200-250 THB pay for 1 hour work. About 4-5 GBP. Wow, incredible riches! that is very close to the minimum wage here in the UK so not a bad wage at all i know some taxi drivers here are lucky to make that an hour but they still only charge ONE WAY and they have to work 14 to 16 hours a day just to make a living. and they do not over charge and always use they meter as its the law here and if they don't they can lose they licence.

how much would YOU charge for your time if any of you would to drive a taxi? Half an hour from Chaweng to Lamai and half an hour back (empty) for 400-500 THB read the about and it took me nearly 3 hour to drive to Manchester and drove back 3 hours empty that's what taxi drivers do sorry but you have no idea what so ever.we pay around 68baht a liter (£1.40)

So, please, try to look at the whole picture rather than perpetuating a no-brainer, one liner that "taxis are a ripp-off on Samui" that doesn't serve any positive purpose. yes it dose, stops people being ripped off by over priced fare which you have said there are by charging double it should be by charging for you to return its a joke.

I think you really do believe in what you are saying and you have every right to your opinion. I doubt however you'll find anyone that holds the same views.

I say this because in all honesty you are the only person in my eight years on the island or infact anyone i know that has visited here, that holds this opinion. Apart from the costs of the domestic flight its the most frquently complaint.

I've already said its also illegal not to turn the mter on and i see you make no comment on that. but, that aside, how can you defend paying three times what you would probably pay in any other part of the country?

Here's a little taxi honesty test to try. If you ever arrive in Bangrak by ferry pretend to be a tourist and ask one of the taxi drivers that comes up to you how much the taxi ride to Bangrak would be. See if he says "This is Bangrak" or "400 baht".

Another thing to try is tell him Samui Mermaid Hotel and hop in. See how much of a circle he drives you around and how much he charges you before reaching the hotel a few hundred meters from the pier.

Edited by koheesti

Here's a little taxi honesty test to try. If you ever arrive in Bangrak by ferry pretend to be a tourist and ask one of the taxi drivers that comes up to you how much the taxi ride to Bangrak would be. See if he says "This is Bangrak" or "400 baht".

Another thing to try is tell him Samui Mermaid Hotel and hop in. See how much of a circle he drives you around and how much he charges you before reaching the hotel a few hundred meters from the pier.

a very costly test lol a price list of the songtheuws would be great????????

Edited by doingok

400 baht, I have heard it's just 300 baht to mermaid from the Pier (300 meters).

I guess it's high season. :annoyed:

Many thanks for all the replies, they have been most useful. The hotel taxi is booked!

For those requesting prices for comparison I can give up to date ones on Hong Kong where we are currently staying.

The flag fall for a taxi here is HK20, so B75, which covers most short trips around the city. We have just taken a taxi across the island to a beach area, Stanley, which is a good half hour drive and cost the equ. of B570. The taxis are nothing special, just comfortable and air conditioned, and plenty of them.

Taking into account the eyewateringly expensive property prices here I think these guys are offering pretty good value, and it does make the prices quoted by the Samui drivers seems a little "extravagant" to say the least. Forewarned is ....

Now on to the resteraunt hunt!

Thank you for giving me the right to have an opinion.

I didn't say that's okie to charge two way fare for one way trip. But that one way fare is based on the premise that finding a return customer is almost impossible that is the situation on Samui with a small population and traffic.

My example of earning 4 GBP for an hours work didn't mean that the taxi driver can get that EVERY hour! He would be lucky to get few trips per day. The rest of time he is on unpaid stand-by. So, let's say 4 x 4 GBP is 16 GBP per day of earnings. Inefficient? Maybe but this is a reality here.

But if you think lowering prices by half for instance would double of triple the turnover you are wrong. Because the other local condition is that almost all locals have scooters or know somebody who can drive them so the taxi market is basically for the foreigners only. And the prices are still way cheaper than in foreign countries.

As to the law that states the need for turning on the meters it's like many other Thai laws that amount to nothing. Same with no-smoking in a/c places or speed limit of 40km. This is a jungle and if you don't like or cannot handle "cultural differences" don't come here.

