Why Do Red Shirts Associate Poompuang With Them?

drronnie

Poompunag Duangchan was a very famous folk singer in the 80s who sadly passed away too early. However when watched some of her music clips on Youtube I see people making pro red comments and attacking the ones we are not supposed to talk about. This is just outrageous. Why do people have to make political comments on a music clip.

One person commented that if she were still alive she would endrose for the red shirts. I know she came from humble origins but that does not make her red in any way. When she passed the name Thaksin was not even relevant yet. Why not leave this wonderful singer in peace?

Pumpuang is in the public consciousness because of the movie about her which is currently in the cinemas and which I found far more enjoyable than I expected.

Incidentally, HM attended her funeral.

I watched it too on Friday and it was an excellent movie. However I hate it when people misuse her person for politics.

Because luuk thung (children of the fields) is seen as "red" music? Yellows tend to go more for phleng pheua chiwit (songs for life), though the latter is resistance music (the former more the maudlin country music style). Luuk thung is much more listenable. Phleng pheua chiwit is excruciating. (Personal opinion of course.)

Pumpuang is in the public consciousness because of the movie about her which is currently in the cinemas and which I found far more enjoyable than I expected.

Incidentally, HM attended her funeral.

No he didn't,that's an error in Wikipedia, like they say Supanburi is a province in the north of Thailand,rather Princess Sirindhorn( Prathep) was the person presiding over the cremation and lighting the funeral pyre.

It was a sad few months in Thailand at that time in 1992, apart from the untimely death of the irreplaceable Pumpuang, Honey Sri-Issan was killed when her van overturned coming back from a concert and there was Black May with the tragic loss of life just a month before Pumpuang died.

Pumpuang was unbelievable, unable to read, having left school after grade 2 primary school to work in the fields cutting sugar cane, she could remember the words to over 200 songs, and what a voice! She could bring you to tears with her ballads and in the next stroke get everyone dancing with an uptempo foot tapping number. A tremendous talent and tragic loss.