Buying Second Hand - Confused About Paperwork Process

Hi, this is my first post after treading many helpful topics on here over the last few months.

After many visits to Samui over the years I am now here on a one year non immigrant ED visa, I was stamped in at BKK and have to report to Samui immigration in a couple of months time.

I have rented a house and have a one page signed contract/inventory from my Thai landlady

I have a UK passport with my visa stamped inside

So, I am looking to buy a second hand scooter and I am posting this to ask specifically about the paperwork/registration/ownership transfer process. I've read many posts that explain part of this but then seemed to go off in other tangents. The two scenarios I'm considering are:

1) Buying second hand from a dealer in Samui (could be Samui registration plates or other)

2) Buying second hand from a dealer in Bangkok (we have to make a visit anyway) and sending the bike back to Samui. I figured that the choice may be better in BKK and the bikes at the Big C are mostly BKK plates anyway.

If anyone has time to explain what papers I need and what I do in what order I would be really very grateful. Apologies for the newbie question in advance.

Cheers all

JB

Usually if you buy form a dealer they will do all for you. Part of the service and higher price you pay at a dealer

If you buy from a person, check the green book, Check the back if taxes are all current and the bike is the bike in the book.

get a signed copy of tha sellers ID card, I assume it matches the person in the green book.

A form is also avalable from the government department where you change the name in the green book.

I often ask the seller to go with me. Never have been refused.

you personally will need a copy of ID and house book or paper from the government (immigration) where you live

if you have a work permit that is helpful and don't need as much

Good luck and happy riding

When i bought a bike private i went to a bike dealer and asked for the papers needed,

i guess i had to pay 20 baht for it.

I regret that buy btw, i payed way over what it was worth because i was bent on modifying that particular model, it then turned out i couldnt modify it as i intended :whistling:

Edited by poanoi