I'm also aware that a lot of taxi drivers will attempt to get as much as they can for their fare, especially from the foreigner. This is not confined to dealing with taxi drivers but almost all businesses here and reflects again the local mentality, local business altitude that are very different than in Europe. So if you do come here beware and try not to let the locals take advantage of you, but pleeease don't winge.

Since the OP and perhaps others posting haven't been here long enough to know this, we should also mention the multiple incidents of violence that have happened when taxi drivers have assaulted customers, or potential customers. A look at past threads on this sub forum will show just how serious some of those assaults have been. The drivers most often seem to avoid any consequences here for those actions, so if you have to take a taxi, keep smiling even if you are sure you are being taken advantage of.

Since the OP and perhaps others posting haven't been here long enough to know this, we should also mention the multiple incidents of violence that have happened when taxi drivers have assaulted customers, or potential customers. A look at past threads on this sub forum will show just how serious some of those assaults have been. The drivers most often seem to avoid any consequences here for those actions, so if you have to take a taxi, keep smiling even if you are sure you are being taken advantage of.

or find another way to travel

notime most of us like me are good honest hard working people and respect other people, i guess thai people are just out to ripp people off because of greed? (though i think not all ),i would never do that to anyone and the daft thing is the only ones you are hurting really is your self's,cause no one will come and the ones that do will use other means of transport,wish could help you see what you's are actually doing i promise you that do the right thing and people will use you over and over again which means more money in your pocket,

Edited by doingok

I didn't say that's okie to charge two way fare for one way trip. But that one way fare is based on the premise that finding a return customer is almost impossible that is the situation on Samui with a small population and traffic.

My example of earning 4 GBP for an hours work didn't mean that the taxi driver can get that EVERY hour! He would be lucky to get few trips per day. The rest of time he is on unpaid stand-by. So, let's say 4 x 4 GBP is 16 GBP per day of earnings. Inefficient? Maybe but this is a reality here.

But if you think lowering prices by half for instance would double of triple the turnover you are wrong. Because the other local condition is that almost all locals have scooters or know somebody who can drive them so the taxi market is basically for the foreigners only. And the prices are still way cheaper than in foreign countries.

As to the law that states the need for turning on the meters it's like many other Thai laws that amount to nothing. Same with no-smoking in a/c places or speed limit of 40km. This is a jungle and if you don't like or cannot handle "cultural differences" don't come here.

I'm also aware that a lot of taxi drivers will attempt to get as much as they can for their fare, especially from the foreigner. This is not confined to dealing with taxi drivers but almost all businesses here and reflects again the local mentality, local business altitude that are very different than in Europe. So if you do come here beware and try not to let the locals take advantage of you, but pleeease don't winge.

one of the best lessons i ever learned was to not defend a bad position and IMO trying to justify the behavior of the taxie drivers on koh samui is not a winner. The factor that seems to be lost on their fares is that if they were lower i would use them rather than drive. I like being driven and i know many others who feel the same hence the return fare or any fare is lost due to their greed.

one of the best lessons i ever learned was to not defend a bad position and IMO trying to justify the behavior of the taxie drivers on koh samui is not a winner. The factor that seems to be lost on their fares is that if they were lower i would use them rather than drive. I like being driven and i know many others who feel the same hence the return fare or any fare is lost due to their greed.

they just cannot see that though and its well known so they must be losing a lot of cash

I couldn't disagree more. In the past 4 years I've spent about 2.5 of that on Samui. I don't drive a car or ride a motorbike. When I had a taxi bike guy who I used a lot and trusted I would get around a lot. When he left, I didn't. I avoided going to Chaweng from Bangrak because the taxi there and back would have cost up to 1000 baht. Everyone who lives there knows people who drink and drive. I would estimate among the expat population that this number would be cut down 90% if taxis were reasonbly priced. So you could say that dishonest and overcharging taxis are a direct cause of the dangerous drunk drivers on the island.

And the prices are still cheaper in other countries isn't even true. I lived in Dubai and the taxis were cheaper than on Samui. The starting price was about 30-60 EEK depending if you called or took from the street.. The ride to my office was 7.6 km and cost 18 AED ($5 US or 150 baht). That's the eqiuv of leaving Samui airport, going to the lake road, then to Chaweng Beach road, all the way down turning past Springer Pub, on to the Ring Road and then half way to Lamai.